German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know they shed ALL the time but......I bathed Athena last night,I was feeling lucky.The good news is I don't think any water got in the basement this time around...We brushed her out the best we could then and the fur was never ending.I again brushed her this AM and it is still coming out in bunches. My question is this. If I were to have her professionally groomed every so often then kept up with the brushing would the amount of fur shed or brushed lessen?

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
OMG I have been Brushing Brady same thing the hair coming out of him is ridiculous. Its winter not spring I swear I get a puppy everytime I brush him

I have him professionally groomed so that ain't the answer

Why are they shedding so bad NOW?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Shadow sheds a little. Waiting to see how he does this spring.

But since I put him on Longevity, by Springtime. It is so much better.

The Salmon oil gives him the runs, but the Longevity works.

Never took him to a groomer. We bath him, comb him out wet, then again dry.

·
Registered
921 Posts
It may be the change in weather.. dry air from the furnace????
I am having the same problem with my male.. shedding constantly. Everytime he shakes he covers tables, couch and floor with hair. No amount of brushing seems to help right now. Wonder if my vacuum will last the season.. lol

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to see it wasn't just the bath.I thought I was going to have an asthma attack(and I don't have asthma) this AM trying to get her brushed out and I still need to get her hind end better even after what I have already done.The birds will have nice cozy nests this spring with all this hair she produces.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
they shed. i find that April thriugh August is the worst. my still sheds but it doesn't seem as much from September untill now. it's part of owning a dog. i brush mine a couple of times a week.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Having the "professionally" groomed will only cost you money, it won't make any other difference. A groomer does the EXACT same things you can do at home for FREE.

The only difference is that they likely have a force dryer which will blow a lot of the hair out and it will be in the grooming shop instead of your house!

(This is NOT a "slam" of any sort against groomers. I used to be one myself. And even then, I often wondered why people didn't just brush and bathe their own dogs! Other than those that NEEED clipped.)

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Athena is deathly afraid of the vacuum or I would vacuum her when she is like this. I haven't been bathing her because she is so out of control and the last time we did at the end of summer,we had the bathroom so wet,hubby asked if we had a leak when he went down cellar the next day.Last night wasn't quit as bad but still needed 2 people to hold her in the tub.I was thinking next time I might try to put a toy in the tub and maybe she would do better thinking it was like her pool. Oh well I guess the days I vacuum I have to brush her out first.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have any good advice on getting her to like the tub.We've tried it filled ,not filled,hose,no hose. She will go in but as soon as water is there she books it out.She loved her pool this summer and she likes to go in rivers and such.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
The only resone why I have Brady and missy groomed professionally is I can't get either on in the Bath tub!!
I brush them and clip their nails
Nothing like a fluffy GSD after they are groomed

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have been a groomer for 30 years and the only thing I can come up with why dogs seem to be blowing coat more this year then previous years, is the nicer weather we have been having. Its not so much the temp that makes them shed it is the hours of available sunlight mother natures way of kicking animals into winter mode shorter days longer coats. We have had more days of sunlight then normal for this time of year. Labs boxers and short haired breeds like them go through a coat change about every 4 weeks they don't have the massive blowout twice a year as the double coated breeds do. Taking them to a groomer every 4-6 weeks helps keep the shedding to a minimal and you get to leave the bulk of the hair at the grooming shop. Whatever you do ask them not to use the shedding tool called the furminator it has been my experience that you can use it once in awhile but used to often you can damage the coat it thins and breaks and comes back in all nappy, as well as if it is used wrong or to harshly can cause the skin to bleed. That is just my opinion on using it. Shaving a short haired dog also does not mean it stops the shedding they still shed just shorter hair and eventually if done to often and to short will damamge the hair follicles and you run the risk of a bald dog as the age. A good coat condition sprayed on a wash cloth and ran over the dog in between baths will help cut down the hair all over the house as well as static. Hang in there summer is coming!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Unless they have an encounter with a skunk I only bathe my dogs in the summer. If they get muddy I wipe them off with a wet towel.

I find that shedding is directly related to overall health. Obviously the double coated dogs blow coat a couple of times a year but beyond that if my dogs are healthy and happy (they shed when stressed as well) they don't shed that much. Keep in mind that "that much" is all relative--I've had gsds for more than 20 years now so I'm used to the shedding!

Rafi does some mini coat blows all through the winter, as the temperature changes. This winter has been strange with really cold temps and then warmer temps again and again so he has done several mini coat blows (usually just his skirt hair).

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
If your dog is getting that dog smell, then some of the smell and even the shedding may be related to diet.

Thyroid problems can also increase shedding.

Can't say that as skeptical as I was about the furminator, I love it.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Originally Posted By: AllieGWhat do you recommend as a good coat conditioner to spray on them? Athena isn't really dirty this time of year she just gets that dog smell that I hate.
I love the "between bath" spray from Earthbath! I too, do not really give baths unless it is summer or there is some other reason to do so. I think the dogs always smell pretty good, but when I brush them I sometimes use this spray on that smells good and it actually lasts (the smell)! Also just gives an extra shine. Whenever I use it they get great comments on their "smell"

I do not use it alot, but really like this product and their others

I like the Mango Tango...

http://www.earthbath.com/between.html

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ok next time i brush my Max in the summertime i'm going to post a picture of it, this past summer Max was shedding so bad that i fiiled 2 30 gal. trash bags, i would just grab his coat with my hand and chunks of hair would be coming out and then the wind started blowing hair all ovet the place, my front yard look like a cotton field.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As of November she was OK.I had bloodwork done when she went in to get Spayed.I just have this thing with certain smells,dog being one of them.I think she is very healthy.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Is it that wet dog smell? I can't stand that either. Otto isn't too bad but Morgan just smells woofy - she likes to lay in the mud... loves to swim in the bay too. My car was just lovely smelling last summer, wet german shepherd at low tide combined with stinky boy shoes and slightly wiffy from potty training the twins.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts