German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We rescued a second dog a few months back that we're almost positive is german shepherd/husky mix. He's about 2 and was found on the streets in Tennessee very sick. We currently already have a husky (Bella) that I bikejor with and have started to train our newest pup (Scout) to also run in front of the bike. He seems to absolutely love it and is fantastic at it, but I'm wondering how serious the potential hip issues in the GSD breed is? What is a recommended activity for them and if running like this is okay, what are the distances I should restrict him to? I'm interested to know how early you guy started your dogs on hip and joint supplements and if that has seemed to help with keeping possible hip issues at bay?

Also, we are very strict with him which is what we were told we should do with his breed and it's paid off as he's becoming a very well mannered pup considering having no manners just a few months back. But, he does have a bad habit of getting nippy and mouthy if he's overly excited or not getting his way. We say "no" and give him a tap on the nose to try and teach him to break this habit, but that has not seemed to help much. He's never bitten and don't believe that's his intention, but also want him to know he cannot behave that way.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,889 Posts
"tapping" on the nose is, well, stop doing that. Redirect or put him through some of his "paces" (as in a "down") instead. "Tapping" or whacking the dog can just rev them up + it's not the best training method.

Sorry to be so short (because there's more) but I am dead tired tonight.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
AGREE.... You are actually encouraging him to nip back. Is he excited and using his mouth or is he using his mouth to more or less direct you. If it is the later you need to redirect as mentioned and DO NOT LET HIM WIN. Strict is one thing but a GSD its very smart and is eager to please so reward strong as you train with praise and acknowledge when he pleases.

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
Welcome and congratulations! I think you are correct on the mix.

He's old enough, get X-rays done and eliminate the guess work of your activity plans. Agree with middleofnowhere, nose tapping will usually just ramp them up, collar corrections offer a more effective and consistent method of correction. Keeping a short grab handle attached to the collar for quick easy reach will help to keep corrections timely.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
He looks like he has nice structure and musculature in the rear. Unless you are seeing pain, I wouldn't be concerned about hip issues.

Bit of advice on corrections that I've done my best to follow- always mark first with "no" followed by the correction, with rare exceptions. Then "yes" and reward behavior you like. That way you establish a language of communication that is useful for many different scenarios.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts