German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 4 month showline import pup from Germany- absolutely awesome dog- looks and smarts- but....... I have a male 3.5 years and a female 4 years and they are not taking to him very well- female acts afraid and the male has shown some aggression towards him especially re toys- will they ever accept him??-I knew I was taking some risks with the other two but maybe I was not realistic??? Hope springs eternal.... otherwise I will have to give him away.
Never underestimate the amount of work with TWO PLUS A PUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also how long does it take to house break him- he is good in the crate overnight but many pee accidents in the gated off family room- he is always so thirsty and that is partial reason for the many and large pees.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
congrats on the new puppy!! Give it some time with the other two, you also might want to do socializing with one of the adults at a time vs the two (who might gang up on her)

Obviously never leave them alone unattended at this point, take one of the adults and the puppy for a walk together:)

As for housebreaking,,good that he's holding it overnite in the crate, altho with 8 week old puppies my schedule usually is,,out for the last time around 10 pm or later if your up,,go about 4 hours, and out again..IF you don't hear a peep out of him, well wait till she hopefully signals you:)

During the day,,always supervise,,out after eating, out after waking up, out every couple of hours..OBviously ALWAYS praise for good pottying outside..Again, they need constant supervision at this age when out of the crate:)

He's probably peeing alot because he's drinking alot and well puppies pee ALOT:) oops and I just saw he is 4mths old but outside constantly still applies:)

puppies can be pain in the butts to older dogs, so just keep a vigilant watch

Good luck with him,,and of course we want to see pictures !!!

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I hope it works out for you! Is the pup on any antibiotics? My pup is 4 months old also and my vet had her on antibiotics when we first got her as a precaution and they made her beyond thirsty which resulted in some pee pee accidents but everything went to normal when we were finished with them.

Where in Florida/ CT? We live in Florida also (Palm Beach) but my husband grew up in CT (Cheshire) so we go up there a bit too.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Great news about your new puppy!

If you KNOW your adult dogs are socialized and do well with other dogs/pups, then as long as you are 100% of the time with all the dogs when the pup is loose, and manage the puppy so it doesn't annoy the heck out of the older dogs, then they'll all get along fine.

I know that I tend to really let everyone play and interact more OUTside then in. The older dogs can escape so don't get stressed and feel backed into a corner/furniture by the nutty puppy. And the puppy will be able to pay attention to other fun things in the yard which takes the older dogs out of the picture. Must be supervised though.

Unless the puppy is in the crate, or in the room with you, the housebreaking may take quite awhile. You have to be in the same room (using the gates/doors to keep humans and pup in the SAME room) so you can see them before they squat or when the squat and get the timeliness down for the 'training' to take place.

Your older dogs are at a great age that you've had them get all your time and attention and can LEAVE THEM AT HOME to take the puppy out and about on it's own. Puppy classes, socialization, exercise, visiting everyone you know, car rides, PUPPY CLASSES!

This way you are doing the vital training and socialization outside of the home for the puppy. You are giving the adult dogs a break from crazy puppy so they can relax and calm. And you are both EXERCISING your puppy mentally and physically so when you DO arrive back home they pup will tend to go and crash in their crate/bed to further give EVERYONE in the house a break.

Remember, a good puppy is a tired puppy. So if the humans in the house can arrange the puppies day, schedule the puppies day, with real events and periods of time that really challenge the puppy mentally and physically then home life is just so much easier.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
We live in Vero Beach florida and Branford Ct.
Wow, small world! Vero is very close to us here and when we do go up to CT now, we are in Branford (my mother in law was in Cheshire her whole life but once her kids were all adults and moved away she decided to live on the water in Branford!)

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
congrats on the new puppy!! Give it some time with the other two, you also might want to do socializing with one of the adults at a time vs the two (who might gang up on her)

Obviously never leave them alone unattended at this point, take one of the adults and the puppy for a walk together:)

As for housebreaking,,good that he's holding it overnite in the crate, altho with 8 week old puppies my schedule usually is,,out for the last time around 10 pm or later if your up,,go about 4 hours, and out again..IF you don't hear a peep out of him, well wait till she hopefully signals you:)

During the day,,always supervise,,out after eating, out after waking up, out every couple of hours..OBviously ALWAYS praise for good pottying outside..Again, they need constant supervision at this age when out of the crate:)

He's probably peeing alot because he's drinking alot and well puppies pee ALOT:) oops and I just saw he is 4mths old but outside constantly still applies:)

puppies can be pain in the butts to older dogs, so just keep a vigilant watch

Good luck with him,,and of course we want to see pictures !!!
Agreed ....... patient, persistent 'parenting'............ yes, pictures please

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New pup UPDATE

My male now has attacked the pup unprovoked 3 times- this last time was so nasty that the 4 month old pooped-he grabbed him by the neck-
Will get an animal behaviorist on Monday- if i can not resolve these issues will have to send him back or rehome him-he is absolutely an awesome dog-I can see he is very smart, alert and already acting out as a watch dog at 4 months- a progeny of Remo vom Fichtenschlag.
Any one have such an experience? With me the older dog knows I am the alpha.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
congrats on the new pup and yes they'll eventually accept the new addition. We had the same issue with our 6 year old male when we brought Shasta home. Up until about 3 weeks ago, he was mean and nasty and just generally not trustworthy around her. Suddenly they're playing and having a good time with eachother. Shasta is also now 6 months old and isnt nearly as obnoxious as she was when i first brough her home. it'll take time but its worth it. Just have to wait until the pup is around long enough for the other two to realize she's not going anywhere and is permanent. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Some dogs don't like young pups but as the pup gets older they accept them. They become more fun to play with. If your male indeed knows you as the alpha then let him know his attacking the pup is not acceptable. A behaviourist will not hurt either.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I definately think a behaviorist is warranted..I honestly will not say, "you can get these dogs to get along in the future",,because honestly, it may not happen:((

For now, I would keep these two separated or your male may end up killing him.

This isn't good for your puppy's confidence either, and can definately leave lasting impressions on him..

How's the female doing with him?? Definately keep them separated..

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
My dogs have had to tolerate all kinds of puppies coming in.

Each adult dog has a different reaction to them. I work with each individual adult with the puppy in a different way because of this.

I also observe the puppy, its temperament, its boldness or submissiveness and look at its background in a setting of other dogs. The worst for my pack in terms of being able to accept them is a puppy who has a tendency to be bold, and who has not been around other dogs in a social environment. Basically a punk! Each group of dogs is different, I would bet.

What I do though is work with the puppy first without the other dogs on some appropriate behaviors and responses to me, so that the puppy gets that I am the person to be listening to, and that if I tell him off, he will do it. I want the puppy to be focused enough on me so that I can help my dogs deal with him.

I let the dogs see the puppy in the crate, behind baby gates, etc. But no interaction with the puppy for a while. Treats near the puppy, treats when showing upbeat behavior around the puppy, etc. Puppy = good stuff!

Once I see that they are used to seeing the puppy and he's not an item of extreme interest, I will let them interact with the puppy - the puppy is on leash. I can then pull the puppy back and help shape appropriate behaviors. Am I maybe too cautious - yeah, but these aren't my puppies and even if they were, I wouldn't want them starting with a bad experience.

With the adult dogs I use a lot of verbal feedback and watch carefully their body language around the puppy. So the whole time they are interacting, I am talking, guiding with my voice, nice, nice to puppy, oh good, ah, eh, wait, easy, good! I keep the interactions short.

Now when I had fewer dogs and my oldest dog to show how it's done, I could just drop a puppy in the group and that was it!

But given your situation, I would dial it all the way back to crate and rotate. Start from square one and try to go from there while you get help from a behaviorist.

One thing I rarely do to my dogs is correct them around the puppy because of the puppy - and I don't do this by ignoring bad behavior, I do it by preventing bad behavior in the first place - by setting both dogs up to succeed by limiting their interactions to ones I can control.

Good luck!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like I will have to sell my pup- male has tried to get him 5 times- have a great trainer/dog behaviorist coming Friday and Monday but I do not have much hope for resolving this dilema which I created by bringing another dog into the pack-vet does not believe male or female pup would have made a difference- my female is afraid of him-
My alternative is to put my male down since I have been dealing with his health issues for 2 years and $15k+++ - IBD and now mild hip displasia at 3.5 years old- we can not treat the osteoarthritis bc he is on prednisone which we have been trying to wean him off for 18 months to no avail by using holistic med ie acupuncture.

I have forced myself into a situation where I have to make a decision I do not want to make- ie like firing someone. It is always ugly- In a week I have become attached to the pup and he has great potential - looks and intelligence- his father is Remo vom Fichtenschlag one of the young upcoming German dogs- his mother is a progeny of Quenn vom Loehr- great genetics unlike my male from a great?????? breeder in Pittsburgh-he has got some serious!!!!!! genetic defects but still a GREAT dog personality and looks. He has been sick since he was 18 months old.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Looks like I will have to sell my pup- male has tried to get him 5 times- have a great trainer/dog behaviorist coming Friday and Monday but I do not have much hope for resolving this dilema which I created by bringing another dog into the pack-vet does not believe male or female pup would have made a difference- my female is afraid of him-
My alternative is to put my male down since I have been dealing with his health issues for 2 years and $15k+++ - IBD and now mild hip displasia at 3.5 years old- we can not treat the osteoarthritis bc he is on prednisone which we have been trying to wean him off for 18 months to no avail by using holistic med ie acupuncture.

I have forced myself into a situation where I have to make a decision I do not want to make- ie like firing someone. It is always ugly- In a week I have become attached to the pup and he has great potential - looks and intelligence- his father is Remo vom Fichtenschlag one of the young upcoming German dogs- his mother is a progeny of Quenn vom Loehr- great genetics unlike my male from a great?????? breeder in Pittsburgh-he has got some serious!!!!!! genetic defects but still a GREAT dog personality and looks. He has been sick since he was 18 months old.
In regards to the older male that is not your only alternative. My opinion of course but the medical you describe is not a reason to PTS. Rehome him or let a GSD rescue rehome him maybe, etc. but his medical is managable for many GSD owners. I have worked with different medical conditions, most brought on by age. Terminal inoperable cancer was the only reason I PTS my dog. I am not saying you need to carry the medical but there are many people that will.

Have you ever though that the puppy jumping on the male etc hurts because of the hip problems etc?

Dogs with painful conditions bite because it hurts when hit or touched certain ways.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The pup does not jump on the male dog- he tries to lick him and my female-I would never let that happen or otherwise I would have a disaster on my hands. Dealing with Inflammatory Bowel Disease is very difficult- if you understand it-- the basis is malabsorption within the upper and lower gut with accompanying loose stools very much like Chrons. Prednisone and Azathioprine, his primary drugs, are wonder drugs each with associated nasty side effects.
We are now considering a switch to cyclosporine which for a dog of his size is $300 per month- you see pred causes muscle atrophy and oteoporosis over time.
We have never been able to get him into remission only under control for short periods- VERY TRYING to say the least. One wants to see light at the end of the tunnel- very few people would write the checks I have paid over the last two years to keep their dog going- that is per the UofF Vet School and his local vet.
Just FYI

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I'm so sorrry your in such a difficult situation:( Hope your able to resolve it.

·
Registered
936 Posts
The pup does not jump on the male dog- he tries to lick him and my female-I would never let that happen or otherwise I would have a disaster on my hands. Dealing with Inflammatory Bowel Disease is very difficult- if you understand it-- the basis is malabsorption within the upper and lower gut with accompanying loose stools very much like Chrons. Prednisone and Azathioprine, his primary drugs, are wonder drugs each with associated nasty side effects.
We are now considering a switch to cyclosporine which for a dog of his size is $300 per month- you see pred causes muscle atrophy and oteoporosis over time.
We have never been able to get him into remission only under control for short periods- VERY TRYING to say the least. One wants to see light at the end of the tunnel- very few people would write the checks I have paid over the last two years to keep their dog going- that is per the UofF Vet School and his local vet.
Just FYI
Believe me, I have been there. IBD (loose stools for years), pannus, HD, non healing perrianal fistulas, anal sac adenocarcinoma, blown ACL...and so on. The knee alone was $5000.

So I do understand you.

I think what I want to say is that PTS is not the only option. There are GSD people who will take them on

1 - 20 of 64 Posts