German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jake has been going to the vet at PetSmart for his basic puppy care while I found the right vet, well through the grapevine I was referred to a vet about 45 minutes from me, she has tons of experience with the breed. Yesterday I made an appointment for her to meet Jake and I and get her opinions on him and her philosophies. The vet at PetSmart says neuter at 6 months and the other vet said wait to a year, if not a tad longer if I can. I find this whole subject mesmerizing. Why is it so hard for there to be a better timeline then that? Six months to at least a year is quite the range. I have read countless posts and find I am chasing my own tail.....can everyone weigh in? Those of you who neutered EARLY and those who WAITED?

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I just got Sinister neutered eactly 2 weeks ago he is 15 months old.

He is 27 1/2 at the shoulders and he weighed in at 77 pounds.

·
Registered
954 Posts
We neutered early. Ace got the snip at 6 months. Vet suggested and we took her advice. I think this is a black and white subject. Don't seem to find much gray...
MY BF has a problem with male dogs that go around marking every thing in site. Ace is 17 months and he still doesn't raise his leg. Not sure if the neuter did that or not....

·
Registered
514 Posts
My breeder has in her contract for limited reg. to alter at 8-12 months for males. Everything I read indicates waiting at least a year if you can.

Now, I still don't know how long to wait since one testicle never dropped. That is another topic I would guess.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I never had a problem with Sinister marking, I didn't have any aggression issues or behavioral issues with him either.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I read that it is best to wait until a dog is physically mature, around 2 years. I read that the removal of hormones before a dog is done growing can cause harm to it's bones and increase it's chances of getting bone cancer, esp larger breeds. I am going to wait to neuter my GSD pup until he is 2 years. Perhaps someone else has found some useful information? Google "dangers of neutering too young" and see if you get any good info. Overall, what I read stated that for males, waiting until physically mature or not neutering at all is safer in regards to percentages of cancers, disease, etc. than it would be to neuter. Do alot of reserach and make the decision that is right by you!

This article helped me make my decision: http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf good luck!

·
Registered
69 Posts
This is not, IMO, a topic about aggression or marking. Yes, if your dog is aggressive, neutering might be something to consider as part of the solution, but it's not a solution by itself. For what it's worth, my intact male at 8 years old still rarely lifts his leg (and he's been bred). My three year old neutered dog marks everything. If you talk to enough people you can find every permutation.

Early neutering is for me, a health issue. Now, first and foremost if you can't control your dog and keep him from breeding, then neuter as soon as you can. But if you can and are willing to guarantee a dog will never be bred accidently, I am a firm believer in waiting until at least two years old.

Here's why: Nature gave dogs hormones for more reasons than breeding. They are used to help a dog grow and mature the way he's supposed to. Dogs (especially males) neutered young do tend to grow taller and lankier than males allowed to grow naturally. I've seen it over and over, especially with males. I can pick them out usually. In addition to growing taller and thiner, this leads to increase risk of things like ACL and CCL tears. I know many people who have had soft tissue injuries on dogs neutered young. Of course it happens on intact dogs too, but I find there is an increased risk with early spay/neuter.

I will also add that the earlier you spay/neuter, the bigger an issue this is. If someone wants to neuter at a year (as opposed to the two years I prefer) I don't think that makes much of a difference. If someone neuters at 8 weeks (yes people do) as opposed to 2 years, the difference is much bigger.

The following article has probably been posted many times but it's one I find to be accurate in terms of what I observe: Canine Sports Productions: Early Spay-Neuter Considerations for the Canine Athlete

I should add that for my personal dogs, I have decided I will never neuter another male unless I have a medical reason to do so. What my dog went through when he was neutered was not worth it to me.

Tracie
www.atlaskennels.com

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
If you neuter before they are mature, there is a chance that he won't grow proportionately because the testosterone isn't being released. Have you ever seen a male GSD with a small head or feminine looking? It's because he was neutered too early. It also increses the risk of bone cancer and bone diseases if large breed dogs are neutered before maturity. I had a male GSD that was never neutered. He didn't wander, showed no marking behavior in the house, and was never aggressive. He lived until he was 12 years old. I don't plan on neutering Wolfie either.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I have to make that decision myself. Lakota is 5 months now. I just recently met a vet, a young woman who believes in early spay/nueter, mainly for cancer issues. Lakota looks so tiny to me, compared to my big 125lb babies, I couldn't imagine getting her spayed now. Apache my male was just over a year & Kiya was about 20 months old. I am opting toward waiting till the 1 year mark. With all the info out ther I feel that you gather all the information you can then make what you feel is the best decission for you & your pet.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
this is not, imo, a topic about aggression or marking. Yes, if your dog is aggressive, neutering might be something to consider as part of the solution, but it's not a solution by itself. For what it's worth, my intact male at 8 years old still rarely lifts his leg (and he's been bred). My three year old neutered dog marks everything. If you talk to enough people you can find every permutation.

Early neutering is for me, a health issue. Now, first and foremost if you can't control your dog and keep him from breeding, then neuter as soon as you can. But if you can and are willing to guarantee a dog will never be bred accidently, i am a firm believer in waiting until at least two years old.

Here's why: Nature gave dogs hormones for more reasons than breeding. They are used to help a dog grow and mature the way he's supposed to. Dogs (especially males) neutered young do tend to grow taller and lankier than males allowed to grow naturally. I've seen it over and over, especially with males. I can pick them out usually. In addition to growing taller and thiner, this leads to increase risk of things like acl and ccl tears. I know many people who have had soft tissue injuries on dogs neutered young. Of course it happens on intact dogs too, but i find there is an increased risk with early spay/neuter.

I will also add that the earlier you spay/neuter, the bigger an issue this is. If someone wants to neuter at a year (as opposed to the two years i prefer) i don't think that makes much of a difference. If someone neuters at 8 weeks (yes people do) as opposed to 2 years, the difference is much bigger.

The following article has probably been posted many times but it's one i find to be accurate in terms of what i observe: canine sports productions: Early spay-neuter considerations for the canine athlete

i should add that for my personal dogs, i have decided i will never neuter another male unless i have a medical reason to do so. What my dog went through when he was neutered was not worth it to me.

Tracie
www.atlaskennels.com
above is your answer spelled out perfectly.
Wait at least until 1 year closer to 2 if you can.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I think it's really all about you and how much male dog you can handle. I personally, have always ended up being the clear alpha and have had no problem waiting 12 to 18 months. If there are issues starting to occur with dominance, humping, marking, etc. and it's difficult for you to deal with, 6 months is probably right. You ultimately want a great dog that YOU can handle well. I like to let the full musculature and physique blossom, but I would never put that ahead of having a dog that I KNOW I can enjoy. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I say neuter at 1 1/2. Its right in between.lol.

It is really up to the owner and the dog.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I say neuter at 1 1/2. Its right in between.lol.

It is really up to the owner and the dog.
Right on. She's been having some fairly frustrating issues with Jake already and it just might (maybe) be appropriate to do it earlier in this case. A sweet dog that is settled down can be a best choice for some people, even if it means early neutering.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Right on. She's been having some fairly frustrating issues with Jake already and it just might (maybe) be appropriate to do it earlier in this case. A sweet dog that is settled down can be a best choice for some people, even if it means early neutering.
Tanner was already neutered when we adopted him. He doesn't mark in the house, but he marks when go on walks. He is protective of our home and the kids across the street. We are thinking he was neutered around 1 1/2 to 2 years, because he looks fully matured. He just acts like a baby sometimes.lol

·
2,967 Posts
I have yet to neuter any of my dogs. So far no one marks in the house. Cade at 15 months still doesn't lift his leg. I've never had any problems with dominance and myself although I have seen dominant male-dominant male aggression develop especially when my female is in heat.

I don't know...I think it's pretty easy to manage most behaviors that I would assosicate with neutering and neutering your dog certainly doesn't free you from concern about beahvior problems. Plenty of neutered dogs still mark, hump, dominate, because it's a function of their personality. You knwo all those puppy tests we do when your puppy is little?? Well those tests indicate personality. If you got a dominate, aggressive puppy...neutering won't change that. If you got a quiet laid back submissive puppy...leaving them intact really won't change that either.

Also I don't really take much stock in vets who advocate spay neuter at 6 months...that's sort of the standard line for vets and you also need to consider that your Vet was at Banfield. Not necessarily knocking your vet, but I know people who have worked there and they are very tied by regulations. It is a business associated with a corporation and then have checklists for things that they are to recommend and do if at all possible. The vet I knew who worked there compared to being a 911 operator- you follow a flow chart. What's wrong? Flip to Page 12 and do #1-5, Did that work? No? Go to page 9. A vet who says, you know I would rather wait to have your money for the surgery when it's healthier for the dog...is more my kind of vet.

I agree that if I was going to neuter I would wait until min. 1 year...but I would prefer 2yrs. But I also agree that neutering really isn't about the dog. It's about you and what you can handle. If you are in over your head, taking hormones out of the equation can give you a little less to have to contend with. Many dogs are fixed early and live long healthy lives. So it's up to you.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
But I also agree that neutering really isn't about the dog. It's about you and what you can handle. If you are in over your head, taking hormones out of the equation can give you a little less to have to contend with. Many dogs are fixed early and live long healthy lives. So it's up to you.
That part!

·
Registered
585 Posts
i know with my dachshunds when we decided to get out of breeding, my male and female that i had fixed were 5 years old and they did pretty good, valley gained alot of weight but she also like to eat, and river actually became more aggressive, but we later found out that he had started havin back trouble....
But with my shepherds, i had ryder neutered at 6 months (probaly should have waited) he had a retained testicle, but had it done anyway. With ace we actually had him done at like 4.5 months bcause he was humping everything in site. He was an awful humper...once we had him fixed he didn't do it again...With Sophie we are having her spayed this weekend while we are out of town, well she will be spayed monday...
I personally don't believe in the whole i want them to have a litter b4 we spay because its better for them....or the whole let them reach their full maturity.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
My breeder has in her contract for limited reg. to alter at 8-12 months for males. Everything I read indicates waiting at least a year if you can.

Now, I still don't know how long to wait since one testicle never dropped. That is another topic I would guess.
My personal preference is not to neuter before a dog's 18 to 24 months old at the earliest. In fact, I think a vasectomy is the way to go.

As far as dogs with a retained testicle, I've been told you can wait up to 2 years before getting him neutered, but I would definitely have the retained testicle removed by 2 to avoid the chance of it becoming cancerous.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts