German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a Panda Sheppard 2 weeks ago. Meet Liesel

In the Waukesha, WI area...1st German Shepard....not sure how others here feel about a Panda? from what i read on line many do not accept her as a real German Shepard...ive got lots of questions

·
Registered
855 Posts
You have a lovely puppy, and as long as you're happy with her, that's what matters. The panda coat in German Shepherds is not accepted as it is outside of standard, and to have it appear you do limit your gene pool by an extreme amount as it is a rare genetic mutation. This often concerns people because that means temperament and health are often neglected in pursuit of a single trait.

For example, here's an excerpt from the VHL Genetics Website:

"The mutation that causes the Panda White pattern in German Shepherd dogs is in homozygous state (two copies of the mutation) considered embryonic lethal as no live dogs with the pattern and with two copies of the mutation have been observed. This means that pups that are homozygous for the Panda mutation do not develop in the uterus and are reabsorbed very early in the development process. Dogs that are heterozygous (one copy of the mutation) do not have any health defects associated with the Panda pattern."

In other words, if not ethically done, you risk losing many in a litter. Just like double merle breedings in other breeds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this breeder had multiple pandas....their website shows they are a white Shepard breeder...but i saw no white ones for sale...i think i saw a total of around 7 pups (from 2 different litters) and im not sure any were a normal shepard look....one i liked had a black face and a grey body.....he never looked at us, so he was out of the running...

·
Super Moderator
32,278 Posts
Hi there, and welcome! FYI, it's not "Sheppard" or "Shepard", it's shepHERD. They are a herding breed, hence the name. :)

Reactions: misfits and Femfa

·
Registered
855 Posts
*shrugs*

When you want a specific colour, and pursue breeders that only produce specific colours, you have to be careful. As long as your dog lives a long healthy life, that's what matters. Do you happen to know if your dog's parents were OFA/PennHIP tested for their hips and elbows? Or DM clear? It may be worth looking into just in case.

·
Registered
382 Posts
White German Shepherd Puppies | Ravenswood Hollow | 262-642-3841 I believe this is the breeder she is talking about i did a quick google search. One of there statements (How long does it take to house train the pups?
Amazingly many of our clients report that Ravenswood pups are housebroken from day 1 in their new families.) even the best breeder will tell you house breaking takes time, they do not come reprogrammed LOL. I cant find any clearances on them at all. I found this with more research http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/german_shepherd_dog/dog.html?id=2530780-mi-moonlight-von-ravenswood-hollow. It has nothing on it, red flag.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Just a reminder that Breeder Bashing is against forum rules. Please choose your words carefully. Best way to educate is to share what to look for in a reputable breeder, and explain why breeding outside the standard hurts the breed in general, without shooting down any particular breeder.

Thank you,

ADMIN

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Welcome to a great place of learning. Some people are not so welcoming but most are. You have a pup and learning is the key. I’m not far from u as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you are correct where i got her from....if i could go back in time i would most likely reconsider my choice...but ive made the commitment and have the dog i have....family is thrilled, dog is progressing every day

·
Registered
121 Posts
White German Shepherd Puppies | Ravenswood Hollow | 262-642-3841 I believe this is the breeder she is talking about i did a quick google search. One of there statements (How long does it take to house train the pups?
Amazingly many of our clients report that Ravenswood pups are housebroken from day 1 in their new families.) even the best breeder will tell you house breaking takes time, they do not come reprogrammed LOL. I cant find any clearances on them at all. I found this with more research http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/german_shepherd_dog/dog.html?id=2530780-mi-moonlight-von-ravenswood-hollow. It has nothing on it, red flag.

My GSD pup had about 3 total accidents inside as a pup, he was dang near house trained from day 1 (8-9 weeks).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts