German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I'd like to hear everyone's opinions on when to neuter a male pup.

My Blue is 5.5 months old and other than the typical puppy energy (and resulting destruction of my things) he's WONDERFUL! He gets on well with people and dogs (we did have a minor incident with a kid over the weekend, Blue was really tired from a long hike and I think it caused some fears to come to the surface, but that's good news - lets me know what I need to work on). He shows very few signs of being dominant and will happily submit to another dog if that's what they want then pop up and be ready to play.

My intention is to not get him fixed until he's close to a year old because I've read that it helps him grow and he'll be a healthier dog, however I'm wondering if leaving him intact that long will cause some of that 'sweet boy' to fade.

Should I consider getting him fixed earlier so that he remains a good 'middle of the road' dog? Neither timid nor dominant.

I take him everywhere I can with me and want to keep it that way. I don't want an aggressive/dominant dog - his size alone is protection enough so I don't need him doing any of the other posturing.

What are your opinions?

Thanks!

~L'aura

·
Registered
561 Posts
i had oliver neuter at about 5-6 months old (what ever age the vet said that was safe)
he is now 105 lbs,he grew pretty fast,and he is the sweetest gsd you 're ever meet!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Cooper didn't get neutered until a little after a year ... he was like a year old and 3 months or so.

Anyway, I would wait until he's at least a year old, but that is just my personal preference. My vet did want me to get him "fixed" at 6 months but I wanted to wait. I also want to add that Cooper is not timid or dominant. He is very even tempered and weighs in at 98 pounds. I don't think being timid or dominant has anything to do with when they are neutered.

Just do what you are most comfortable with and good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nevada is still intact and he's not timid or dominant either. I think most of that has to do with socialization. I'm not suggesting you shouldn't have him neutered, just giving you an idea about how socialization is much more important than when you have him neutered.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
If a dog is very dominant neutering MIGHT help but there's no guarantee. Proper training, socialization and leadership WILL.

I will not neuter a dog prior to TWO years of age. The hormones are used for more than just reproduction.

Studies have shown that male Rottweilers neutered young (under 1 or 2 years - can't remember) and a greatly increased risk of bone cancer.

My boy Riggs wasn't neutered until he was almost 6.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
Two of my boys were neutered just past two. My vet even told me he thought it is best to wait IF he knows that a dog will be kept secure and no chance of breeding. Otherwise he tells people 6 months.

Today I took one of those males to the vet to have staples removed from his face. The new office cat was curled up in a chair by the front door and Chase walked right by it with no more of a glance then if it had been a purse sitting there. (He has never seen this cat before.) Then a vet tech came out to get him to take him to the back and once I handed her the leash and told him to "follow" he went right with her.

My 7 year old male still intact was at the vet last week. He visited with a toddler in the waiting room and ignored the other animals in there. He did cause a problem for that vet tech there as he gave her a big kiss and then the new vet on the staff whom he had never seen before was given just a token kiss.

I prefer to keep my dogs intact till at least age two unless for a medical issue before then. Years ago I had all neutered and spayed around 6 months because I had not researched or spoke to others in the field for different views.

If you are not 110% sure that you can keep your dog contained and no chance of an opps litter then I always suggest having a neuter/spay around 6 months of age.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
i'm for waiting until he's 2.5 to 3 yrs old too. gives them a chance to develop their secondary sex characteristics. though it sometimes takes even longer than that.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a bunch for the input. I think I'll stay on course for 1 year and see if I can't push it closer to two depending on whether he shows signs of getting out of the yard.

Those of you who've left your boys intact for awhile - do you have any problems? Like if you're walking on a trail and there's a female in season will your boy run off? Or is that just part of good training - they'll ignore the girls if you tell them to?

Also, do you find that they're more hyper or likely to roam? I'm more familiar with cats and know that getting your Tom fixed will often calm him down and keep him closer to home.

Thanks, again!

~L'aura

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
I've never had a neutered dog. My dogs have worked calmly around other males, females in season, etc. Not all males in every situation can be so, and the investiture in training matters... but for the sake of the whole dog, holisticly speaking, I prefer to leave a dog intact. This is a personal choice for an owner. A leash makes a super birth control method, and tight training is a great way to increase the bond between dog and handler.

There are many dogs who have poor self control in everything, and cannot be trusted to not attack a throw pillow... other dogs can intergrate with other intact males in a meet-n-greet situaion and have zero issues. Confidence, dominance, good nerves, other things all factor in. Again.. personal choice for the owner.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
my boy is still intact at age 5. none of our kidz are ever outdoors off lead unless they're inside a fenced yard. never even out in the fenced yard unsupervised. i'd never be comfortable walking on a trail off lead unless the dog's training was absolutely bomb proof. just the way i do things, realize it's not for everybody.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I have to be honest, my only experience with an unneutered male was a foster (obviously he was neutered before he was adopted out). I did have a problem with him but it was from other, neutered male dogs. They didn't like that he smelled different and would go after him! I have seen this happen with off leash dog areas too. If there is a unneutered male the neutered males start acting like idiots around him!

If I did have an unneutered male who had reached sexual maturity, I would not give him off leash privileges. That would be too big of a chance for me to take.

That said, all of my rescues have been neutered between 6 months and a year and it has not caused any health problems or affected their development. The most macho looking male I've ever had was neutered at 6 months!

·
Registered
964 Posts
I am in the same situation as you L'aura. I am going to wait as close to two as I can get. Quincy just turned 6 mnths and like your boy is pretty good. Maybe a little timid in new situations but no aggressions/dominence. I have him in a weekly obedience class and we are going to a herding seminar this week-end.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, thanks, again, for all the input.

You've got me thinking about maybe never getting Blue 'fixed', but all the comments about not letting him off leash sort of cancel it for me. He's good on leash and all, but my main reason for getting him is to have a hiking/camping/snowshoeing buddy and we're regulars at the dog park so from the way it sounds, to fit MY lifestyle I'll have to get him fixed.

Now I've another question about dominance - I'll post a new thread...

Thanks, again!

~L'aura

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
...and train him till he's bomb-proof!

also want to clarify...my reason for not having the cashman neutered before now is because i had a VERY BAD experience with a dog and general anesthesia, and have been irrationally afraid ever since. so i don't want to give the impression that i am in any way against neutering, it's just that between the anesthesia issues and some medical issues cash has, i've just been reluctant to do it. since the girls here are both spayed, it's not a problem.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
I have done all those things-- all off-leash-- with dogs who were left intact. This is about training. A dog, neutered or not, may run away from your side off-lead without regular training.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally Posted By: BrightelfI have done all those things-- all off-leash-- with dogs who were left intact. This is about training. A dog, neutered or not, may run away from your side off-lead without regular training.
Thanks Patti - this is exactly how I needed to hear it. I've always had ALL my animals 'fixed' and feel pretty strongly about it, but realized it's almost become a knee-jerk reaction for me. This has me really thinking it through.

And it occurred to me that all my pets until the last few years have been cats which are little harder to train to do what you say. Heck, I've got one that seems to only understand commands in reverse - you call, "here, kitty, kitty, kitty" and he heads the opposite direction!

Thanks, again, for the conversation!

~L'aura

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Originally Posted By: L'aura...
Those of you who've left your boys intact for awhile - do you have any problems? Like if you're walking on a trail and there's a female in season will your boy run off? Or is that just part of good training - they'll ignore the girls if you tell them to?

Also, do you find that they're more hyper or likely to roam? I'm more familiar with cats and know that getting your Tom fixed will often calm him down and keep him closer to home.
Unlike your cats, a good, secure fence is your best insurance to keep your dog, neutered or not, at home. And like others have mentioned, training helps too.

Even neutered boys can be attracted to a bitch in heat. Tex lost his virginity years after he was neutered - and he wasn't that unusual - if given the opportunity and the right set of circumstances, boys will be boys.

BUT on the other hand, I've never had a GSD roam - neutered, with a vasectomy, or in tact.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
I will not neuter my dog, although he will never be bred.

If the original poster decides to neuter the dog, please wait until the animal is a few years old.

The most recent large study on neutering, done less then a year ago, raises some serious health questions regarding neutering. I have posted it at least more then once, so if you can search and give it a read, it might be helpful.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts