German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boy is almost one and I have now considered neutering him. As always, he is a very hyper and active dog. Lately he has been humping us and other things, and still tries to show his dominance towards us(when in the end he knows who’s boss) What is your thoughts and experiences on neutering a boy dog at around one year of age? Any changes in behavior?
Please no negative comments

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I neutered Neb (not a GSD) at 18 months because he kept mounting my (spayed) female GSD Teagan. We'd train him not to hump/mount and it would work and then a couple of days later he'd be back at it. She was aggressive (though totally mothered him, but I didn't want to rely on her good will to him) so at 18 months we neutered him.

I'd wanted him to mature as an intact dog, and he did. I don't know enough about how physically mature GSDs are at 12 months but someone else may be able to speak to that.

In any event, neutering Neb solved him humping Teagan. Years later (like 8 or 9 years later he did this) he's humped a few friends' legs (somewhat randomly) and humps his bed if we're carrying it somewhere to move it, but that's it. He's 12 now and other than his bed he has literally humped 2 or 3 times since his neuter.

Reactions: Tuck the GSD

·
Super Moderator
7,269 Posts
i believe this is ultimately a training issue.
while neutering may assist in your training efforts, it will not magically resolve the mounting or dominant behaviors on its own.
if it were my dog, i would attempt to train these behaviors out of him first before they become habitual because then neutering will do absolutely nothing.

i had a dog, non gsd, no dominant behaviors or mounting in regards to adults but would occasionally attempt to mount kids and female dogs - he was neutered at 5yrs and these behaviors continued for some years after. i can't tell you what changed when he finally stopped.

my last two males were neutered at 7 months and 10 months (req'd to adopt) and i didnt experience any of the typical negative side effects / issues commonly mentioned (health, structure, etc).

all of that said, my next male, will either remain intact or be rescued over the age of 2 and have not been previously altered.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Neutered my dog at 18 months (was always the plan, between 18-24 months). We never had a humping problem (only between 10-12 months but mild) so can't tell you on that. The only thing that changed was his appetite, he was super picky before but post-neutering he's been hungry almost all the time.

·
Registered
493 Posts
My intact male turned two last month and has never humped anyone or anything, not even his spayed four year old GSD buddy. Nor has he ever shown dominance over us. Your dog may not change with neutering, it could be in part due to his breeding and or training.

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
The humping behavior is easy to resolve, just distract him and don’t make a big deal of it. I prefer to neuter them at 3 to 4 years old.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts