German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any info on this new rescue? I got a phone call today from a friend and she told me that this rescue was needing help pulling a GSD that is in a shelter about an hour from me.

I am happy to help, but I just wanted to make sure this is a reputable rescue.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I haven't worked with New Beginnings so I don't have much to offer specificially, but I do rescue coordination with several shelters so I screen a lot of rescues. One of the things we always ask for is veterinary reference information and the other is to find out whether anyone has visited their facility and done an on site inspection.

We didn't used to be as hard core about the latter, relying more on the reference info and general reputation but after some of the recent things here in KY with "rescues" that weren't, we've come to the conclusion that there's just no substitute for a home visit!

Does anyone know if that has been done for this group or, if not, is there another group in the area who might be willing to do it?

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I know that Julie from New Beginnings is active on the Last Hope Safe Haven forum and has pulled and/or fostered some of the dogs that Last Hope has saved - but I don't have any first-hand knowledge of them.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
If you can rescue a dog give them a chance. My hunch is once you meet the people involved, you will have a pretty good idea of whether you wish to work with them.

As an aside, if the dog is adopted, make sure yu are involved with the home inspection.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
The problem unfortunately is that you can't always get a good sense of groups just by gut instinct or even reputation any more than you should adopt out a dog to someone you just met just because they seem okay. I think we need to be at least as careful with the groups we send to as with the adopters we approve, if not more so because the stakes are so much higher.

I'm all for more people being involved in rescue and if there's a new group who wants to save GSDs that's awesome! We have just learned the hard way that you need to check check check before sending out a dog to a rescue you don't know and part of that checking really needs to be a home visit. We can't always do one ourselves becaues of distance but just like with long distance adoptions, we can usually find someone appropriate to help us out, so the need of proper checking shouldn't hold up the rescue of the dog too much.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am located in Knoxville, TN and this rescue group is located in SC which is about a 4 hour drive southeast from me. The shelter they are trying to pull from me is an hour south west from me. I am happy to help with pull and transport, but I can not drive all the way to SC to check out the rescue or do a home visit.

From some of the information I have received, others have also expressed their concern about this rescue.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Perhaps you can find a local shelter who has worked with them? Or an all breed rescue in the area who would be willing to do a home check for you?

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
I believe they've saved dogs for me before but I just can't put my finger on them at this moment. I'm sorry. I'm in CA so any interactions would have been via email or phone so I'm thinking thats not the feedback you were hoping for. But for some reason this name is standing out for me. I know I don't have any dogs I'm following up on there. Ok, sorry for being not help at all...I tried.
Just having another senior moment,

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, it is not empty but it is less full. LOL

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have never been able to get references on this group. Nor has 2 other groups I work with.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
This info is not for this particular rescue but for all rescues in general:

The easiest way to begin verifying a rescue is by going through their state and make sure they are registered and active as a non-profit) and also, if they take in donations by law they must follow their state solicitation law.

Does their state/county require a license for rescue?
Do they have a county limit on number of animals?

501(c)(3) is optional to your own standards. If you only want to work with a 501(c)(3) this can now be verified through the IRS website.

These are some of the basics that should be done for any rescue that you want to work with and are easily enough found via the Internet.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<span style='font-size: 11pt'> <span style='font-family: Arial Black'> CORRECTION-see further-the rescue is registered as a not for profit (and link to how this is done in South Carolina included) and the person who runs this rescue also informs that information has been sent to the IRS at some time and is awaiting approval. </span> </span>

Thank you TJ. Someone else has already confirmed that this rescue in question is not registered as a non for profit in SC and they do not have a 501(c)(3).

The problem I am having is finding anyone that has been to their location. I have heard that they denied anthor rescue from doing a home visit, but that the local AC has been to their location and did not find any problems. My next step is to try and contact that AC to see if I can get some info straight from the source. If there is anyone else that would like to call that would be great, because I can not call from work during the week and will have to wait until Saturday.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Originally Posted By: ILGHAUSThis info is not for this particular rescue but for all rescues in general:

The easiest way to begin verifying a rescue is by going through their state and make sure they are registered and active as a non-profit) and also, if they take in donations by law they must follow their state solicitation law.

Does their state/county require a license for rescue?
Do they have a county limit on number of animals?

501(c)(3) is optional to your own standards. If you only want to work with a 501(c)(3) this can now be verified through the IRS website.

These are some of the basics that should be done for any rescue that you want to work with and are easily enough found via the Internet.
This is a good start for investigation. A home visit and references are imperative. Just look at Ruth Urban from Brightstar. Their paperwork ducks were all in a row but there was something else going on behind the scenes that never would have been known without the home visit.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Julie was interested in one of our dogs in Harlan and given this thread I went ahead and talked to her local ACO office just now. The officers have not been to her place but one of their staff has (both sending dogs to her and adopting one). She was very positive about Julie and her set up. She said that the dogs were in good condition and the ones kept outside had adequate shelter and facilities.

I don't know that NB is still interested in our dog or not and obviously before sending, we'd still need to do the rest of our reference checks (vet info etc.) because facilities are just one piece of the puzzle, but I wanted to let folks know.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Just wanted to clarify - I am not endorsing this rescue. I don't know very much about this rescue. But I did make the call and received a favorable report on the conditions of the animals from the AC office from the woman who had visited and sent dogs there.

Obviously an AC check is only as good as the standards of that county and isn't going to reveal things about vet care, adoption criteria or other policies, and these are all things a sending shelter, transporter, or other group would definitely want to check into before sending a dog, but it's still information and the lady seemed to like Julie and was satisfied with her set up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have done two transports for New Beginnings. For the last one, I took the dog directly to Julie's home. I have seen her facility. The dogs seem happy and well cared for. Julie knows each of them well and manages them well as to avoid "personality conflicts." Her house dogs were unformly well behaved (much better than the pack of yahoos I have running around my house) and Julie is very firm but fair in her expectations of the dogs.

The outside kennels seemed well managed as well -- there was no "doggy kennel smell" and the yard looked clean. The dogs outside in the yard were playing happily with each other -- there wasn't even the amount of barking you might expect with a number of dogs present.

I am not part of any one rescue group, nor do I support any one specific breed. I have rescued and rehomed several pups that I have found in my travels (just try living in SC without picking up some poor animal on the side of the road). I have conducted home visits for all of the adoptions I have done myself and have turned down potential homes for things I felt would have a negative impact on the dog I am trying to place. I try to help rescues where I can with fosters, transports (I usually try to post my various road trips in case I can get some pups on the road to safety), and home visits. I have seen enough in dog/horse rescue to know that there are often fates far worse than euthanasia. I am careful about the rescues I work with and would never leave a dog in a place I felt would provide inadequate care.

My visit was at the end of April when I transported a sweet GSD from Kentucky to SC (I was on the road for a horse show) for Julie. Julie worked hard to make sure all was a go for pick up. She checked in along the way to make sure that all was well (it was). The dog came to my house for an overnight since we got home late and I didn't want to try to find a new location in the dark. I dropped him off at Julie's the next day. Again, I did not see anything related to the condition of dogs or property that would make me not want to leave this boy with Julie.

I cannot speak to vet references or non-profit status (or other questions mentioned above), but I *have* been to her rescue, believe she has the dogs' best interest at heart, has a facility that provides good care for animals, and would happily transport dogs to her again.

I am happy to answer any questions you may have, however, I am not a "regular" on this board. I will try to check back to answer specific questions or private messages. If I can be of assistance in any way, let me know.

1 - 20 of 226 Posts