German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pet Food | Dog & Cat Food | Diamond Pet Foods

Dog food advisor

Has anyone else tried it? Likes/dislikes?
I picked up a bag of the Whitefish & sweet pot..
I use the Diamond Naturals Athlete, among others, so switching the dogs over didn't cause any issues.
I does have a low(IMO) kcal/cup count though. Although it seems like lots of grain free kibbles do:confused:
Price isn't bad by me, but if I have to feed more may be a different story, LOL

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many dogs do you have? For an adult dog, 2 cups a day is sufficient.
:laugh: Really, 2 cups a day for an active/working GSD. Just what kind of super food are you feeding?
Heck even my 10 y/o Lab gets more than that of the Extreme Athlete, which has a lot more calories, fat & protein.

For the record I am currently feeding an active, being worked adult GSD,
a growing GSD puppy &
an active adult Lab.

·
Registered
624 Posts
:laugh: Really, 2 cups a day for an active/working GSD. Just what kind of super food are you feeding?
Heck even my 10 y/o Lab gets more than that of the Extreme Athlete, which has a lot more calories, fat & protein.

For the record I am currently feeding an active, being worked adult GSD,
a growing GSD puppy &
an active adult Lab.
Mine is a pet and companion. You GSD may need more feedings if its a working dog but you do not want to overfeed it. I feed mine Canidae.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
It's a little light on calories. My young working-line boy has a hard time keeping weight on and he eats 4 cups a day of a 450 cal/cup food. My old dog eats 2 cups a day of a 350 cal/cup food.

It's also a bit lower in protein than most grain-free foods. I'm willing to bet there's a lot of sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, and garbanzo beans.

I really don't get this trend of making "grain free" foods and then filling them up with alternate carb sources unless your dog is truly allergic to grains. Diamond Extreme Athlete has more meat than this grain-free food.

·
Registered
184 Posts
How much does this cost compared to the others?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Emoore,
I completely agree! Looking at the ingredients list, it does have quite a bit of sweet pot/pot. in it.
I am a little disappointed with the quality of this kibble, as far as grain free goes. While my dogs seem to like the taste, it's not worth the extra $ I'll be spending just to feed them a larger quantity.
I will go back to using the other grain free kibble brands I've used before. Better bang for my $.

Norman,
Don't worry my dogs are far from being overfed & overweight :)
They are lean, fit, & have nice muscle tone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts