German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first night with the puppy and I have Jett in his kennel right now and He is whinning and crying. When he settles down I have thrown in a nice treat. I was told "he is familiar with the crate" Just want to be successful... Help please. I am not looking at him when he is acting up.

·
Registered
185 Posts
This is my first night with the puppy and I have Jett in his kennel right now and He is whinning and crying. When he settles down I have thrown in a nice treat. I was told "he is familiar with the crate" Just want to be successful... Help please. I am not looking at him when he is acting up.
Back when I was crate training Blu and we were having difficulties, someone told me to put an old shirt or a towel with your scent on it in the crate so that the pup feels more comfortable. It worked!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I kept Juno in her crate with me in my room. I got her at 11 weeks and she whined for about 3 nights. She'd whine for maybe 10 minutes each night, it would start out loud, and get lower and lower. I just let her whine herself out. I put her crate in a place where she could see my head while I was sleeping.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The first few days are brutal. I ended up sleeping on the couch for three or four nights with her crate next to me to get her used to the idea that I was still there. Then I did the above--put the crate where she can see me while sleeping in bed. She's totally good now.

But that first week or so... The best advice I kept hearing was just let them cry it out. They'll learn.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just a question, why get a GSD if you are allergic to them?

I was going to suggest that people start the pup crated beside the bed and you often get zero nights of whining/crying.
They miss their littermates! One night they have Mom and 8 buddies and the next night, it's just you :( what do people expect? With them beside the bed, you're often able just to stick your fingers through the crate and reassure them.

But if you can't have them in the same room as you, I guess you do the best you can. The pup is going to be lonely for a few nights for sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not terribly allergic to him. I am more allergic to my cats. I love GSDs, I love cats, so I figure out a way to have them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts