German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we just brought home our new 5Week old GS. He has been screaming and howling since we tried to leave him in his cage so that we can go to bed. He is not trained as of yet so therefore, we are not comfortable leaving him loose in the house. Please help, we are tired :cry:

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
who in the world would let a 5 week old pup leave the mother ?? Please tell me this is a typo. This dog still needs the mother for nourishment and needs the litter for social development.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
5 weeks old? That is really young to be separated from his mother and litter mates. He is probably very confused and scared and lonely.

I would put his crate right next to your bed and either sleep on the floor next to the crate for a couple of nights or stick your fingers through the crate so that he knows you're right there. You might also want to put some stuffies in there with him so that he feels cozier. It can take a while for them to get used to sleeping on their own in a crate, especially when they've just come from a nice warm puppy pile!

During the day you want to be sure the crate is a wonderful place full of food, toys and treats so that he gets more comfortable with it as a safe and good space.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
5 weeks old? That is really young to be separated from his mother and litter mates. He is probably very confused and scared and lonely.

I would put his crate right next to your bed and either sleep on the floor next to the crate for a couple of nights or stick your fingers through the crate so that he knows you're right there. You might also want to put some stuffies in there with him so that he feels cozier. It can take a while for them to get used to sleeping on their own in a crate, especially when they've just come from a nice warm puppy pile!

During the day you want to be sure the crate is a wonderful place full of food, toys and treats so that he gets more comfortable with it as a safe and good space.
:thumbup: ditto

Pups should leave the litter between 8 and 12wks of age

It might also help to put an old shirt or something with your scent on it in the crate with him.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Where did you get him from?

Five weeks is pretty early to leave mom and his brothers and sisters. Is there anyway to go back for a couple more week at least?

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
who in the world would let a 5 week old pup leave the mother ?? Please tell me this is a typo. This dog still needs the mother for nourishment and needs the litter for social development.
Carm... you'd be surprised how often this type of question comes up around here. I'll bet it's not a typo as much as we all wish it was.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new puppy. You'll find a lot of great information on this forum. Mac cried at first but then learned to love his crate. A friend of mine said sleeping on the floor outside of the crate comforted her puppies...Hope it gets better soon. Also, just curious did you mean 5 months or is your puppy actually only 5 weeks old?

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Our Gunnar was abandonded at 5 weeks with all of his littermates. We got him at 6 1/2 weeks.
I slept on the floor, in front of his kennel with the door open for the first couple weeks. Lots of times, he just wanted warmth and contact. He could cuddle into my underarms to get warm.
After he turned 8 weeks, we left him in the kennel, door closed, left the kennel in our bedroom. There were a couple of nights of crying, but he figured it out pretty quickly.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I agree with the above that 5 weeks is way to young unless there were circumstances that warranted it.

As for the crying/screaming, sorry get used to it:)) Is the crate in your bedroom? that may help, try putting a LARGE chewy/toy in with him,

He's just a small baby, alone, and these dogs don't particularly like being 'alone',,the crate crying is something you just have to wait out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
When we brought our Zoe home (she was 8 weeks), the first night we left her in the crate downstairs. What a disaster, she cried all night - literally.

Next night we brought her crate in our room, and she was better, but I slept on the floor beside her crate. Half way through the night I went back to the bed.

She has been fine ever since. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Hi, we just brought home our new 5Week old GS. He has been screaming and howling since we tried to leave him in his cage so that we can go to bed. He is not trained as of yet so therefore, we are not comfortable leaving him loose in the house. Please help, we are tired :cry:
5 weeks is way too young, illegal in most states...... but if they have the puppy they have it.

Since ALL of our pups would be in a freaked out panic when abandoned by their mom and littermates, what you are going thru is normal and expected by a healthy normal puppy. Desperately attempting to get back with their mom. Since you are going to have to replace mom and littermates and all the normal learning and socialization your pup should have been getting in the next 3 weeks........................... (when most of us get our pups) you'll just have more work on your hands.

There's alot of information on the following sites to help, good luck!

Whelping Puppies, Puppies 8 weeks

Should I take the puppy home at 6 weeks or wait? - MyCorgi.com

Whats the appropriate age to get a puppy? - Yahoo! Answers

Really great site

Your New Puppy

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
You're going to get more tired. :) It's like having a new baby in the house. I just brought home an 8-week old and he howls and screams pretty much non-stop when I'm not interacting with him. Unfortunately there's really no way to get them to stop. As others have said, 5 weeks is waaaay too young to leave Mom and brothers and sisters and he misses them and is afraid of being alone. Keep him in a kennel in the room with you. Also remember that at his age, he can't hold it all night yet so you'll need to set your alarm to take him out every couple of hours. My 8-week old can hold it 5 or 6 hours at night; at five weeks you're probably looking at taking him out every 3 or 4 hours.

·
Registered
58 Posts
5 wks is very young to leave mom be sure that you socailize this puppy now. Get him use to as many things as possible. Can you still contact the litter owner? If you can get a small blanket (I send home baby recieving blankets when I send out a new puppy) rub the mother and any puppies that are left. this will give the puppy a scent that he knows and will comfort him.(Smell is the first thing to develope on a puppy.)

·
Registered
495 Posts
We got our girl at 6 weeks. I put a waterproof sheet on the bed and she slept with us the first night (and every night until about 2 weeks ago at 5 months when she prefers her bed on the floor). She never cried once or fussed. We took her out every 3-4 hours.

At about 4 months we started to seriously work on crate training and built up to 3-4 hours over the last month and a half. No crying, no fussing, just eats her marrow bone that she knows is coming when she's in the crate.

Our rationale for that, especially the sleeping with us, is that we took her away from her mom, litter mates, and other human family and keeping her with us was a way to make her feel safe, warm, and comforted. For us, it worked.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts