German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I've wanted a GSD for some time and am currently looking but I need help. I've done reasearch to watch for hip displayshia and DM.

I'm looking for a family dog/companion. Not looking for sport or show. I just want a good smart dog that I can train and have as a companion. The problem I have is price. I don't want to "overpay" for a dog. So I'm trying to find how much a good dog for my needs are.

Can I ask you all for your help please. What do you think of these breeders I found near by. Good or bad? Why? Some are as low as $600, is that reasonable for the dog or overpriced on a bad dog?

Idealy I would love to stay in the $600 range.
W Litter - Schne Stadt German Shepherds

Rheinhardt Kennels
Schmidmuhlen German Shepherds

Drachefeld :: Puppies

I'm in lexington ky and would be willing to drive to get right dog. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
$600 is really low for a well-bred, healthy GSD from a good breeder unless you know a breeder personally or are getting a "deal" based on some cosmetic fault that would not affect the health or soundness of the dog (long coat for example).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Man, 600 bucks. I must have gotten a great deal. Sasha was only 350 and she is a dream. Perfect for me since I just got out of the army and moved to an area where I didn't know many people. The bond is irreplaceable, even at 13 weeks.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I am not familiar with these breeders. Where I live, breeders charge between $1200-$2000 for GSD's.

If this is too much, there might be GSD rescues in your area or the animal shelters.

·
Registered
32,356 Posts
Workingline pups, as are at least two of the breeders you listed, should run about $1500. Show lines run about $3000.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I think you'll do better choosing the temperament, etc., of the dog you want, price those dogs, and then adjust your budget accordingly, even if that means you have to save up for a while longer before you make the investment.

I'm a rescuer, and I promise you it can cost a whole lot more in the long run if you purchase a dog that has behavioral/health issues related to genetics.

$600 isn't much toward a very well bred dog, and no matter whether you want a pet or a dog you can compete with, you'll still want the best breeding you can afford. Solid nerves, for example, are super important, even for pet dogs. I think it can take a little sting out of the sticker shock if you remember that you are making an investment that will hopefully bring you 14-17 years worth of companionship :)

Sorry have no input on the breeders you mention...just my "in general" two cents...

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Can you describe specifically what you're looking for? Describe your life style and activity level. I would also recommend looking into the different lines a bit and see what you like and what fits the best. The breeders you listed are not the same lines. Also $600 is very low. I would plan on at least $1100. Would you be willing to have a puppy shipped? There are some fantastic breeders of all lines on this forum. Once we can figure out a little bit more of what you're looking for we might be able to point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
600 $ is very low for a well bred dog.

The breeders you listed the top one seems like the best. However not a lot of titles are on the dogs. Not necessarily a negative, however big black sable dddr dogs are the "in" thing right now, so I would want to avoid a breeder just throwing two ddr dogs together to get giant dark pups.

The next one claims European lineage on their dogs. Never buy from a breeding just because of what lines it comes from, unless the breeder knows what theyre doing and expecting a certain outcome from the pairing. Just looking at those dogs they dont look like working lines or german show lines. They look like a lot of american show line.

The last breeder is german show lines. So once again a very different type. And again breeding dogs just because mom and dad may of had tites.

Top breeder is the only one I would consider. And unless you know someone or get a deal, I would be cautious of a 600 $ price tag

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
good litter , good socialization Idealy I would love to stay in the $600 range.

have many of those lines myself -- health tests done.

I like the sire , I like his mothers (Wendy) other progeny --- great herding dog V, ED - NORMAL Hetty von den Schwedenschanzen

the pups are shown with an enriched environment, they are fed well, raw goats milk, the dogs have x rays and DM .

did not even look at the others

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
good litter , good socialization Idealy I would love to stay in the $600 range.

have many of those lines myself -- health tests done.

I like the sire , I like his mothers (Wendy) other progeny --- great herding dog V, ED - NORMAL Hetty von den Schwedenschanzen

the pups are shown with an enriched environment, they are fed well, raw goats milk, the dogs have x rays and DM .

did not even look at the others
These are $1100 dogs: Planned Litters - Schne Stadt German Shepherds. Was the OP aware, and maybe willing, but would prefer not to pay as much, I wonder?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Don't forget about adoption! It's a relatively inexpensive way to get a great dog and there are dogs of all ages needing homes.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Drache Feld is a top show kennel and very well known. Lots of his pups are placed in pet homes and you have the benefit of being very close to him. I know quite a few dogs from this kennel and you should be fine with one of his pups.

Lee

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These are $1100 dogs: Planned Litters - Schne Stadt German Shepherds. Was the OP aware, and maybe willing, but would prefer not to pay as much, I wonder?
I was aware that it currently out of my price range, I was trying to get an idea of what is a good breeder. I was looking for an intelligent companion. I kind of dont want to worry about getting a dog with anxiety, fear and what not.

I'm fairly active, I don't live in a big place but right next door to a big park. I do cardio 5x a week in the form of interval sprints at th park. I go camping when I have the time, occasionally hear the coyotes around the camp would be nice to have a "look out"

I work 20-30 hours a week so I have the free time to be with the pup.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
call Drache Feld, go visit, talk money AFTER you get there....his pet prices vary depending on the puppy

He is a "good" breeder and you never know....

Lee

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
You sound like an excellent owner -- find yourself a good breeder . If Wolfstraum likes Drache Feld I would trust her judgement. The other kennel Schone Stadt , I know the genetics well and would have a look at them as well.

·
Registered
27,273 Posts
IF you can't afford more than $600 now, wait a bit and save up as much as you can.
Especially if the litter is in the planning or baking stage, save while the litter is in the oven, save while the litter is growing up and weaning...before you know it~you have the $ that the breeder is charging. And remember the cost of the pup is the minimal cost compared to vetting, training and gear you'll need.
Carmen is another breeder to investigate! I'd probably begin with her. Lee as well, but I don't think Lee has any litters planned soon?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I was aware that it currently out of my price range, I was trying to get an idea of what is a good breeder. I was looking for an intelligent companion. I kind of dont want to worry about getting a dog with anxiety, fear and what not.

I'm fairly active, I don't live in a big place but right next door to a big park. I do cardio 5x a week in the form of interval sprints at th park. I go camping when I have the time, occasionally hear the coyotes around the camp would be nice to have a "look out"

I work 20-30 hours a week so I have the free time to be with the pup.
Awesome!! You don't need a big place. Dogs don't exercise themselves, lol. I mean mine have never said l'm gonna go run laps ;) you gotta direct it.

You just need to spend time out and about and *together* with your GSD. Sounds like you have the time and energy for that ???

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
call Drache Feld, go visit, talk money AFTER you get there....his pet prices vary depending on the puppy

He is a "good" breeder and you never know....

Lee
good thinking and thanks for the recommendation. In the next few months is when ill start making moves to visit a few places. Im the type of guy who tried to do as much research as i can before investing in anything.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts