German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I picked up Sam from the pound on June 2 with kennel cough, so he wasn't neutered. He is now over the kennel cough and has gained a healthy amount of weight. I believe he would be able to handle the surgery better now. Appointment is tomorrow.

Tell me please about aftercare?

I have an inflatable collar.

Vet said to crate him... he has had the run of the house since the second day I brought him home. How about just in my bedroom?

Is he not to move at ALL? He's seven. How still does he really need to be for two weeks? I know the vets have to say very still but I think we all know that's impossible.

I work full time, but a pet sitter comes during the day to let him out and to give him lunch.

Oh and for those who remember my previous posts... he's still perfect :) :)

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just confine him to your bedroom where he can't do zoomies. Walk him on lead so he can't run around for at least 3 days, maybe more just check his incision. No jumping or running up and down stairs. He'll be fine. I usually restricted the males only one day after surgery, the females for 3 with a watchful eye on antics. Your guy being older, you may need to give it the extra time I mentioned. You may see some redness at the incision site, normal for day one or so, now swelling should be present. Hopefully there will be sutures and not glue. The scrotum may have swelling, but if it looks reddish or purple, call your vet, may be a bleed. It's not a terribly complicated or invasive surgery. He will be fine, you will be fine and the shelter will be very happy that you complied.

So glad he's doing well and that you are loving him.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If he isn't messing with the incision, you won't have to use it. I never have used one, even with the girls.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I suppose the shelter forces you to neuter him. I'm not all that keen on neutering male GSDs. Most people do not let them roam the neighborhood. And it is the bitches that have the puppies. If one dog can't get to her another one will. It's spaying that reduces the unwanted dog population. Maybe you could get him a vasectomy instead. It's really a little nothing of an operation.

One time the local pound got a hold of my very soft, timid, shy, male Russian Wolfhound Ivan Putski. They would not let me bail him out unless I had him neutered. I said I did not want him neutered at their pound surgical assembly line. I happened to know they did not even change their surgical gloves, they washed their hands with them on and neutered the next animal. Nasty places, some of these pounds. When actually I did not want him neutered at all. Ivan was such a timid, shy dog he needed every micromillimeter of testosterone his testicles could possibly produce or he would have just caved in. So they issued me a paper that had to be signed by the neutering vet. I took him to my vets and got him a vasectomy. The vet signed the paper and wrote Sterilized. Ivan kept his family jewels.

Reactions: Aly

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you both! I just called about the vasectomy and the person who answered the phone said neutering should be easier... but I will ask the vet tomorrow when I see her.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
His prostate was enlarged but smooth, so they feel good about it reducing now that he’s been neutered.

He’s home, peed and pooped, he’s had a drink, and I just gave him 1/4 cup of food and pain meds. No vomiting.

The paperwork says normal feeding tomorrow but can I feed him more tonight? Maybe another half cup?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
If he's still hungry, I would give 1/4 cup more. Then if he is seems hungry, in about an hour later, give another 1/4 cup. That should be enough for tonight.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More questions! Sorry...

Does a vasectomy reduce the size of the prostate like neutering does?

I asked the vet if they could do a vasectomy instead and she said they dont do them there..

They want him to stay on tramadol and ravalo (sp?). For a week. He’s acting like nothing is wrong at all.

Do I keep him on pain meds the entire week? I know to keep him on them for a few does for sure, but a week? Not as needed?

Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
More questions! Sorry...

Does a vasectomy reduce the size of the prostate like neutering does?

I asked the vet if they could do a vasectomy instead and she said they dont do them there..

They want him to stay on tramadol and ravalo (sp?). For a week. He’s acting like nothing is wrong at all.

Do I keep him on pain meds the entire week? I know to keep him on them for a few does for sure, but a week? Not as needed?

Thanks!
No vasectomy is not going to help with an enlarged prostate. The neuter will take away the testosterone...the lower level of testosterone will help shrink an enlarged prostate. If the dog is from a shelter he should be neutered, forget about trying to find a vet to do a vasectomy on a 7 year old shelter dog. I fostered many dogs that were neutered by our rescue that were anywhere from 1 to 11 years of age. Most of them were a bit sore the first or second day, and after that it was hard to keep them quiet. It's not much of a surgery for a male dog...much more evasive on a female dog. Pain meds for the first couple of days...and that's about it. The cone of shame may not be needed at all...if you can watch him. I've never needed to use one on any of my own dogs, or foster dogs. Our vet uses surgical glue....they don't seem to bother with the incision when it's used.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts