German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I caved and bought a Ruff Land (formerly Ruff Tuff) kennel at Cabela's today. They're pricey, but not top of the line. This crate is for my work truck.

It's the Large Size, which seems just right for Willow (she's about 63 pounds).

For some background for those who aren't familiar with Willow...she seems to love car rides but she is a WHINER. She also does not do well if not in a crate in the car; she paces, whines even worse, etc. My best guess is it is overstimulation; she doesn't seem to get sick or scared, just SOOOOO EXCITED OMGOMGOMG.

Anyway, in my last truck, I put a cheapo PetMate crate in the backseat of the truck. It helped a bit with the whining but not completely.

So, I just got a brand new work truck. Technically we are not allowed to have dogs in the trucks, ever, period. We are supposed to crate them in the bed. So I decided to follow the rules now with my new truck, PLUS I won't have to listen to her whining anymore! I bought some eye bolts and secured them to the tie-downs with one ratchet strap, and put another ratchet strap across the front (see pics). I may end up moving that front strap to the bottom of the crate instead of the top, I dunno. I am planning to buy a Mud River cover for wintertime (eventually) but for now the crate will not be covered.

I guess my original plan was just to keep this crate in there forever...it's heavy and a pain to move around. But......should I like...not leave this thing open to the elements all the time? For you people who crate your dogs in the truck bed, do the crates pretty much stay there all the time?

Also, should I work Willow up to riding in this gradually? She has ridden in the truck bed free before (on dirt roads, going very slow...NEVER at high speeds), and obviously she is crate-trained and loves her crates. I just hope this wouldn't, you know, freak her out or anything, cuz if she got freaked out I'm not gonna know about it. So far she is happy to go and lie down in it while the truck is parked, we just haven't gone anywhere.

Also for the record, I am not planning on leaving Willow in this crate for long periods of time, or during bad weather; I feel like she wouldn't get very wet in this if it rained, but I don't know yet. But mainly this is for when the vehicle is moving, like if I bring her with me to the field, or if we go on camping trips and are en route, etc. Whenever we're parked she'll be out, most likely. If I do end up having to leave her for longer periods or during bad weather I'd probably put the crate in the backseat.

Anyway I guess just looking for general tips.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
I'm sure someone will disagree, but I don't work up to things like this. Shadow HOWLED from Calgary to Canmore, about an hour. She had a fun day, chased some squirrels and slept all the way back. Mission accomplished. She was fine, I knew she was fine. So I let her work it out. Bud was less then amused with her crap, but like her he was fine, so I let him work it out.
Both dogs were secured in their own crates, not both in one.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RuffLand has a tie down bracket kit, it may be useful information to you, or not. :unsure:

Yeah, I saw that on their website, but it was $27! Those four eye bolts (only 2 of which I needed) were $8. Granted they don't close completely so I may return them for others that do (for now I flattened the strap so that it won't slip through the opening), but they do the job. My trainer recommended them, that's what she uses.

·
Registered
15,936 Posts
Backing up a little bit here --- I can't see that the crate is also fastened to the right side of the bed. I'd do that if it isn't and I'd run one across the top of the crate, too. Now long ago I lived in Bozeman for a couple of years. 20 to 40 below - I would not have the dog in the crate in the bed of the truck at that temp. It could also be windy as all get out - not Wyoming windy but still.

If you're concerned about UV damage to the crate, can you park the truck in the garage when it's not in use? Or you could use a crate cover on the miserably cold days and at home just rig a tarp over the crate. This is beginning to sound like a lot of work, eh?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Backing up a little bit here --- I can't see that the crate is also fastened to the right side of the bed. I'd do that if it isn't and I'd run one across the top of the crate, too. Now long ago I lived in Bozeman for a couple of years. 20 to 40 below - I would not have the dog in the crate in the bed of the truck at that temp. It could also be windy as all get out - not Wyoming windy but still.

If you're concerned about UV damage to the crate, can you park the truck in the garage when it's not in use? Or you could use a crate cover on the miserably cold days and at home just rig a tarp over the crate. This is beginning to sound like a lot of work, eh?
It is fastened on both sides, you just can't see the right side but it's strapped to the tie down there. There is one strap across the top in the back (through the eye bolts), then another across the top in the front (behind the plastic nubs).

The truck doesn't fit in the garage, unfortunately.

Yeah I'll probably just tarp it. And I'm planning on eventually getting a cover for it (either the Ruff Land brand or a Mud River cover), for cold weather. If it was really really cold I'll probably put her inside, or leave her at home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts