German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know black spots on tongues can be normal for shepherds, but Leica seems to have gotten one in the last few days, and I can't figure out what that means. At first I thought it was just a piece of dirt, but then I realized it is some sort of pigment spot. I am thinking of making an appt with the vet, but wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts as I am concerned.

Since moving to Va, she has had troubles with her ears, and I also found one tick on her two days ago, and that area where it was is swollen right now
Another concern of mine.

I am ready to leave the east coast with all the bugs and humidity behind and move back west where she had no health issues.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Originally Posted By: Simona I am ready to leave the east coast with all the bugs and humidity behind.
Take me with you. I feel the same way. I am originally from Sacramento, CA and am stuck in middle GA.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'><span style="color: #663366">We'd be glad to have you back on the west coast, Simona!!

I am betting that the spot on her tongue is a freckle/birthmark some dogs have them as pups and some dogs get them as they age...

The tick bite, it is normal for there to be swelling at the site where you removed the tick. I had one on myself(YUCK) on Easter Sunday and it was a good 2 weeks before the swelling went down...

Her ears, I am not suprised with all that humidity.

I think you must come back west for Leica's sake, you could always ship her to me!!!</span></span>

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally Posted By: DHau
Originally Posted By: Simona I am ready to leave the east coast with all the bugs and humidity behind.
Take me with you. I feel the same way. I am originally from Sacramento, CA and am stuck in middle GA.
Haha, I'll let let you know when I leave

My Golden Retriever also has developed issues here. She keeps licking her paws
Image uploading. Refresh page to view
The dogs def seemed happier out west. When we are outside and the nats come out, Leica keeps shaking her head and ears, and looks at me for help. Poor pup

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally Posted By: Annikas Mom<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'><span style="color: #663366">We'd be glad to have you back on the west coast, Simona!!

I am betting that the spot on her tongue is a freckle/birthmark some dogs have them as pups and some dogs get them as they age...

The tick bite, it is normal for there to be swelling at the site where you removed the tick. I had one on myself(YUCK) on Easter Sunday and it was a good 2 weeks before the swelling went down...

Her ears, I am not suprised with all that humidity.

I think you must come back west for Leica's sake, you could always ship her to me!!!</span></span>

awww okay, but I am coming with the dogs lol

So do you think the mark on her tongue could show up so suddenly?

and now I am worried about Lyme disease as well...

·
Super Moderator
7,897 Posts
Originally Posted By: Simona
and now I am worried about Lyme disease as well...
was it a deer tick that you removed?

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Hi DHau, from your old home city!!!

Simona, I have a bottle of doxycyline for fish (or is it for birds?), and when I find an attached tick, I don't hesitate to treat prophylacticly (sp?) for a quick 10-14 days immediately, instead of waiting to see what happens. I know that tick diseases are often very hard to diagnose, and treatment can be quite lengthy once the disease takes hold. (Unfortunately, there is more than lyme to be concerned about.)

Watch for symptoms, and have your her tested in 2-3 months if you see anything "off".

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Does anyone remember the GSD from this board who grew hair on his tongue? Or her tongue? It looked like a black spot...but was a patch o' fur.

Is the black spot flat? This article is about the tongue: http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/tongue.html

So good for you for noticing (don't know that I would) and for thinking about it because while it is likely nothing, it may be something to run past someone in the know.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Originally Posted By: LisaTHi DHau, from your old home city!!!
Hey! One day I'm moving back. Unfortunately, I have to wait for my hubby to retire - maybe in 10 years. lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts