German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings new to the forum. In the process of adopting our first German Shepherd from a breeder in N IN called Stein Solide Kennels. Have been extremely happy with the communications I’ve received from the owner. Anyone else have experience with them?

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Hi Gunnie and WELCOME! :greet:

You may want to continue to research breeders before you make a commitment here.

There is not a lot of info on their site. Very generic.

The pedigree's and health certifications are not listed on the sires and dams.

A reputable breeder would be choosing the puppy for you. Pups are around 7 weeks old before a breeder would know the the traits of a pup that would fit your needs and wants.

From site:

Here is our simple 4 step German Shepherd puppy adoption process:

1. Find out when we will be having our next litter or one that will work for you
  2. Place the small deposit of $300.00
  3. Pick out your puppy at week 4
  4. Pick up your puppy at week 8
Very simple! Very Easy!
https://midwestgermanshepherds.com/

There are many qualified people here to assist you! A little info will help!

*Which "TYPE" of German Shepherd are you looking for? Show Line? ... Working Line? (see this page for "Types": (Types of German Shepherds, by Wildhaus Kennels ) )

*What activities or sports do you plan on doing with him/her.

*What type of lifestyle do you have that will include the dog?

*Tell a little about yourself/your family!

*What is your price range? (usual is $1,600 to $3,000)

*How far are you willing to travel (hours)?

*Are you willing to have a dog shipped?

Here are some good reading materials!
Things to look for in a 'Responsible' Breeder

(German Shepherd and Schutzhund Articles, by Wildhaus Kennels )

Moms :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Website was a little hard for me to navigate at first the Sire’s Pedigree is on the website. I will post a link to his now. He is not the owner of the Dam and is supposed to be getting me her pedigree information.

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/german_shepherd_dog/dog.html?id=2482813-cerry-orlicky-poklad

I spoke with the breeder and told him what I was looking for in a dog and he selected one based on those attributes. Looking for a family companion that will join me and the wife hiking, walking, and generally enjoying the outdoors. No plans for competition at this point. I also wanted a dog that would be good with other animals specifically cats as we have two. As well as children since we are planning to start a family in the next few years. I had been doing quite a bit of browsing on here prior and followed the reputable breeder finders and felt it matched after having spoken with him. Very much like the forum as it’s helped answer many questions so far.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Regarding the Sire’s pedigree if I am reading it correctly their is a long list of working competition present. As well as sound hips according to FCI or BVA if I’m reading them correctly. Though I would feel more comfortable if some of you here would look it over as GS pedigrees are new to me entirely.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Just based on the website, with no personal knowledge of this breeder...

1. What is their breeding program? it looks like a mash of lines with little thought.whats the pedigree of the female?
2. You are not Adopting. You are buying. I hate that political pet speak to give everyone a warm and fuzzy.
3. Are they working their dogs in any way? I don't care what the studs pedigree says if they aren't working the dogs to really know the temperament.
4. Ask for information for OFA or SV.
5. Czech dogs are known to have higher suspicion and aggression. What is this dogs temperament like and what has he produced.

It kind of sounds like you've already made up your mind. So you should ask these questions before giving a deposit.

·
Registered
307 Posts
My 2cents if you really want to go with this breeder is to educate yourself a lot (if you haven't already read a dozen books and more) about German Shepherds in general and evaluating puppies.

I am a "noob" to GSDs. I was looking for a dog to do Schutzhund with when neighbors came and said their GSDs had puppies and did I want a free puppy?

Long story short, I opted for "free puppy" and to see what he/she turned out to be. Maybe schutzhund would be doable, maybe not. I'd see how I was as a trainer, what the dog's personality turned out like etc. I had already read A LOT on the subject.

I also knew that my couple of visits to see the pups (and parents) at 2 wks and 5 wks wouldn't tell me a heck of a lot. A puppy personality isn't set until 8 weeks. He's still figuring out his place in the litter, dealing with stresses, etc.

But at 5 weeks, between the influence of other people choosing their pups and me being able to pick the one I was initially drawn to anyway, I got the one I wanted. I wanted a pup like you describe: A companion animal who would go on hikes with us and be good around other people.

NATURE: I looked for the pup to be neither bold and out-in-front, always tussling with a littermate, but not shy and afraid either. The one I liked (and who seemed to like me in return) was the "middle-of-the-pack" pup. He liked to sit and observe things going on around him. He was quiet. He tolerated being picked up and held.

NURTURE: When I got him at 7 weeks, I started easy on training, and mostly just played with him and let him sleep. Started clicker training. As the weather warmed, took him out for short walks and environmental socialization. Got him comfortable with car rides. Let people meet him down at the waterfront but made sure he was never overwhelmed. Watched him to gauge his reactions to/feelings about things. Did not punish him if he was scared/anxious. Rewarded him when he overcame hesitancy and walked up to sniff a scary plastic bag or traffic cone, etc. Rewarded him for trying to get on the fallen log, or climb the rock. Then rewarded him for being able to walk the fallen log, and scale the rock.

A dog has a lot of "built in" traits but a lot you can help shape by what you expose him to and how you train. Read up on all you can. THis forum is great for that, and there are lots of excellent books too. Leerburg is a good resource. Dave Kroyer has youtube videos I love to learn from.

My dog is a working line type, non-papered dog and he's awesome. Will be a year old this month. Went for a 5 mi walk with him last weekend, did little training activities with him along the way, let him do lots of sniffing and eat lots of treats. Saw a tree with a crotch maybe 4 ft off the ground and thought "I bet that dog could climb this tree." Asked him to "climb", he jumped up and promptly fell into a pile of leaves, rolled over, looked at me. I got out a cookie and said "good try! Good boy!", gave him the cookie. Asked him to climb again, he jumped up there and ta-da! My dog was standing in a tree.

These dogs have a lot of heart and they are fun to do things with. I wish you the best of luck in your search for your new best friend, and I know you'll make that happen if you take time to learn as much as you can about them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just based on the website, with no personal knowledge of this breeder...

1. What is their breeding program? it looks like a mash of lines with little thought.whats the pedigree of the female? The father was not breed but this breeder but bought us my understanding.

I am supposed to be receiving the females pedigree shortly.
2. You are not Adopting. You are buying. I hate that political pet speak to give everyone a warm and fuzzy.
3. Are they working their dogs in any way? I don't care what the studs pedigree says if they aren't working the dogs to really know the temperament.

I do not know and didn’t ask as I am not planning to show the dog. However I will do so.
4. Ask for information for OFA or SV.

It’s my understanding that the dads Hip: ED ( 0/0) - Elbows: HD A (0/0) on the pedigree was in regards to BVA hip scores is that incorrect?
5. Czech dogs are known to have higher suspicion and aggression. What is this dogs temperament like and what has he produced.
I’ve not been to see him as of yet the puppy I was planning to purchase is 3mo and from what I’ve seen via videos I’ve been sent it is well mannered and calm. Does well around cats and follows commands. He did tell me the dog is alert regarding strangers and would bark at them and alert until being introduced.

It kind of sounds like you've already made up your mind. So you should ask these questions before giving a deposit.
Answered within quote the questions. Thank you for the time taken.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts