German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nineteen y.o. son bought a 2 year old GSD as a gift for his GF. Long story short, it didn't work out at GF house. After a week they said that they couldn't keep him any more. Having met the dog a couple of times I knew the man he got him from mistreated him. He was pretty skittish around everyone. I knew the future for him would be pretty bleak so I took the dog from them.
I've had Duke for about a month now and I just have to say that he's really come around. Basic obedience class for him and I once a week. We train every day for 15 minutes or so. He goes to Doggy Daycare five days a week for social graces. I socialize him as much as I can.
Oh, did I mention he's from Poland? The former owner spoke almost no english either. LOL! My Polish isn't that great, but his english has picked up unbelievably in the last 3 weeks. I'm astounded by just how smart this dog is. He's coming along great and I thank God I found this forum. I've been lurking for about as long as I've owned Duke.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Dave

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Hi Dave, congrats on your new buddy:) He sounds like he's turning into a great dog under your care,,he's very handsome to:)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Welcome! This board is a great resource- there are some VERY knowledgable people here who can answer questions. Where in MA are you located?

As a side note; my little brother's GF got him a cat a few years ago for Christmas. He left for the army, and I inherited the cat. As a die-hard dog person, I think you got a better deal! :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
Welcome to this board!!!! Alot of great info here. Congrats on your new dog "Duke' a nice regal name he has :) he's handsome too!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Welcome, and Duke is a very lucky and handsome fellow! :)

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Welcome and I agree Duke is very handsome and lucky

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Welcome! Duke is a handsome boy. You did a good thing taking him in.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Charlton here. One town east of Sturbridge. Thanks to all the replies. I'll keep you posted on our progress. Two weeks ago I touuched his tail and he tried to bite me. Not vicious but to let me know not to do it. Today I combed it. Pretty cool him letting me brush and comb him. Like I said things are looking up.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Charlton here. One town east of Sturbridge. Thanks to all the replies. I'll keep you posted on our progress. Two weeks ago I touuched his tail and he tried to bite me. Not vicious but to let me know not to do it. Today I combed it. Pretty cool him letting me brush and comb him. Like I said things are looking up.
This sounds like real progress! Stick with it and stick with the board - there are many knowledgeable folks here. Keep the questions coming.

:welcome: aboard!!

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Welcome. I'm from Massachusetts too. I am 8 miles north of Boston. Sounds like you're doing a great job with your dog! He is beautiful.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Stosh
I could've used you for a crash course in Polish about a month ago. :) But seriously, this dog is really coming on strong. My vet, who is a Major in the U.S. Army that works with military dogs, said when I first got him he thought he was extremely smart and he had some sort of training. This forum is great. A lot of experience to be tapped into. Thanks again.
Dave and Duke

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
My dog's name- Stosh- really should be spelled Stache- it's the nickname for Stanislav, so Stosh in Polish, or any Eastern European language, is Stan. I suggest you get a bottle of Wisnioka, a cherry vodka, put on some Chuck Norris dvds and have a great evening with Duke. You might have to call him Duka once in a while to sound authentic. Sounds like he's a keeper

·
Registered
907 Posts
:welcome: Everybody needs a second chance. Thanks for giving it.:thumbup:

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Welcome. I'm from Massachusetts too. I am 8 miles north of Boston. Sounds like you're doing a great job with your dog! He is beautiful.
Marlborough here, work in Andover. Nice looking fella.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Welcome from Haverhill, MA! Sounds like duke is a great dog.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Duke update

I haven't posted in a while but I go on here quite often and read, read, read. Great place.

What a fantastic dog. He's still my shadow. He follows me around the yard when I mow the lawn. On hot days he lays in shady spots as long as he can see me.

Have had numerous parties with 20+ people, both here and at our summer place in RI. Now he likes to meet new people, but still comes over and "tags" me with his nose every few minutes.

Also, he's developed a shoe fetish. Won't chew them but likes to steal them off the persons feet and then go lay with his head on it. If your up to it he'll let you chase him a bit just to put some moves on you to fake you out. then when you tell him to leave it he drops it and will not bug you any more. unless having a little GSD spit on your shoe bugs you.

To any one reading this post and thinking about where to get advice about your GSD, this is the place. You won't find a better, well run, passionate about their dogs forum than this one. :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts