German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All-

I apologize in advance if these questions have been answered already. I may be just an overprotective mom - but I am a little worried about Attila. We had him neutered last Wednesday, as well as getting his rear dew claws removed. The bandages for the dew claws came off yesterday and he hasn't been too bad with that. However, he will not stop licking his neutering site.

Now - we have tried the elizabethan collar, but it stresses him out so bad that I cannot bear to do that to him. And I did read about ice on the area, but we cannot get near it. He does seem to be doing a little better each day, but when he gets up tp move he runs like something is chasing him and then stops to lick. From what I can see, it may be swollen. During the day he isn't so bad, but nighttime is terrible.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:)

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Can you put a belly wrap/band around it so he can't lick it? You'd just have to take it off for him to pee. I've never experienced a neuter (mine was already done), but one dog had to wear a T-shirt so he couldn't lick or scratch a wound and I rolled it back whenever he went to pee.

·
2,967 Posts
If it looks swollen and he won't let you anywhere near it, I would call the Vet. I'm a worry-wart and I would be concerned about infection.

Options for keeping him from licking...

An alternative to the Elizabethan collar, not supposed to be as stressful because they can still see around them...
http://www.handicappedpets.com/acc/nobite/

T-Shirt and Boy's underwear...we used for a spayed dog...just flip the underwear around do you can put the tail through the fly.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
I would call the Vet. Also you should be keeping him calm (ie no running) for at least a week after the neuter surgery. Too much running can cause a hernia or internal bleeding which will cause swelling. The swelling causes the stitches to pull and feel very uncomfortable. You might also try using some cold packs to reduce the swelling or cold pack alternating with warm packs to reduce the swelling. Hey don't laugh I did this mith my older male when he was neuter, he would let me apply the cold packs while he was laying down, but he would stand and I would hold the pack against his scrotum.

Val

1 - 4 of 4 Posts