German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 month old has started barking at some strangers when we are out walking. Or like the other day she barked at my mom when we got out of the car to walk into their house. It is several bark... bark... barkbarkbark type barks. With hackles up. Weird part is that the other night at halloween we went to a very crowded area, tons of people, tons of dogs, costumes etc and she didn't bark at a single person. No hackles. Just happy go lucky demeanor. So I am confused. Why sometimes and not others? How should I address it? I have used treats to divert her attention but I also don't want it to seem like I am giving her a treat for barking at the person. I just want to make sure I deal with it appropriately.
:help:

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Could be fear. This is a good time to introduce "enough" or some other 'hush' word. When we were out walking after dark at my mother in law's, Grim alerted on some noisy teens walking down the road. (He's always more on alert at night) I just told him "enough" and kept walking with him. He's not done that before, but we usually don't encounter people at night. We were also in a strange town, strange everything. BUT, he's getting older. I didn't see any hackles, but I want him to stop when I tell him to stop. He's never barked at friends or family members (even though he'd just met my MIL, he was great at her house and with her!) so I don't know what to tell you about that one.

This was during the day, though?? If so, maybe more socialization...

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah during the day. We take her a lot of places on weekends but ill try and up it during the week.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
One thing I did with Hades is give the people treats. He learned when he was nice they gave him a treat and would pet him. I also introduced "enough".

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I've started with hush and then reward for quiet. Once I thought about it more I realized I should give a command incompatible with the barking down/hush etc and then reward for following that. Duh. Sometimes I over think things. That and once her foot is better I want to bring a tug with me and just play sessions of tug so she learns to ignore barking dogs also.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

1 - 5 of 5 Posts