German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kai is coming up to be 1 years old in may and im not sure if its to late to neuter him or even if its work it?

Hes just a family pet, not a working or show dog.

Is there a point of neutering him and is it to late? whens the latest i could as i would need ot save up to do so

also would kai not being neuterd affect his future life? would it mean i couldnt let him off lead around other male dogs at parks ect?

please someone clear this up for me

·
Registered
290 Posts
You can still neuter. It's more expensive as they get older/larger and recovery times are longer, but 1 year is definitely not late by any means. We'll do our boy at 12-18 months, whenever he is fully developed. The only reasons I can think of where not being neutered would affect his life would be at dog parks where they require animals. Be neutered or if a boarding facility requires it, or if there is a speuter law. But if the dog park allows intact animals, I don't see why you would have issues.

Whether it is worth it is entirely up to you. The only reason I am doing my guy is the law and our breeder's contract.

·
Registered
866 Posts
It's never too late to neuter. Take as long as you need to save up the money.

Being intact could affect your ability to board him or take him to certain places.

Neutered dogs tend to get along better in a pack situation but it is by no means a guarantee. A lot of that is just their personality. Either way it's always a good idea to keep an eye on him so you can intervene if things get out of hand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts