German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I’m brand new and found my way here because we picked up a supposedly 8 week old GS puppy today. It was a spur of the moment thing and he was one of 5 pups from an ‘oops’ litter. The owner claimed he is pure bred, however that doesn’t matter to us BUT my husband and I are convinced he is NOT 8 weeks old. He weighs 5lbs and just seems so tiny. I’m not convinced he is a pure bred, his ears just don’t seem that large but then again if he’s pretty young, maybe he has a lot of growing to do yet? Any thoughts? I’m calling tomorrow as soon as the vet opens to get him seen. Here’s Dash 🐶

Attachments

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Does not look like 8 weeks to me. Also does not look like a German Shepherd, but a cutie with out a doubt.
You should get him to a vet as soon as possible and they will be able to give you a good guess on age. Let us know and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
He looks like a mix. If the sire is a smaller breed, he could be 8 weeks. The vet can tell you more. You can get a DNA test.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yes, I'd do an Embark DNA test on him and I'd also go for the health test through them also. Tells you what you're puppy may be susceptible to, genetically,
Agree, get him in to a vet ASAP. he needs puppy shots right away. He sure is adorable. Love his name too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts