German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am trying out a sweet big boy of 8 years old. The owners have moved in the last 24 hours. The dog did well overnight and seems sad. He slept on the floor next to his food Barrell the owners brought with him. Seems sad. This afternoon when I went home on my lunch I took him out again on a leash, which he walks well on to potty. No problems.
When I let him back in the house, he started to eat the cat food, and when I told him no, he clearly didn't listen. So I softly took him by his collar and removed him from the bowl, he snipped at me and again grabbed at my wrist with his teeth. I told him no! and took him to lay down. Call the owners right away and they stated he has never done that before. Do you think this is just part of transitioning and being upset about moving? It's somewhat scared me, I cannot keep a dog that is food aggressive. Now I'm starting to wonder if he really is just bothered by being new and need some time to settle in or if this is something he's going to do again. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
You need to give him more time. How would you feel if you were out grocery shopping, you picked up a tomato, and a complete stranger came and yelled at you, grabbed you by the arm, and led you away? You are a stranger to this dog. As far as he was concerned, why can’t he eat the food just sitting on the ground for him? A lot of dogs are sensitive to collar grabbing in general, so to have a stranger do it is way too much. He was simply telling you that. Attach a leash to him and let him drag it around. If you need to stop him from doing something, grab the leash instead.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
My dog loves cat food (and cat poop, unfortunately!).
Rather than battle over this, I agree with BlyeNyx, I'd just keep the catfood high up (cats are such good climbers/jumpers), behind a gate, or just put it away after the cat eats?
(My cat used to Meow loudly at me and then vacuum up his meal...there was never any spare catfood lying around in our apartment!)

On the growling...we also adopted an older dog and he was very growly/tense for the first few weeks.
He was very sad for the first few days and laid away from us in the hallway by the front door (waiting for his foster mom to come back, probably).
That first night, I tried to pull him into his crate by the collar and got growled/snapped at.
What I did was just clip a leash on him and let him trail it around (so I didn't have to grab the collar anymore) and I trained him to go in the crate voluntarily on command (with treats).

Until your dog is trained in a strong "leave it!" he maybe doesn't understand that the catfood is NOT for him to eat...(and even then, I personally wouldn't tempt my dog by leaving it lying within reach all the time.) In his mindset, he's eating and you are physically hauling him away from it...he dislikes that, and he warned you.

·
Registered
844 Posts
The cat and the dog don't know who's food is whose. If there is food on the ground, they're going to eat the one that smells better. Usually that's cat food. Just like everyone else said so far, don't leave food where the dog can get access to it. Also, a stranger (you) is taking food away from the dog, how else is it going to react?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts