German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to get a general concensus of how old y'all think a male should be before you neuter him? Some say wait for him to fill out, others don't think it makes a difference.

Advice?

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I wouldn't neuter until 18 months to 2 years of age for the reason you mentioned. However, if for whatever reason you need to neuter him younger it's obviously not going to hurt anything.

·
Registered
895 Posts
A pretty contoversial question, but there seems to be an agreement regarding not to neuter a gsd before 1.5 yo. The reason is to wait him complete his growth, especially boney growth. They say early neutering increase the incidence of bone tumors in male dogs. So, I don't know. But I'm not planning to neuter mine. So, GL..

·
Registered
31,828 Posts
15 years. If I have a dog that lives that long I will consider neutering him.

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
I will be looking into vasectomy for my next male ... and not until after 2 yrs of age.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm not neutering Kodee til he's at least 2-1/2, or 3 yrs. If at all. He's indoors, and with me at all times if outdoors - so no unwanted pups from him. We had GSD's all my life growing up, and the only one that didn't look like a nice, filled out masculine one (they were all males), was the one that got neutered at 7 mos. The others were intact, and were gorgeous. The neutered one got VERY tall, and had a very feminine narrow head/face.

Plus, I just don't like the idea of putting Kodee under general if it isn't necessary. I may get him neutered after age 3 or so, as my vet does say it helps prevent not just testicular cancer, but prostate problems as well...

Haven't decided on that, yet, though.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
I love your comment, said in jest or not.

To the original poster, please take the time to read some of the more recent studies on neutering a GSD.

If you decide to neuter, wait like most said until the dog is about two years old.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
For a responsible pet owner, at least 2 years old. For the average pet owner, the sooner the better.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I won't spay my female until she's at least 2.

Her vet, as great as she is, just does not seem to understand this. Every time we go, she asks when we'll be spaying her, and gives us a printed up estimate.

Last time I kindly asked her not to waste their paper on me.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Halen...don't you have a young female GSD too?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My female is spayed.

My mixed breed, Rocket, wasn't neutered until he was 3 years old. He'd been hit by a car twice (long story) and had been through enough that I just didn't want to put him through any more. I thought getting him neutered would make him friendlier with other male dogs, but that didn't work!!

Anyway, guess as long as there's no issues, I'll keep him intact. At least till he's past 18 months.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I just got Quincy spayed at 8 mnths. I ws planning on waiting but his hormones started to rage so I went with my gut and had it taken care of.

·
Registered
31,828 Posts
His hormones started to rage??? At eight months??? You mean he became a teenager? So you neutered him?

Did it work?

Everyone I talk to that neuters because of behavioral issues is disappointed, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work ever.

Ok, calming down now, we usually do encourage a neuter for serious behavioral issues, but that is more because the dog is not a good representative of the breed and should not be used for breeding. When you have an intact dog, even if it is not a good breeding prospect, when someone offers you a stud fee, the temptation is not there to go ahead and breed him anyway.

Bad temperament is one of the only reasons I might neuter or spay. I can keep my lot separated, but if I die and someone else gets the dog/bitch, and they go ahead and breed it, it is the only thing that pretty much guarantees the puppies a doubtful life. Health problems will be tolerated, not performing well in conformation or performance will not necessarily land a dog in a shelter. And even if it does, the dog will still be adoptable. Poor temperament is a liability not only for the owners, but for the breed itself.

If I neutered my dog, what would I have left to threaten him with when he is a pookey????

·
Registered
151 Posts
Originally Posted By: Lauri & The GangI will be looking into vasectomy for my next male ... and not until after 2 yrs of age.
Why the wait? I was under the impression that a vasectomy causes no hormonal differences, so why wait until adulthood?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts