German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boy is now 2 yrs 3 months old and I know my vet will most likely start talking to me about thinking about getting him neutered. I love my vet and we talk very openly about everything. He was my rock when my female ended up with mammary cancer at 2 1/2 yrs old. We both studied and shared what we had found. Unfortunately we could not save her and I lost her (and a big chunk of my heart) just past her 3rd birthday.

My boy has had issues with his anal glands 2x now and has had them expressed and put on antibiotics. He eats both prey model raw and Honest Kitchen. Various proteins, elk, venison, turkey, chicken, beef, pork, duck. Unfortunately I cannot get him to touch fish unless it is in kibble form. I also use Glandex regularly and K9 Feedsentials (sporadically, not very good about giving that consistantly :-( ) I also try and keep his butt clean. Some days he has no odor, or staining, other days he has staining. And he also strains when relieving himself.

In my quest to decide if I should or shouldn't neuter him I found a couple of articles that said Perianal Fistula is more prevalent in intact dogs (both male and female). I am really confused at this point as to whether I should have him neutered. Most of my research has suggested that "not" neutering is best for the overall health of the dog. Now I read this and I am wondering If I SHOULD get him neutered.

Quote below! Any thoughts on this subject?

"Is there any sex or age predisposition?

No. Adult dogs of either sex can become victims of the disease, although there appears to be a higher prevalence of the disease in non-neutered animals of either sex. It is most commonly diagnosed in dogs over seven years of age."

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I would suggest you talk to your vet and ask if there is a chance that his condition will improve if he is neutered.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts