German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I’m new to this fourm and GSD’s!
I just picked up my brand new baby GSD mix yesterday. I got him from a local shelter, who did all vaccinatons, deworming etc for free! I’m not sure what hes mixed with, because all they told me that he was German Shepherd Mix. Hes super curious and a little ADHD haha! Anyway, his name is Mateo and hes amazing, but I do have a few questions:

I bought kirkland brand wet/dry food, which has no corn, dyes etc. I’m feeding him about 1 & 1/3 cup dry, and about 4.5oz wet: twice a day. Is this too much/too often?

I hear all this talk about pointy ears, is it a health concern or purely cosmetic? Because his ears are floppy.

Lastly, he seems to do a lot of play biting/teething. Is this normal?

Thanks everyone!

pic included aswell

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Mixed dogs are a toss up when it comes to the ears. It's 100% cosmetic. They'll likely hear better with standing ears, and it's more difficult for someone/another dog to latch on to the dogs ears if they're standing(hence ear cropping for some game breeds), but it doesn't pose any health concerns for your dog. Depending on the age, teething is very normal. Get him plenty of toys and ropes to teeth on. Younger dogs teeth to deal with teeth coming in/falling out. It can be painful. As for the feeding, I can't really gauge his size/weight, but the amount of food seems fine if he's still growing. I personally was giving my shepherd 4 cups of high protein victor sled dog food once a day from the day I got him at 4 months old, until he was about a year. He was underweight so that amount seemed good for him. If your dog isn't under/overweight and isn't excessively active, that amount seems fine.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Your little guy is very cute!

The pointy ears is mostly cosmetic - but I would say due to your guy being a mix and that he is already 11 months old and they aren't up yet they aren't going to go up - he looks awesome with his ears the way they are.

The biting - I would put a stop to that immediately - he shouldn't be teething any more at 11 months old - there is no need and no excuse for him using his teeth.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Cute puppy congratulations, and welcome to the forum!

On the food question, I'd start with the recommended amount for your dogs weight on the bag, then adjust if needed based on your dog. Keeping dogs a bit lean is a good thing!

At 11 months he's done teething, but since you just got him, give him gentle discouragement at this point for his excited mouthing, and give him time to settle in before expecting too much from him. Dog's from rescues/shelters take a little longer sometimes to feel at home. Though in general I don't usually suggest redirection at this age, I would try that here. When he's getting excited and nippy, give him a toy to chew on instead and animate the toy to keep him interested.

As others said, the ears might not stand, but it's cosmetic only. Just enjoy him for who he turns out to be!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mixed dogs are a toss up when it comes to the ears. It's 100% cosmetic. They'll likely hear better with standing ears, and it's more difficult for someone/another dog to latch on to the dogs ears if they're standing(hence ear cropping for some game breeds), but it doesn't pose any health concerns for your dog. Depending on the age, teething is very normal. Get him plenty of toys and ropes to teeth on. Younger dogs teeth to deal with teeth coming in/falling out. It can be painful. As for the feeding, I can't really gauge his size/weight, but the amount of food seems fine if he's still growing. I personally was giving my shepherd 4 cups of high protein victor sled dog food once a day from the day I got him at 4 months old, until he was about a year. He was underweight so that amount seemed good for him. If your dog isn't under/overweight and isn't excessively active, that amount seems fine.
Thank you!
He is 42 pounds. Should I feed 2x a day?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Congrats on your pup and welcome to the forum. I feed puppy food until my dog is 2, based on vet's recommendation and my dog's body max index. Generally after 6 months, dogs are fed twice a day, morning and evening. I don't feed based on what it says on the bag, I use this:

http://platopettreats.com/connect/dogs-daily-calorie-calculator/

For what it's worth, my dog is on the leaner side so I never worry about overfeeding him. So take a look at your dog's body when feeding too.

11 months old dogs should not still be bitey/nippy. Make sure you aleays6say a firm 'No' whenever your pup bites.

Recommeded brand of food: Taste of the Wild, Victor, Pro Pac.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Thank you!
He is 42 pounds. Should I feed 2x a day?

What a cutie! Yes, feeding 2x a day is much better than, for example, a single meal --- fewer digestive problems that way and (IMO) it's easier to house train if the dog's not sitting on a full belly all day long. Bagged foods usually give only the total number of cups per day, based on the dogs weight. So, feed half that amount in the AM and again in the PM --- adjusting it as you see how he does (e.g., if he's getting tubby, reduce the amount, you want to keep him lean). You can also keep back some (e.g., 1/4 cup) of the daily kibble to use as training rewards.

·
Registered
1 Posts
With regards to food I would recommend feeding raw. Yes I said raw lol. I am a country boy thats a nurse and my wife is a vet. When we married 3 years ago she had me switch my dog to raw which I did to save the peace. Well then I started helping at the clinic and seeing her clients that were 15, 18 even end 19 years old looking half that with almost no ailments. Their costs smelled better and looked amazing, their breath smelled better, pop had a lot less foul odor not to mention was less in frequency and in quantity becauthey are utilizing almost everything and there isn't all the fillers. I could keep going but check into it or find a vet close to you that supports raw feeding. Granted they are difficult to find. Lol most say it's bad for them or it'll kill them but if it's so bad then why are all the wolves, fox and coyotes doing so well? Good luck with the ears.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts