German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I like to hear from anyone who has neutered their male dogs at the age of 6 months.
Pros? Cons?
I鈥檓 looking for actual experience not recommendations.
Thanks so much!!!馃槉

Registered
I personally haven't had dogs who were neutered at that young age but had many in my classes. Their legs were lengthy so they grew taller than they should have. no muscle tone, bad coats in the longer haired dogs, under developed genitals (could barely see a penis) and a feminine look. It's a shame that the shelters neuter them so young, sometimes as young as 8 weeks. Does this sound convincing on why it's better to wait?

Registered
I neutered my shiba at 6 months. I regret it. Knowing what I know now vs back then, I would have waited until he was two. We were talked into a puppy plan when we got him and talked into neutering him at 6 months. I do think part of my decision was based on him having an undescended testicle. Even then, I could have waited

Registered
No males only females.

They were typically leggier. One female had incontinence, proven to be caused by early spay.

The other female had HD, torn ACL and died of hemangio. All 3 have a higher incidence in dogs who are spayed or neutered early.

Both females were more dominant regardless of early spay. They would mark and they would Assert themselves by posturing.

As far as marking in males, my male is intact. I can say thst marking is a training issue.

Registered
We have a male that was neutered at 6 months. He is now nearing 9, is oversized and his weight has always been a struggle to keep him from being absolutely obese. In spite of his being 20 pounds heavier than our younger dog, he can eat only maybe 2/3 as much to keep him anywhere near an acceptable weight. Needless to say, he isn't very happy with that situation.

He seems healthy, but he doesn't have the enthusiasm of our younger dog and never has, and would gladly lie around all day if he were allowed to do so. He is too passive, which is fine if you want a couch potato, but not if you want an active companion, as these dogs should be.

We also had a female who was spayed very young. She was diagnosed with the worst hips that our vet had ever seen and died at the grand old age of 3 from hemangio.

I have learned from our mistakes and would recommend that no one make the same ones that we made. It's awful that our dogs had to pay the price for our bad decisions. I can see no advantage to routine neutering and our younger dog will not be neutered unless there is some medical reason that it would be necessary.

Registered
What do you think were the negatives to getting your Shiba neutered so young?
Namely, depriving him of the hormones for half of his growth period.

He is very tall for a Shiba (about 19-20" although this could be because of where I got him) and disproportionate. If he wasn't overweight, he would definitely look odd with super long legs. He did start packing on the pounds after his neuter as well. I cannot say for sure if he has luxating patella or HD, but he can be very reluctant to go up and down stairs or jump up on the bed/in the car (different story if I have food in my hand.) I do mean to take him in to have this checked. I know there is some correlation between hormones and HD. I am aware excess weight can play a factor in this as well.

His attitude did not change - he has such a great temperament for a Shiba Inu that I have considered making him a therapy dog for a children's hospital or wing of hospital. He absolutely adores children.

Registered
We have a male that was neutered at 6 months. He is now nearing 9, is oversized and his weight has always been a struggle to keep him from being absolutely obese. In spite of his being 20 pounds heavier than our younger dog, he can eat only maybe 2/3 as much to keep him anywhere near an acceptable weight. Needless to say, he isn't very happy with that situation.

He seems healthy, but he doesn't have the enthusiasm of our younger dog and never has, and would gladly lie around all day if he were allowed to do so. He is too passive, which is fine if you want a couch potato, but not if you want an active companion, as these dogs should be.

We also had a female who was spayed very young. She was diagnosed with the worst hips that our vet had ever seen and died at the grand old age of 3 from hemangio.

I have learned from our mistakes and would recommend that no one make the same ones that we made. I can see no advantage to routine neutering and our younger dog will not be neutered unless there is some medical reason that it would be necessary.
My Shiba would sell his soul to lay around the house and sleep all day.

Registered
I created a threat on neutering not long ago, it got into long discussions. Based on a lot of discussions with experienced people and my vet, I'm gonna wait until my boy is 3 or even 4 years old.

Registered
I created a threat on neutering not long ago, it got into long discussions. Based on a lot of discussions with experienced people and my vet, I'm gonna wait until my boy is 3 or even 4 years old.
If you made it that far why would you neuter him then?

Registered
Wolfy dog I think you asked the exact same question on my thread. And like I said before, it's a personal choice and I've come to that conclusion based on what I make off of the opinions of my vet and some people. Even though that's the current plan, decision won't be final until then.

Registered
Wolfy dog I think you asked the exact same question on my thread. And like I said before, it's a personal choice and I've come to that conclusion based on what I make off of the opinions of my vet and some people. Even though that's the current plan, decision won't be final until then.
Sorry. I don't go back often to other threads. Can hardly find them actually.

Registered
Why neuter a male GSD at all? It doesn't cut down on unwanted litters. If a bitch is available some street dog will get to her. Intact male behaviours, these are training issues. I can't imagine why someone would want to do that to a GSD. Unless there is a medical reason, why do it? I've had 5 male dogs in my life and 7 bitches. None were neutered and never produced a single litter. All had great dispositions with no problems. People in Europe hardly ever neuter their male dogs.

Registered
Always neutered my dogs at six months. Never had any issues until they were older and arthritic. Not sure that is a result of neutering. There are studies out there saying not neutering will increase lifespan. Methinks we should do our research and then decide.

Banned
Nuetering my dog was a condition of sale from his breeder.
A red-flag for a breeder in my opinion. Most breeders actually do understand the need for hormones, and if they do not trust someone to make appropriate decisions for their dog, and use appropriate management, they do not sell them the dog.

Registered
We've had many, many, many dogs in that age range that were neutered in rescue. They grew up to be happy and healthy.

Registered
Were any long legged, lacked muscularity and male sex characteristics, low energy, fat? I saw a poor creature of a Doberman in a feed store. It did not even look like a Doberman. Tiny nearly invisible penis, thin like a Borzoi, legs like a giraffe, timid. No thank you.

Registered
Were any long legged, lacked muscularity and male sex characteristics, low energy, fat? I saw a poor creature of a Doberman in a feed store. It did not even look like a Doberman. Tiny nearly invisible penis, thin like a Borzoi, legs like a giraffe, timid. No thank you.
Okay, how do you know that this wasn't poor breeding? How can you for a fact say it was all because of the early neuter? Actually, you don't even know when he was neutered. It could have been after 2 years. Did you ask?

Dobermans are a breed that are rarely bred well. They are in demand, and many people breed poor examples just to make money. They have a plethora of health issues and have to have a lot of health tests done on breeding stock. I was discussing hypothyroidism with a doberman owner, and she said it is not a matter of if your doberman will get hypothyroidism, but when. Even the best bred, carefully chosen, titled parents produce dogs with hypo. Often.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts