German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a long time ago maybe 6 yrs??? when my dog was a pup she was around 1 year or just over that. My cousins brought their jack russel over the holidays. A dominant male. BUT he got along with her. Back then my czech bitch got along with all dogs. They played a lot.

BUT One time just one time they were playing he was running and she actually caught him. Something snapped in her (prey drive) her tooth went into his anus and split it open. He had to have surgery but his anus was never the same like he always had a torn anus after that could never be repaired but other than he was fine. We never let them play again. They did meet no aggression at all but never played.

I never understood did she do that on purpose? My cousins wife didn't think so. I honestly didnt know at the time. She never did things like that to dogs.

Another thing is all her life she has been around cats they always hop over her run in front of her. She does follow them sometimes runs after, she gets in trouble if she runs after them but not once in 6 years did she ever even nip a cat. WHile she kills anything that gets in the yard coon, mink. rabbit (she cant catch rabbits but wishes thank god she cant catch them cause i love them) squirrels rats whatever.

Does that mean she can control her prey drive and did what she did on purpose? I just never understood it. Like if she had that kind of prey drive why hasnt she grabbed a cat that jumps over her head running up the stairs? Maybe because she knows id kill her?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I don't think she did it on purpose. It was an accident. The chase got too instense. She was trying real hard to catch him and did but her aim was off. As for the cats, she likes cats. Maybe they wash her ears like my cat used to do to my dog. The cats live inside with her and are part of her pack. The squirrels, mink, and other wilidlife are not part of her pack and they live only outside and so are fair game.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts