German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all, and thanks for the warm welcome that I have received from (most) those I have met.
My name is Mike, I live approx 1/2 hour east of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I own a boarding, grooming and training business by the name of Country Lane Pet Resort where we provide the above mentioned services as well as retail sales. I personally raise German Shepherd Dogs (bred by Carmspack German Shepherds) for police service work, which you can see here:

https://sites.google.com/site/countrylanepsd/

I do this on a small scale, never more than 6 at a time. I do not breed German Shepherds at this time.
I have been providing dog training instruction professionally for approximately 14 years, prior to that I had prepared my own dogs for competition and competed as well, but have worked with the dogs I have owned since the age of 6.

I hope that this forum can provide a venue whereby I can make contacts, learn from others and build on what I know. I am more than willing to contribute as well so feel free to ask any questions.

Cheers!

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
Welcome, Mike! I look forward to your participation on the board.
I agree with gsdraven, handsome pup!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pup in the pic is Carmspack Stark.... now known as PSD Stark, dual purpose patrol and detection dog in New York. He is actually in my successes/references section of my website. A wonderful dog, excellent temperament, very vigorous. Although our personalities were not a match, LOL, he made an excellent service dog and is missed by my family. Will post more pics as time goes on...

Again, thanks for the warm invite.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Hello Mike, like others have said, that is one handsome dog there. It could be Raina's brother!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stark was a wonderful dog to raise, he was a machine for open search tasks, brilliant tracker, very sound from a social standpoint. No issues with surfaces, heights, sound. His aggression work took a skilled decoy to bring out as he was not a sharp dog, had high thresholds (I was recently schooled on the word "sharp" in another post, guess it didn't take very well:). Bites were hard, calm and intense. Had an amazing on and off switch. I witnessed a good chunk of his psd training after being invited to attend the 16 week program. He has had multiple narc finds while on duty in NY. I had his brother from the next litter as well (see Griffin in my photo album).

By the way, forgot to mention, I am also a graphic artist with 15 years in that industry as well. I do pet portraits in pencil currently, but will be breaking out my airbrush after a 15 year break (commercial art soured fine art for me). Will put samples up soon!

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Welcome!! And I agree. He is gorgeous!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Iv been looking to train Koda in somthing, but im not sure what she would excell at, I wish I lived in Pickering with my parents, you would be right next door!
I may be staying in Toronto over the summer, and we could work somthing out.Lovely dog by the way.
Theres no training centers near me at all!

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Looking forward to seeing some of your art work!

And I don't think that anyone who raises dogs for police work needs schooling about such terms as "sharp" ;)

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Welcome Mike! I am also looking forward to seeing your art work. Those of us who lack artistic ability appreciate the talent in others.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looking forward to seeing some of your art work!

And I don't think that anyone who raises dogs for police work needs schooling about such terms as "sharp" ;)
I appreciate the support, but I also understand that everyone has something new that they could potentially teach me, so I never become too comfortable in what I think I know. There is a great deal I do not know.... I think, LOL. There are often times I find people arguing over terminology even though they may be trying to say the same things. However, if someone wishes to be confrontational I won't engage in those games... not worth acknowledging or attempting to work with people of that mindset. They know what they want to know.

Just to clarify, I prepare puppies for service training, I actually leave the final training up to each individual agency as their techniques and even their goals and standards vary (even within states or provinces) so I have to try to be careful to leave them "open" to training and not pattern anything that may not be acceptable later on (eg. some agencies prefer find and bite as opposed to find and bark). I do a little bit of bark and hold early on just to build the behavior but I limit my market when I teach one or the other.

Take a look in my photo album for a sample of my work, there should be a Shepherd pic in there (I did not think the dobe pic would be appropriate :)

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I saw your Shepherd portrait. It is awesome. Have to say it is a breath of fresh air to hear that you don't know everything and want to learn. We all have something to learn, but some people aren't going to admit it. LOL!

Jan

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Welcome...gorgeous gorgeous dog!! I suggest you open a winter headquarters and send lots of dogs like that to my house!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Welcome aboard! :welcome:

I must say that I've enjoyed your posts so far. Look forward to reading more from you!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Welcome to the board once again Mike. :)

Stark is a handsome dog - not that I am biased or anything. ;)

I am excited to welcome a new experienced handler/owner to the board. Looking forward to your posts.

·
Registered
301 Posts
stark was a wonderful dog to raise, he was a machine for open search tasks, brilliant tracker, very sound from a social standpoint. No issues with surfaces, heights, sound. His aggression work took a skilled decoy to bring out as he was not a sharp dog, had high thresholds (i was recently schooled on the word "sharp" in another post, guess it didn't take very well:). Bites were hard, calm and intense. Had an amazing on and off switch. I witnessed a good chunk of his psd training after being invited to attend the 16 week program. He has had multiple narc finds while on duty in ny. I had his brother from the next litter as well (see griffin in my photo album).

By the way, forgot to mention, i am also a graphic artist with 15 years in that industry as well. I do pet portraits in pencil currently, but will be breaking out my airbrush after a 15 year break (commercial art soured fine art for me). Will put samples up soon!
yay!a fellow artist.would love to see your work.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
welcome mike!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts