German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fostering a sweet 9yo GSD (been here about 4 days). He is very nice and in his previous home he was never aggressive toward the other dogs. I made the mistake of giving my lab a treat to chew on while I walked the foster this morning. When I came back my dog still had the treat in his mouth and the foster walked near him and my dog snarled at him. Next thing I know the foster is on top of him pinning him down snarling. We yelled and the fight broke up but now I am concerned. Is it possible that this was just a one time thing? I realize my dog was the culprit but was surprised at the foster's reaction. I know for sure he is not an aggressive boy because I know the family very well and my dog is not aggressive either (usually). Thanks for any input, would like to keep him here as in every other way things were going great. emily

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
keep in mind your foster is in a new place. He's very possibly stressed and still figuring out all is okay. but i would recommend keeping an eye on interactions. It may take a while before your foster is comfortable.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I agree you need to keep an eye on your foster (actually both your dogs). I've heard it takes weeks for a new dog to figure out a new home. Not just it's position, but that YOU are the leader.

So really working on your leadership role in the home with all your dogs. Stuff we take for granted with our 'old' dogs but need to clarify with a new pup. Don't free feed. Make sure our dogs 'work' for their treats and that they come from your hand. Don't take for granted all the dogs will 'like' each other or know how to interact so you need to be there.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Here's what I see....

Your dog was guarding his chew. I think that you need to work on resource guarding with him so that he knows you will take charge when someone else is in his space. this is something I deal with in my house. We have a resource guarder. You have to work on that individually so he doesn't feel the need to do that.

Second, I would say your foster reacted to the "aggression" as a threat and thought of it as self defense. Once again, you need to place yourself in a position in their eyes that you are in charge.

i would start using NILIF (Nothing In Life is Free) on both of them. You can do a google search and come up with much information.

Second, no chews/toys/treats unless both have and are supervised.

Third, I would NOT leave them alone together on the chance that something happens while you aren't there. We have two females here that we don't dare leave alone without crating one. 99.9% of the time they are great together. It's the 0.01% that we have to worry about.

I think what you have right now are two very nice dogs that are confused about their place in the house. You need to show them that both are safe, both are loved and that you will be the one to solve the problems. You really have to have good timing and be on top of things.

Just as an example, our oldest boxer (11 yrs old) was smelling Jax's bottom while she was laying on the ottoman at my feet. Jax curled her lip at her and gave a little growl. I was so amazed that Jax did that I just watched her. She did it again and Banshee continued to sniff her butt. She did it a third time and as I reached for her to stop her and tell Banshee to move back, she came off the ottoman and attacked. Lots of noise, no bloodshed, all happened in less than 90 seconds. That was 100% my fault because I didn't react to let her know I had it under control and would get Banshee out of her space.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i wouldn't consider the fosters action as a one time event.
i also do think you should consider the Labs action as
a one time event. treat them in seperate rooms. maybe
feed them in seperate rooms. hopefuuly they will work things out.
keep an eye on them.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am fostering an 8 year old very sweet female and just a few days into her stay she and my 5 year old had a little altercation (nothing serious) but it kind of freaked me out because my dog is not aggressive at all and she is quite timid. We were going out for a hike and Buddy (my 5 year old) got a little rowdy wanting to play and I think it scared her and she went after him. It only lasted a few seconds and I got them settled down. She has been here now almost 6 weeks and I've had no other problems so I think it was just that she was getting used to her new home and surroundings. I have supervised them very closely and been consistent with what's expected and they get along great now.
Melinda

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL well now I feel better knowing it happens to other people. I guess I was disappointed that it happened and also abit concerned in case my dog gets hurt by the new dog. I walked them together today (usually do it separately) and they spent alot of time sniffing stuff in the fields nose to nose and walking side by side. I feed the newcomer outside now as my dog is anxious to see what the other one got. I will watch out for mine resource guarding also. emily
I am fostering an 8 year old very sweet female and just a few days into her stay she and my 5 year old had a little altercation (nothing serious) but it kind of freaked me out because my dog is not aggressive at all and she is quite timid. We were going out for a hike and Buddy (my 5 year old) got a little rowdy wanting to play and I think it scared her and she went after him. It only lasted a few seconds and I got them settled down. She has been here now almost 6 weeks and I've had no other problems so I think it was just that she was getting used to her new home and surroundings. I have supervised them very closely and been consistent with what's expected and they get along great now.
Melinda

1 - 7 of 7 Posts