German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted my 2yr old(Kaiser) about a month ago. Had him neutered 2wks ago. 4-5 days after surgery, his scrotum was swollen enough to appear as if he was never fixed. Vet gave me anti-inflamatory meds and they did the trick. But now, a week later, it's starting to look swollen again. Anyone else experience this? Vet is suggesting 2nd surgery to remove entire scrotum.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Poor baby, hopefully he's feeling better now...

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I have seen this happen in adult males that get neutered. It is so painful! The best you can do is keep him quiet, ice it if he'll let you, and wait. I would hold off on the scrotum surgery until it's a last option.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Happened to my adult male, when he decided to make a mad dash around the yard after neutering:( two words ICE PACKS,,and I would also hold off on the scrotum surgery unless absolutely necessary..

Sometimes the vet can also aspirate (remove the fluid) if necessary

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going in for a 2nd opinion on monday. He doesn't seem to have any discomfort so far, and isn't disturbed if I touch affected area. New vet is suggesting warm compresses for next couple days til appointment.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
He may have a blood vessel reopening and bleeding. It gets absorbed after a while. One of my fosters had his scrotum swollen to the size of a large grapefruit and purple after the surgery. The vet would not admit to the bleeding, she said it was inflammation. It took weeks for it to return to "normal".

It is probably not something serious with your boy, probably on and off bleeding from one of the damaged blood vessels.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good news--- I've limited Kaiser's activity over last few days. He's not a fan of the compresses though. The swelling is starting to go down. Scrotum is still swollen, but nowhere near as bad as originally.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took Kaiser in for 2nd opinion. The new Vet said it's in Kaiser's best interest to remove the scrotum. No signs of infection, but shouldn't be this level of swelling and discomfort 2-3 wks post surgery.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
My foster was horribly swollen for two weeks and less swollen for 4 weeks.
The activity might have caused the blood vessel to bleed.

I am not sure if another surgery is a good idea. There can be swelling, bleeding and complications from that one as well. What was the vet's explanation regarding the cause of the swelling. It is a good idea to diagnose as opposed to just cut. They sent mine home with scrotum of the size of the grapefruit as if it were nothing unusual. They said it could not be bleeding, which is not true. One of the members here had his dog chew through the stitches and a lot of clotted blood discharged through the hole.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
New Vet referred to it as "Severe Scrotal Hematoma" after routine castration. Then explained that scrotal ablation(total removal) is standard treatment when this condition occurs. Not for the swelling, but for the dogs extreme level of discomfort. I researched, and everything I found, supports that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts