German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm laughing to myself that I am posting on a GSD forum, since I have always considered myself a "cat person". I still don't know how it happened, but somehow my desire and research into getting another cat morphed into getting a dog instead....specifically a GSD, and here I am.

After doing lots of research on various breeds, my husband and I finally narrowed it down to a GSD and we are both very excited. We chose the GSD since it captures all the qualities we would like in a dog - loyalty, companionship, protection, intelligence, and most of all giving our two young sons the joy of growing up with a fantastic family dog. Both myself and my husband grew up with dogs and always agreed we wanted the same experience for our children.

I've been doing lots of reading on what to expect when you are expecting a puppy on the internet and in books. I stumbled onto this forum and it has already been a wealth of information. It has already helped me identify some breeders in our area and we are scheduled to visit Haus Juris German Shepherds this weekend. I'm also getting some ideas on how to introduce the puppy to our 2 cats, one of which I'm sure will be quite upset with the arrival of the puppy.

Thanks for all the great info!

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'm laughing to myself that I am posting on a GSD forum, since I have always considered myself a "cat person". I still don't know how it happened, but somehow my desire and research into getting another cat morphed into getting a dog instead....specifically a GSD, and here I am.

After doing lots of research on various breeds, my husband and I finally narrowed it down to a GSD and we are both very excited. We chose the GSD since it captures all the qualities we would like in a dog - loyalty, companionship, protection, intelligence, and most of all giving our two young sons the joy of growing up with a fantastic family dog. Both myself and my husband grew up with dogs and always agreed we wanted the same experience for our children.

I've been doing lots of reading on what to expect when you are expecting a puppy on the internet and in books. I stumbled onto this forum and it has already been a wealth of information. It has already helped me identify some breeders in our area and we are scheduled to visit Haus Juris German Shepherds this weekend. I'm also getting some ideas on how to introduce the puppy to our 2 cats, one of which I'm sure will be quite upset with the arrival of the puppy.

Thanks for all the great info!
I too, am a "cat person." I love cats and they've been part of my life for years. I also like GSDs and my GSD and my cats happily get along. I have a 3 pet family - 2 cats and a dog and I think its the ideal configuration! Welcome to the forum...I'm sure you will grow to be as fond of your GSD as I am of mine and there's lot to learn here! :)

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Welcome! It will help if your breeder has a cat so the puppy is used to kitty from day one:)

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Welcome, and be sure to share pics with us when you do get that new puppy home, because we sure do like to look at them. :greet:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Welcome to the forum:) We are cat lovers and dog people as well. I have two cats and 2 gsd which 1 of whom is a puppy that I just brought home yesterday and all I can say is from what have seen in our house is that everyone has to adjust to the new living situation and it takes some time ,luckily for me its around a week or so then all my animals tend to tolerate each other and can co exist for the most part ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts