German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a 7 week old GSD as you can see in my profile pic :blush:, just have a couple questions... even tho he is so young, is it ok for him to climb a set of stairs? (7 steps and they are carpeted and solid siding, i don't let him go down himself yet).
Is it fine for him to follow me EVERYWHERE, he won't even leave my bedroom when im asleep, and the medication im on kinda helps me sleep in till around noon (i still do manage to get him out of his crate to go potty, and he is doing SOOO well holding it in, only 1 accident in 3 days), last night he did very well in his kennel, with only mild whining for a couple minutes then asleep :laugh:, so i got a good nights sleep last night. How often should i crate him? he seems to go near his kennel and falls asleep but i cant get him to go into his open kennel to sleep (which i know i have time to work on, but i want to get it right)
and humping :wild:, he's only doing it mildly, and usually large objects, but today he tried humping my leg as i was playing with him on the floor, i know its normal, but whats a good way to redirect it, usually i just grab a toy and smother him with it, he like the attention but i want to make sure he doesn't go around becoming a leg humper (I HATE THOSE DOGS!!!) neutering is not an option, i don't plan on breeding but he is the only other male in the house of 7, and in my opinion there are more negative things vs positives on neutering...
and last but not least, i keep reading on RAW diets... are you talking about LITERAL raw meat? my cooking skills are so bad that i won't even eat what i cook LOL, right now he's on eagle pack puppy food (from the breeder), ever since i started giving him treats for pottying outside, giving treats to other people to greet him with... among other silly habits that i would like him to keep (he's already walking on a leash and beside, or slightly behind me. and also won't enter the door or walk up the stairs until i have done so) he has had loose (not diarrhea) just making me wonder, not worry.

SIGH... soo... if you have made it this far and are still awake, and critiques/comments/advise is welcome :help::halogsd:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Hmmm . . . well you definitely need to crate him when you're not in the room or when you can't supervise him.

Yes, they mean raw meat and it's actually better for dogs than dry or canned dog food. We can't eat it, but they can and they can benefit from it.

You should read around the forums, especially the stickied threads.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
It's normal for him to follow you everywhere, that's why they're called velcro dogs. He'll gain a little independence in the future but for now you're his anchor. And yes, he's too young to climb stairs and that shouldn't be encouraged until his hips are more developed, he'll let you know when he can do it. Until then, you can carry him up the stairs to protect his hip joints. The humping thing happens when they're really little sometimes and goes away, but you're doing the right thing by redirecting him.

Yep, raw means raw.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
he just gets squirmy when i pick him up and he starts whining, im not sure when he would be able to climb stairs, ill stop doing it for now, but he seems to know how to do it.. so now im all confused :confused:

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
He's going to follow around because he's a baby and he knows you are going to protect him. I know, always underfoot. I've stepped on more than one puppy in my days.

The humping happens. He'll grow out of it.

Welcome.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Just enjoy all the puppyness and don't worry, he sounds completely normal- a squirmy, needy little pup. Seven weeks old is very young, most pups don't come home that early, just give him time and patience and kindness- all the things you're doing. Do you have a crate for him? That will become invaluable in the months to come

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes i am crating him... he does great at night, and im working on putting him in there during the day for about 15 minutes when i notice he's starting to fall asleep... although ive tried leaving him and he wakes right up, so i just lay next to his kennel and watch a movie on my ipod LOL.

I have started carrying him up/down the stairs except the one outside the garage which is 1 step and he seems fine with it..

ive been looking into the RAW diet thing... and i see a lot of equally positive/negative, so since i cant cook anything pre-prepared i think im gonna stick to kibble with some wet food... but what i can do is add some stuff into the mix, i saw rice in a few posts, can it just be boiled then put in the fridge and just mix it in w/ the food? any other food for dummies tips?

·
Registered
6 Posts
well while having my German Shepherd we have noticed that with them sleeping in the room with you is because they are such loyal and loving dogs. ours will still sit beside the bathtub while were in the shower. and along with going through a doorway. they respect you and know that you should enter first. jumping, just everytime they jump on you lift your knee and let them bump into it with their chest, it doesnt hurt them but they dont like it so eventually they will stop. we got mysteek at 6weeks old and she was fine going up and down stairs. we just made sure to watch her. but if the crate is in another room try putting it in your room, it should help them cause then they know that your there with them. now mysteek knows that once we open her crate its time to go in and we dont have any problems. if it helps and you have the money we baught a dvd set from a guy who calls himself "the dogfather" unbelieveable what that dvd did for us.good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts