German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi! I just acquired a 6 week old puppy this weekend. I took him to the vet Monday and asked around some dog trainers and found out that I wasn't supposed to take him home until 8 weeks :( I was pretty gutted because I HATE the idea of separating a puppy too young from his mother, but I didn't know anything about dogs and I trusted the guy that gave him to me.

Anyway since this weekend I have been reading information on this forum, which has been really really helpful!

I found the dog star daily website as well from one of the members here, and I have been trying to follow the house training guidelines very strictly.

But, as far as his bathroom habits I'm having a hard time getting him to have no accidents. I take him outside every 45 minutes to an hour, and immediately after I get him back inside he pees again. Is that just because he is so little?

Also, as far as confining him for long periods of time- I currently work during the day, so he is confined to the bathroom with toys, bed, puppy pad, and water. I come home at lunch to feed him, take him outside and play with him for a bit. Is it okay to leave him alone confined at this age? I mean, I guess I don't have a choice, but my heart breaks knowing he has been taken away from his mom so soon and I am leaving him alone :(

And another concern- feeding him. The vet said to feed him 1/3 of a cup 3 times a day. I feel like that's not enough. After his second meal today he didn't poop, and then after his third meal he pooped a tiny amount compared to other poops he's had. I fed him an additional 1/3 of a cup and he gobbled it right up at dinner. I want to follow the vet's instructions but I also don't want him to starve either. He is 14 pounds right now.

Any suggestions and help would be really appreciated, as I'm sure you can tell I'm a very anxious first parent. I will post a picture of Bernie as well.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
He's young, but it is not impossible. You might run into some small issues.

Potty training, yes, he may not be able to manage 4 hours at this point without pottying, and potty pads might be ingested. I would use newspapers or even wood hips. Instead of blocking the pup in a bathroom, can you put up a kennel for the pup in a garage or basement?

Yes, the puppy won't like being all alone at all. He is used to being with his mother and littermates 24/7. But he will be ok. Might be nice to leave a radio on in the area where he can't get to it.

As for feeding, does the vet know what you are feeding? All foods have different calories, and 1 cup of food/day for growth might not be enough. I would feed a 6 week old pup that is not in with its dam 4 times a day. And, if it is licking the dish and looking for more, beyond 1/4-1/3 cup per feeding, I would give more. Check the back of the dog food bag. Usually, they are a little more generous than necessary.

If the pup's stool goes from solid lumps to solid mush, then you are probably giving a little too much, scale back.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
I took my new puppy out 3-4 times a hour after he ate, and then twice an hour in between. He still had accidents. During the night, I took him out about 3 times during the night, at bed time, around 1-2, then again around 5 am.

Selzer, I didn't know that too much food can cause mushy poo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got him a large kennel but...he cries like crazy in there. He is a lot more quiet in the bathroom ... I figured I would ease him gently into using the kennel by feeding him in there and putting him in there for very short amounts of time ..the night before he was in the kennel and he barked from 10 pm till 2 am straight and my husband couldn't take it and let him out...so I slept with him, but I told hubby it won't happen again because I'd rather hear him bark and eventually settle down than wonder if he's losing his voice all day while I'm gone.. And I'm glad I was on the right track by feeding him after seeing he was still hungry!! Yay

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I am not talking about a crate. I am talking about a kennel. 10'x 5' the dog can have water in there, and food, and toys, and you can use wood chips in there for now. After a week or so, you can put a small kid's swimming pool in there and put the wood chips only in there.

The pup should be more comfortable in a larger area. A kennel can be made totally safe for the puppy. A bathroom, well a bored lonely pup will chew woodwork, linoleum, anything he can reach, anything not strong ceramic or metal.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
A crate in the bedroom at night will keep him safer. If he is right next to you he should be ok.

Of course he is going to cry, he is lonely without his litter and his mom. He'll get it. He wants to be by you, because it is in his nature to pack up with someone, something.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
My puppy ate and swallowed wood chips if I let him.

I currently have a litter of 5 week old pups on cedar chips, and they have been on them since 2 weeks. I also have 3 14 week old puppies on cedar chips and they have been on them since about 3 weeks old. Sometimes they are in there food and water dishes. They do not hurt them. I have not seen them eating them. But, they may have. I am not staring at them 24/7. I work full-time, so they are alone with their dam for about 10 hours a day. With the wood chips.

I am not the only person who uses wood chips. They are awesome. The pup smells good, they keep the puppies from getting full of poop -- amazing how fast that happens with papers. 10 hours -- ugh! Wood chips are a God-send!

If the pee-pads have plastic on one side, kind of like a diaper, eating them would be far worse than wood chips or newspaper.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Oh, I thought you meant gardening wood mulch chips. I didn't think about hamster shavings. Those should be Ok if they are used to them.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Oh, I thought you meant gardening wood mulch chips. I didn't think about hamster shavings. Those should be Ok if they are used to them.

Ya got to be careful with mulch. Some have pesticides in them, or cocoa beans. I use cedar chips. They are also effective at naturally deterring bugs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ahhh that is an awesome idea to use wood shavings!! I will pick some up at the pet store..I think he would want to use them more anyway he isn't using the pee pads and is just going on the tile ...I didn't think about him chewing the stuff in the bathroom ...I guess he's not big enough for me to have thought of that ? I actually bought a turf mat because I read somewhere that it would encourage him to use it as a toilet while I'm gone, but ..now that you mentioned the swallowing hazard I may just use it as an actual door mat ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I bought a puppy pen today. It is a investment but worth it... he stays in there now if I'm busy and can't watch him closely, he is loose otherwise .I don't work anymore so I'm stay home mom ..

My puppy slept in crate next to me... I slept on couch would touch crate, more like slept between cries with my arm on crate. Now he sleeps in crate in my living room next too my other 2 dogs that are older and sleep on thier beds ( giant throw Pillows)

I blocked off crate to give him just enough room to laydown down or he would have accident in crate. Same happened to me I was told one age and he was really was 4 to 6 weeks. I did not know as much as I know now about how to pick or where to get a puppy (responsible breeder).

I fed him 4x a day. I am at 3x now. If you have a stay home mom neighbor or a high school student on Summer break maybe offer to hire to check and walk/feed while ur working.

It's exausting at first but it gets easier. It took me a while but now at 10 weeks he is pretty much potty trained, may have 1 accident a week if I don't hear or see him signal he has to go... (he sits at door or rings his potty bells)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
peeing every 30 minutes outside seems to be working much much better!! Yay ...and pooping- he is soooo good with it. He must really hate pooping inside because he seems to be holding it and once I take him out he goes immediately!

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
The beauty of the puppy's system is that it is fast. It seems like the action of chewing and swallowing gets the other end going almost like clockwork. So you can generally train where to potty pretty easily by that schedule.

But yeah, the younger the pup, the smaller the bladder, and the more frequent the pup needs to go out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts