German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brenna has always been fearful of people, when I first got her it was not uncommon for her to quietly growl or sometimes bark at people just passing by on our walks though she has never indicated aggression though. I'm happy to report that she is doing much better. While she is still nervous she will usually pass or be passed by people with no growling or barking.

She has always done great with dogs, she goes with me to work (grooming + doggie daycare) where she interacts with no problems on a daily basis with dogs. However, on leash, she has started to bark and pull towards dogs when out on walks. I never allow her to get close, so I don't know if it would be considered leash aggression or not, but it's really concerning me.

Do you have any advice? I will usually pull her to the side of the trail/sidewalk and try to face her so her side faces the dog, so she isn't in a challenging position with them.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I am currently dealing with this problem. Mine is defiantly leash aggressive and does the bark lunge, hey look at me.

I tried the pulling off to the side, it made it worse, he would just focus more intently on the other dog. I tried re-directing with food and almost lost a finger...

The thing that seems to work is a properly fitted prong and a good pop and "leave it", as soon as I saw that he was getting ready to bark and lunge.

I keep his leash loose and my body calm. And after the correction and "leave it" I keep walking like nothing is happening. I have had to correct more than once. I talk to him to keep his focus on me and praise A LOT when we successfully pass another dog.

Try re-directing first, (this did work with one of my other dogs) keep some really good treats and get her to focus on you and not the other dog. Keep a calm happy voice and a loose leash.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Great article for onleash aggression is Click Here

And are you currently going to a good set of dog classes? One of the many things that was always addressed in classes I attended. Amazing how different all the dogs behaved from week one to the end.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Like MRL said dog classes would be great. It is an awesome way for the dog to learn that being on a leash and around many dogs with a lot going on is ok and working through those destractions for their focus.
Allie did a kind a whirling type niose thing when she saw other dogs when on a leash (seemed fear based) when we went to class it took all of 5 minutes with some "leave it" reinforcing for her to relax. Then we had 6 weeks to solidify the leave it at class! we still work on it on every walk
But she is so so much better now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts