German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stella is has been in Fromms Large Breed Puppy food for a while as she is almost 10 months.

I am considering switching to something else bc she is losing interest it and will leave the bowl for a few hours and eat here and there throughout the day.

This has caused missed meals if I have to bring her somewhere before she get around to eating.

Anyone have recommendations for a brand that is good for a dog that has pretty low food motivation??

·
Registered
322 Posts
Has she had her heat cycle ? Some dogs tend to lose appetite during that period, mine did.
Some also seem to gain appetite based on other posts on this forum. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has she had her heat cycle ? Some dogs tend to lose appetite during that period, mine did.
Some also seem to gain appetite based on other posts on this forum. Just something to consider.
She is spayed.

·
Registered
Zeppelin - 2 yr old black GSD. Athena - 7 yr old Rottweiler.
136 Posts
Zepp is the same, zero interest in breakfast. I bought a high quality salmon oil for his skin issues to add to his food, and now he gobbles up every meal!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Zepp is the same, zero interest in breakfast. I bought a high quality salmon oil for his skin issues to add to his food, and now he gobbles up every meal!
I’ve tried coconut oil but she still leaves some. Salmon oil is a great idea. I’m sure that is stinky and she’ll love that.

·
Registered
Zeppelin - 2 yr old black GSD. Athena - 7 yr old Rottweiler.
136 Posts
I’ve tried coconut oil but she still leaves some. Salmon oil is a great idea. I’m sure that is stinky and she’ll love that.
Oh it’s stinky all right! Haha.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hendrix started being picky with his food about 7mths and has been like that since and eats maybe 3.5 cups a day and usually not til like 3pm he will eat . Karma also started becoming picky and she eats 4 cups 2x a day. But the last few days I have been throwing food in the yard and they will forage it immediately. Also they always feed them in their crates with their bowls but i now pour the food out their bowls onto floor and they will immediately eat as well. So I’m not sure why it works but it does lol Hendrix eats Victors Hi pro and Karma Fromm LBP but I’m switching her to victors as well

·
Registered
32,783 Posts
Stella is has been in Fromms Large Breed Puppy food for a while as she is almost 10 months.

I am considering switching to something else bc she is losing interest it and will leave the bowl for a few hours and eat here and there throughout the day.

This has caused missed meals if I have to bring her somewhere before she get around to eating.

Anyone have recommendations for a brand that is good for a dog that has pretty low food motivation??
Give her 15 minutes and pick it up. She'll eat when she's hungry. It's very rare for a dog to starve themselves. If you start adding toppers and catering to her, you will continue to have this issue. So I would try putting her on regular food schedule first and see if that doesn't fix the problem. You aren't hungry if you snack all day long either.

At 10 months, you can probably consider transitioning from a puppy food to an adult food though. She should be done growing. Did she have a heat prior to being spayed?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Give her 15 minutes and pick it up. She'll eat when she's hungry. It's very rare for a dog to starve themselves. If you start adding toppers and catering to her, you will continue to have this issue. So I would try putting her on regular food schedule first and see if that doesn't fix the problem. You aren't hungry if you snack all day long either.

At 10 months, you can probably consider transitioning from a puppy food to an adult food though. She should be done growing. Did she have a heat prior to being spayed?
No she never went into heat. I sure hope she’s not done growing she’s only 52 pounds lol.

·
Registered
32,783 Posts
No she never went into heat. I sure hope she’s not done growing she’s only 52 pounds lol.
at 10 months? Her bones are probably done growing. Especially with an early spay. Females typically stop, or at least dramatically slow down, growth at their first heat (usually at about 10 months).

So 52# for a female at 10 months is not an overly small female, depending on the lines. She'll be within standard as an adult. She might be leggy because of the early spay but she's not going to fill out like an intact dog would, which is NOT the same as her bones being done growing. My 3 yr old is 58#. 60-65# is a pretty good average for an adult female. Yours will probably be around in the 60# range.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts