German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Raquel. I stumbled upon this site while doing my homework on the topic of neutering or not too as well as breeding. Everyone on here seems very passionate about all GSD which makes me feel comfortable and like I've come to the right place to find answers. I am far from being a professional in any area of the topic. I am a first time GSD owner. I have a 5 year old Male named Zack. He is my whole world but he did not come into my life by my choice. He was a gift from my boyfriend. I always thought I would want to breed him but havent yet and now I'm being pressured to neuter him without clear understand as to why that's necessary. Putting the whole breeding topic aside I want to understand why for Zacks well being is neutering being pushed on me so hard? I just feel that is a big decision for me to make, cutting body parts off another living being, without really understanding why just feels wrong to me but all I want is what's best for my baby... this whole topic has got me pretty emotional but I'm all ears and open minded. If there is any other option other then neutering please let me know...? Thank you.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
It depends on where you live and who you talk to. I live in a huge spay neuter area and have been criticize, ridiculed and called names for keeping my boy intact. If you spend time around dog clubs, you will find more support for your position. It isn’t about breeding, which we don’t usually recommend, but about the health of the dog. I would be more inclined to spay a female than to neuter a male.

·
Super Moderator
7,515 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by other options. Some people decide to neuter to prevent cancer of the testicles which has a higher incidence in senior dogs or for other medical reasons. Other than that it's not necessary.
It's never a good idea to breed dogs without health testing and titling. It's all about improving the breed,not something to do as a pet owner.

Reactions: car2ner

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
It would help if you could explain specifically where the 'pressure to neuter' is coming from.

From your veterinarian for health reasons? If so, why is the vet recommending it?

From a doggie daycare, boarding/kennel facility, dog park, or similar? If that's where the pressure is coming from, some places do have restrictions that require dogs over a certain age (usually around 6 months) to be neutered/spayed in order to prevent problems. You might be able to find some that will allow it and it varies by area you live in. I live in an area where most, if not all, dog parks, daycares, etc require neutering and it's strictly enforced.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
In any case, it's best to wait until at least 2 years of age, for either neutering or spaying.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Who is pressuring you? Family, friends? Or how would others know if your dog is intact?

·
Registered
750 Posts
All my dogs are shelter dogs so they all come neutered. A trip to the shelter to see the unwanted animals is usually enough to make someone understand why neutering is important. But it's a personal decision you have to make. Don't let others make it for you. In your place, I would evaluate the quality of the dog, his pedigree and his DNA before considering breeding him. You didn't indicate where your boyfriend got the pup. Otherwise the are just mutts you have to find a home for or drop off at the shelter and you are a backyard breeder. People don't generally want to pay for a dog that isn't well bred. Other people aren't going to be responsible for the puppies, you are.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
All my dogs are shelter dogs so they all come neutered. A trip to the shelter to see the unwanted animals is usually enough to make someone understand why neutering is important. But it's a personal decision you have to make. Don't let others make it for you. In your place, I would evaluate the quality of the dog, his pedigree and his DNA before considering breeding him. You didn't indicate where your boyfriend got the pup. Otherwise the are just mutts you have to find a home for or drop off at the shelter and you are a backyard breeder. People don't generally want to pay for a dog that isn't well bred. Other people aren't going to be responsible for the puppies, you are.
The overpopulation problem is completely irrelevant to a responsible dog owner. I hate that argument when people judge me for my intact dog. “Look at all the dogs in the shelters!” Yeah... and? My boy will never have the chance to “accidentally” reproduce, so having his testicles removed won’t make a difference.

·
Registered
750 Posts
It's not irrelevant to me- try as I may I cannot give them all homes. Some linger in shelters for years. I don't care whether your fella is intact or not. That's your business. But never say 'never'. When I was a kid we had a large GS named Ceasar. One day a neigbor mentioned he had Ceasar's puppy. Dad was incredulous because he knew the neighbor had a Chihuahua, so the neighbor went and got the dog. It was a tiny little black German Shepherd that at 6 weeks was larger than it's mom. How it happened was unknown, Ceaser was kept in a fenced yard or the house.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
It's not irrelevant to me- try as I may I cannot give them all homes. Some linger in shelters for years. I don't care whether your fella is intact or not. That's your business. But never say 'never'. When I was a kid we had a large GS named Ceasar. One day a neigbor mentioned he had Ceasar's puppy. Dad was incredulous because he knew the neighbor had a Chihuahua, so the neighbor went and got the dog. It was a tiny little black German Shepherd that at 6 weeks was larger than it's mom. How it happened was unknown, Ceaser was kept in a fenced yard or the house.
I'm with Pytheis on this. "Kept in a fenced yard" sounds like an untrained pet dog left unattended in a fenced yard. It's probably not the same level of care, attention and supervision our dogs are getting.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
You don't have to neuter a male if you are not breeding him. His testicles are also important for other functions than producing sperm. Just don't let him near a female in heat, that's all.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Lol. I absolutely can say ‘never.’ My dog is never outside unsupervised, even in a fenced yard. He’s never handled by anyone but me. He’s never around strange dogs, certainly never a female in heat. He will never be boarded at a dog facility, go to daycare, or to a dog park. He’s incredibly well trained and will never run off. How, exactly, is he supposed to breed?

It sounds like you were irresponsible owners. My entire post relied on the fact that the owner of an intact dog/bitch is responsible.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Our male is 8+ years old. He's still intact and will remain so unless there is a medical, life threatening reason for him to be neutered.

He's never outside alone, but never on a leash at home either since he has plenty of room on our property. He doesn't wander, doesn't mark inside or out, isn't aggressive to other dogs or people and is a great dog.

He's never been around a female in heat and I don't expect him to be.

There is just no reason to neuter him. And he will never be bred. He's a pet, not a breeding dog. That's all he needs to be and he's wonderful at being that.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Sounds to me like you are a responsible owner.
There is no reason to neuter unless medically necessary.
I regret neutering my 9-year-old when he was 4.

Reactions: Pawsed

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
A few years ago I looked at studies of the long term side effects of 'neutering' human males. I don't recommend anyone here do it, (don't). I appreciate humans have a longer life span, and some problems experienced in humans wouldn't be evident in dogs. The result, my personal view is, unless medically necessary, I won't neuter any future male dogs.

Reactions: CEMC

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Your neighbor may have had a little black GSD puppy, but it didn't come from your dog breeding a chihuahua! Physically impossible!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts