German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 8-10 month old male who was in a shelter for about two weeks.
He seemed shut down in his cage and would run around grabbing and destroying toys out in the dog yard. He didn't tail chase in the short time I met him but now that I have adopted him a few people who work there have mentioned he'd chase his tail and spin well outside.
He chases his tail and spins when ever I am around him showing him attention but not if crated or I pay no attention to him.
I took him to the vet yesterday and my vet is very concerned he has OCD and this may become a huge issue with him and his ability to be adopted.
She mentioned meds. but we are going to try behavior modification first.
I've only had him two days and he is still outside in a kennel run with toys and a bed and of course water. I have other dogs of my own who are in the house. He has met a few of them briefly and although not aggressive he goes on the muscle and is rough with them.
A lot of I got no manners and no control of myself stuff.
I am very worried this is going to be a big deal. I am going to sink a ton of time and money into him and he isn't ever going to be able to be adopted.
Anyone have some suggestions? I am trying to redirect him to a toy when he stars spinning or before. I am going to start bringing him in a for a few minutes on leash and work on correcting and redirecting him when he tries to get his tail. But even if I fix the issue here, when and if he is adopted it may start all over again. I wish the shelter people would have told me he did this, I feel I could have then done a better assessment. I am sure they saw it as no big deal but it is and can and will be.
Just kind of a vent and hoping someone has suggestion.

Thanks Sue and Bumper

·
Registered
116 Posts
He's excited, higher-energy, and insufficiently exercised. He's a young dog that's been cooped up for at least 2 weeks. That energy has to go somewhere so his, with your presence (which puts him over the top), is directed into spinning. Exercise him to exhaustion and it should fix it. Let up on the exercise and it will likely return. I've had several dogs from shelters that did the same thing from being locked up and they all turned around with exercise. Consider flirt pole work, 1.5 hr walk, treadmill work, jogging, bicycling or rollerblading (for you - dog does not rollerblade well), and multiple short training sessions during the day as ways to tire the dog out. It will take a few days to bring him down to normal, then maintenance exercise after that (at least an hour's walk, but even though probably won't be enough for a young dog, so supplement as necessary).

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I agree he sounds way overstimulated and underexercised.

Firstly, he needs to RUN. As in panting, tounge lolling out of the mouth, and eyes content RUN. Is your backyard large enough to play fetch or with a flirtpole? Or do you have access to a treadmill?

If he has no leash manners I wouldn't risk a bike or rollerblading as he could easily hurt you and himself if he took off or misbehaved.

Once his energy has been spent I'd crack down on obedience, which probably means he'll be leashed every moment he's out of the run. Even just having him leashed to you during the day will tire him out physically and mentally as he follows you around and you can work on basics like sit and down continually. Have you looked at hiring a trainer for obedience? A good trainer should be able to help you with all the behavioural issues which can greatly improve his chances of being adopted.

Good luck, with work hopefully he'll be a excellent companion for someone :) He has a much better chance of help with you then sitting in a kennel at the shelter. I think for every moment of work you'll put into him he'll pay you back tenfold for sure

1 - 3 of 3 Posts