German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 4 month old puppy from rescue. He is scheduled to be neutered at the end of feruary. Ive heard conflicting stories about stunting there growth and drastic behovioral chnges....Any information would be great! I had GSD growing up but the males were never neutered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No you do not really need to.
If you are confident you can control and contain an intact male then go for it.
Dogs do not have an attachment to their reproductive organs, and you shouldn't have an attachment to them either! Make sure if you decide NOT to go ahead, you're doing it because you don't see the benefits and not because you feel sorry for him.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
For males, it is best to wait until they are mostly grown. Early removal of the testicles can result in longer legs and a feminization of facial features. The testosterone does play a part in the growth process, so if you can wait to do the neuter until your pup is a year or two years old, that is the ideal time frame to have it done.

We have not noticed any behavioral changes following Niko's neuter.

·
Registered
275 Posts
For most rescues, isn't neutering part of the adoption contract? Or don't they neuter/spay their dogs before adopting them out, if that were the case...would it be better to adopt an older dog who wasn't neutered too early?

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
If you do decide to neuter I would wait until your male is 1.5-2 years old.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
You'll have to comply with the adoption agreement, but if it allows for the option of waiting I would also wait. My vet recommends 9 mos at the earliest and prefers 16-18 mos but before 2 yrs old. Thanks for giving the pup a home! What's his name?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
You'll have to comply with the adoption agreement, but if it allows for the option of waiting I would also wait. My vet recommends 9 mos at the earliest and prefers 16-18 mos but before 2 yrs old. Thanks for giving the pup a home! What's his name?
I agree with Stosh. If you can wait, hold out until at least 18 months to allow him to fully grown and mature. If you have to neuter sooner then comply with your agreement and do so. It's not going to hurt him :cool:

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Sorry, but no.

If you're not intending on breeding down the road to IMPROVE the breed, there is no reason why you shouldn't neuter/spay your dog.
There are alot of people on here that have GSD's that are not spayed or neutered and have never had a litter of puppies and never will.

Some people feel that there is not enough information out there to convince them that spaying and neutering is healthier than leaving them intact.

(My GSD is neutered and so are 2 out of 3 of my cats)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
There are alot of people on here that have GSD's that are not spayed or neutered and have never had a litter of puppies and never will.

Some people feel that there is not enough information out there to convince them that spaying and neutering is healthier than leaving them intact.

I know and I don't personally agree with it. It's healthier to fix them...I don't know how much more "proof" people need to be convinced :cool:

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I know and I don't personally agree with it. It's healthier to fix them...I don't know how much more "proof" people need to be convinced :cool:
Yes, you believe that it is healthier to fix them but there isn't 100% proof that it is or isn't healthier to get them fixed.

Some dogs can live to be 15 years old, not be neutered and lived a healthy life.

Some dogs can live to be 5 years old, be neutered and lived an unhealthy life.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Pyrate was neutered at the shelter at 8 weeks old. I thought that was way too young but I didn't get to choose. It really doesn't seem to have bothered him at all except that he never really matured physically in the groin area and still doesn't raise his leg much to pee, even though that's a good thing because his hips are so bad. I would never have bred him even if he wasn't neutered. His backyard breeder background makes it improbable for anyone to want to carry on his lines due to medical issues. Raina, at almost 3 years old, is not spayed but I am planning to spay her in February as soon as she gets through the infection she is now on antibiotics for. I was going to breed her but she has a problem with infections every time she goes through a heat cycle. She gave me a scare with Pyrometra in November but got through that with antibiotics. This last time was too much and now she will be spayed the first week of February. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, he must be neutered in the contract. I would neuter him, contract or not but if it were up to me I would wait until he was 8-12 months but it's not up to me. I just just wondering if neutering did stunt there growth or anything else I should be awarre of. I did my female mutt when she was about 6 months old but she blew up (a bit heavy) even with twice daily walks and trips to the beach and dog park several times a week she remains chubby.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Stunned -

I guess I am just amazed about this question - is there REALLY a question on whether or not to neuter or spay???

I can understand a question on WHEN it is appropriate to do it - but not WHETHER to nor not.

RIGHT NOW on this site in the GSD Rescue Forum - URGENT there are 5 (yes 5) dogs in HIGH kill shelters listed to be killed. Often this is done by gassing - There are more GSD and GSD mixes scheduled to be killed that are not posted on this sight.

Four million cats and dogs—about one every eight seconds—are put down in U.S. shelters each year. (per Humane Society of the United States)

UNLESS you can insure that your dog WILL never get out loose, never come in contact with another dog - PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE have your dog neutered/spayed as soon as your vet recommends!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Not all dogs in shelters are from people that haven't neutered or spayed their dogs.

Alot are from puppy mills and BYB's that are intentionally breeding dogs.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I just got a 4 month old puppy from rescue. He is scheduled to be neutered at the end of feruary. Ive heard conflicting stories about stunting there growth and drastic behovioral chnges....Any information would be great! I had GSD growing up but the males were never neutered.
all i would say is a larger male dog can do some amazing things to get to a neighboring female in heat, so you have to know you will be very vigilant in having a situation where it is impossible, at all times, for him to get to any unaltered female dog.

as far as an earlier neuter resulting in longer legs, the best study ive seen on this indicates an average of a fraction of a centimeter, something many people would never notice. young males tend to have a lanky look anyway, regardless of early neuter or not.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, New Mexico, New York, Nevada, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and West Virginia all require sterilization or a promise to sterilize in order to adopt an animal from a pound, animal shelter, or pet animal rescue. Some of these states require a monetary deposit to ensure future sterilization, and the majority of the states provide for certain exceptions.

Yes...aside from a contract that you are bound to...there are other legalities...and rescues/shelters (at least those in the states above) can lose their license if their animals are not spay/neutered. Many spay/neuter prior to adoption...those that don't have a contract stating it must be done in x number of days (this may vary state by state?) for adults...and for puppies by 6 months....and proof of spay/neuter must be turned into the adopting facility/rescue...so that they in turn have it in their records for the dept. of Ag.

Thank you for rescueing and saving a life!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I waited until my boxer was 9 months old to neuter him. He is sound mentally, and huge for a boxer. All of my dogs are spayed and neutered. I will neuter my puppy when he is about a year old....I also know that waiting until they mature a bit helps them mentally and physically...

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
The unbiased info I've seen strongly indicates that it's healthier, especially for large males, to remain intact. Previously, all of my males were neutered. Djibouti is intact & will remain intact unless there's a compelling reason to neuter him.

This is not a 'one size fits all' issue. IF I had it to do over, I'd still have my Siberian Husky (deceased for many years) neutered b/c 'true' to his breed, he was an incorrigible escape artist for several years. Despite 'Husky/cat' proofing my house & kennel if I got another Sibe, I'd get him neutered b/c I've known of too many that escaped despite escape proofing house & grounds.

Naturally, any breeder, rescue, shelter contracts s/b fully honored. IF the terms are unacceptable, one shouldn't procede with the purchase or adoption.

Although I'd consider a vasectomy or tubal ligation, I doubt I'll ever keep both 'hormonally intact' but 'reproductively neutered' males & females just b/c the pack dynamics can go seriously awry.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Not all dogs in shelters are from people that haven't neutered or spayed their dogs.
I think they are. Please let me know how the dogs came to be if the other dogs in the equation had been spayed or neutered.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts