German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! I am crying as I write this.:cry: I can't sleep. My child and I even feel guilty EATING! A neighbor of a relative has a beautiful German Shepard 3 year old littl girl! My kid and I have been monitoring her. These people leave her tied up in the backyard.....- without any contact.:cry::mad:

we went by early this week. And now her BONES ARE BEGINING TO SHOW!!! the food bowel was empty. no water.

we went home and made rice a healthy veggie rice dish for her. she ate so fast as if she had not eaten in days (perhaps not)

it snowed yesterday. my daughter and i cried as we wondered if she was cold (of COURSE SHE IS!!!!) they keep her outside 24-7 year round tied with a choke chain!!!!

it is 4:25 in the am. many nights since we have seen her current weight loss, I have thought of rescuing her. i CAN do it. but i hesitate. just a moment. wondering morally if i am wrong. then i think of her poor face PLEADING for us to get her out of that place! they don't even know we feed her!!! i feel they have no rights! she is not loved. no attention. and barely fed!

your thoughts?
PS someone told me GS can withstand cold. my theory is WHY!!?? WHY!!?? wouldn't you treat any animal the way you would treat yourself? POOR little thing..
thanks in advance!!!:)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Not sure what other, more experienced forum members would say but try contacting a no-kill rescue unit, get them to come in, pick up the dog and assess the dog before you adopt it....but that's just how i'd do it...wait for more experience members

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Turn in these people now!!!!!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Where do you live? If there's no food, no water, no shelter... that's breaking ALL the Animal Laws...

And if nothing else you can fill the food bowl/water until they arrive.

TAKE PICTURES AND VIDEO of the dog/conditions/house/yard.... There are so many forclosures MANY people are abandoning their pets in the house/yard and just figuring someone else will take responsibility.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I would call your local animal control or local rescue group TODAY. As stated above these people are breaking all of the animal cruelty laws with the way they are treating this dog-- whatever their circumstances. And of course she may have been abandoned.

Depending on where you live 911 is an option. I know in my county AC is dispatched through the 911 system. They can come out and at least get the dog out of the elements and fed. Years ago my brother and SIL turned their next door neighbor in who left a dog tied up outside 24/7 with no shelter. When AC came and got the dog, my brother called to find out what they had to do to adopt the dog. They later ended up with the dog. The neighbors never even cared when AC showed up to take the dog.

You are wonderful to want to help the dog, most people just look the other way. But please call today.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
You could offer to take her? Or buy her if they won't give her away. The winter will cause them to burn more calories. Without a good layer of fat on her, she will get very cold, very quickly.

Take pictures, a video, call the HO, call the news if none of that works. You could contact Dogs Deserve Better also.

·
Registered
16,070 Posts
Whether or not you are morally wrong depends more on how you want to go about this. If you are certain there is no unpreventable reason the dog is loosing weight, and that the conditions are what you say they are, then I think you are in fine moral status.
Legally, it may be another matter. Would these people care if you took the dog? Can your relative say "so and so really loves your dog and would love to take her"? Do you know the people well enough that you could ask directly? IF they object you may have to go the a/c route to get the dog released. And then, if you are interested in the dog, you will need to keep tabs on the case, let them know you want the dog etc.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I worked at a Humane Society where the owner would literally steal dogs she felt were not cared for, it always lead to legal trouble.
It is illegal in many cities to chain your dog (it is here) and no water and food available is major violations as well.
Better to call and have her evaluated by your city or local shelter. Then make sure you qualify as an adoptable home.
In the mean time try giving the dog low sodium or natural chicken broth with some canned/dry dog food. The broth will help with dehydration. If you say something to the owners, they may be forewarned and make the dog appear cared for ,so I wouldn't if your main goal is to get the dog out of there.
But please do not wait another day! let us know what happens.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It is morally wrong not to help this poor aniimal. I fed my neighbors dog for months. I just didnt want to start bad relations with them as i was the only one who could actually see the dog and how skinny he was and how hungry he was. When winter came i called animal control. I dont regret it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Don't you watch animal cops? LOL You can call and they'll come out and check out the doggie.

I really hope you call. You can do it anonymously if you want. Or call and let them know you'd gladly take him in.

Please, please call SOMEONE and get the doggie help.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Doglove - can you give us an update on this?

·
Registered
35 Posts
That was what mine looked like when I got her, sin and bones, head and tail down, wouldn't look at you. It was pitiful, bnut as you can see she looks much different now. The thing is though, unless she had been rescued from the people that treated her like the ones you're describing, she would not be with me now. So, do what you have to, but get her to safety and a better place.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts