German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Wow! Thank you all for your replies! Even though I see know that I still have a very tough decision to make, I at least understand a little better. To be more specific about who is pressuring me- it has been the vet, friends and family. I started noticing drops of blood and quickly realized that it was coming for his penis. Got him to the vet who said it could be anything from a bladder infection, to kidney stones, to cancer. Among other things. 😥... She has determined it's not a bladder infection and she physically felt around for a possible swollen prostate which she didnt think it felt swollen at all. And that's as far as the vet has figured out at this point yet she has already suggested I neuter him. And everyone I know who I talked to about it jumps right on board. Thanks to all of you I've decided I will not breed him... but going from 'I dont know' to cutting body parts off my baby is a huge leap I'm not willing to make. I just need to KNOW 100% that it is in his best interest first. Thanks again. You all have given me much to think about. View attachment 569403
He is beautiful!!! I applaud you for wanting to do what is best for him.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Perianal hernia seems to be quite rare.
If being intact is the cause, I can’t find it, at least not in this article.
Nobody knows what causes it. It's almost exclusively seen in intact, male dogs. That's what the board-certified surgeon told me -- he's literally never had to do the surgery on a neutered dog. It's also what's in the article I posted above pointed out.

It may be rare, but I've seen more than one case of it in the vetting that I oversee for the rescue. One died of an infection related to it. A low risk illness is easy to ignore as a mere theoretical possibility, until it's your dog.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Nobody knows what causes it. It's almost exclusively seen in intact, male dogs. That's what the board-certified surgeon told me -- he's literally never had to do the surgery on a neutered dog. It's also what's in the article I posted above pointed out.

It may be rare, but I've seen more than one case of it in the vetting that I oversee for the rescue. One died of an infection related to it. A low risk illness is easy to ignore as a mere theoretical possibility, until it's your dog.
So just to be clear, Magwart, you are advocating for the neutering of all non-breeding dogs with one of the main reasons being the hernia?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Neutering male dogs as "standard procedure" for dogs not meant for breeding purposes is the latest trend. It appears that some veterinarians & dog owners claim that it is best for the animal. I am not convinced this is true so rather than commit an irreversible mistake I have never neutered any of my male dogs and with good training & responsible care I see no reason why it should be done unnecessarily.
IMHO man's tampering with what nature spent millions of years to develop has never been very successful and more often than not, it has been harmful. .

41 - 47 of 47 Posts