German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 y/o male went in on Wednesday for a neuter. He was sore when I picked him up. I gave him his Rimadyl and thought all would be good. He did not eat or drink that night. He has been very unsettled since then.
Yesterday he ate breakfast and gave him another Rimadyl. Last night he vomited 9 times. Alot of bile and everything came up. He is also drinking alot of water and that also came up. So I cut everything out. Hoping to settle his stomach. No more Rimadyl thinking that could be the cause. He still is very unsettled. I dont think he has slept in 2 days. I will be calling the vet this morning. Anybody else experience this?

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
I think maybe it's a case of the bigger they are the harder they fall? But I have not seen such a strong reaction to any kind of surgery-even open heart-so I am glad you are calling the vet today. Has he had anesthesia ever before? Some people have strong reactions and take a long time to clear it (my dad was one of those people) and each of my dogs have varying responses in terms of how long it takes to clear. Or it could be something else-let us know what the vet says. I hope he's feeling better soon and you both can get some rest.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Check the area of the neuter. Is he swollen? If so, a bag of frozen peas would make a great ice pack for the area.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
My 3yo foster was pertty sick for a week after surgery and vomited for two days. His sacks were horribly swollen - of the size of a grapefruit - and purple. It took almost 2 weeks for the swelling to go down. After that the sacks were hard and blue. The vet said there was not much we could do. We applied warm packing (not cold) and gave him some Rymadil.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
the sacs are not suppose to be swollen. If they are then there is a bleeder or was a bleeder and this is from the bleeding. The blood will be reabsorbed into the body in time.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
The vet told us that is was not fluid (blood or lymphatic fluid), she said it was the swelling of the tissue itself. I also thought that it must be blood, but it is not, according to the vet.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
If you have a healthfood store close by, get the homeopathic remedy Nux vomica 30c and give him 3 pellets. This helps counteract the side effects of the anaesthesia (even the rimadyl) and helps with the nausea. You can also buy the homeopathic arnica to promote healing and prevent infection.
Poor boy- Hope he is better soon

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
RebelGSD, I am going to disagree with your Vet. I have had two large males neutered.

The first had major swelling like you are talking about, the dog didn't like the pressure and chewed out just a few stitches, I don't want to gross anyone out but there were blood clots the size of ping-pong balls coming out. Once it drained the swelling went down within one day. I kept the opening clean and just let it heal on it's own.

The second one was 4 years old when he was neutered, I iced it down for two days, there was minimal swelling, no black, clue or purple.

Anestesia and Rimadyl can both cause stomach upset. I would go with a bland diet for a few days, no Rimadyl on an empty tummy.

Also since it is more than a few days, alternate the warm and cold packs, 20 cold, 20 rest, 20 warm, 20 rest. The difference in the warm and cold with cause a pumping action in the tissue to help get rid of built up fluids.

What did the Vet say?

Val

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I'm with Val on this,,,I had my male done at almost 3 years of age,,suffice it to say,,two days after, his sac area was bigger than prior to neutering,,very uncomfortable for him..

I was told by the vet,,the older the dog sometimes they don't get all the vessels tied off, and if they get to much exercise or whatever,,the sac can fill up with fluids/blood...Dodge's area was aspirated some, plus we did the ice pak /heat as Val explained,,it helped immensely..

The sac area itself should not be swollen after surgery,, It shoudl look like a shriveled up prune, for lack of a better description.if so ,,i'd go with the icepak/hot routine (but definately tell your vet)..

And I'm also with the rimadyl, and anesthia after effects could very well have upset his stomache...

Good luck
diane

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Val, thanks for the input, this was my feeling too (sad that the vets cannot provide better information). The sack was huge and purple when we picked him up from the hospital (he spent the night after the surgery at the hospital) and they have seen it. Recommended the warm packs only. I asked the vet if they can drain the fluid to make him more comfortable and she kept insisting that it is not fluid but tissue swelling. I don't think there is enough tissue there to swell to that size (15 times the original volume?). I have seen maybe 100+ dogs neutered and never this size of the sack.
He was also vomiting at the hospital but they let him go home without any special instructions for that.
I often get better information here than from the vet. It is good to get it somewhere though. I am a little frustrated, poor guy was quite sick and uncomfortable for a week.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
RebelGSD, I am sorry that your guy had to be so uncomfortable. The only way IMHO that I know for sure waht causes that much swelling is my guy chewed out a few stitches and well lets just say Y U K. But the swelling went down and he was much more comfortable.

The Vet I have now is just such a nice lady. They make the Techs sit in the kennel with the dogs and ice them down after surgery. Well it was a new Vet Tech and she had never met my boy Lakota, she tought the rest of the staff were setting her up to be eaten by the HUGE (105 lbs) GSD. But she soon discovered that he is a sweety.

Rebel, did I miss a post when you guy was having so much swelling from the nuter surgery. If I did I am very very sorry.

Val

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
It was the 4th response to the OP. My foster Leo is doing much better two plus weeks after surgery. The swelling is gone but now the bruised sack is dark blue/black and hard. It is going through the usual changes of a heavy bruise, we just feel so bad and sorry for him. He looked and felt totally pitiful when we got him home.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Rebel even now use the warm and cold packs, it will help the tissue relax and contract which will help get rid of that gunk in the tissue. I am sure you guy is still a bit sore. Also I think some Vets are a little more gentle causing less brusing and bleeding.

Val

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Thanks, will do that. I feel guilty for putting him through this, it is the rescue requirement. I have never seen such bad swelling.

He is our miracle guy. He came to the shelter with a horrible skin infection, had no hair from the shoulders down and his skin was black, something like the NC female in the rescue section. The shelter would not put him up for adoption because of his skin condition. He kept licking my hand through the kennel door and cried when I was leaving - I just could not let him die. I two months he grew a brand new coat and has the sweetest personality. We felt bad seeing him sick after the surgery.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He had a temp and infection. Off the Rimadyl and on antibiotics. I believe the Rimadyl was causing the stomach upset. He still is not settled but doing better. Thanks for all input. I would have never thought of having all these issues. I also think he did not do well getting put under. Well now I know. They also put him on anti vomit pills and a bland canned diet.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He is still in pain but I put him back on Rimadyl for it. Evidently the vomiting was from being put under. He is more focused now which is nice to know he isnt consumed by the pain. Thanks for asking!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts