German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received this email from a friend...would appreciate any suggestions..imput. Thanks, M.A.

"Hey guys...so, my aunt's 13 yo GSD is having some neuro issues. My aunt thought she had a stroke (she kept her head tilted at a strange angle, and she was experiencing severe weakness in hind legs). Took her to the vet -- no stroke, but said may be vertigo or could be some other kind of neuro issue. They gave my aunt meds, and she has to bring Callie back in a few weeks. She's getting better -- no more head tilting, but still very weak in her legs.

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys know of any/heard of any holistic stuff that might have helped in similar situations. She just lost Callie's sister last year (pretty sure b/c of the tainted food -- it happened at the very beginning of all that brouhaha), and she's understandably pretty worried about Callie now, so any input you have would be great."

·
Registered
15,220 Posts
Sounds like vestibular disease. Can affect really young puppies and seniors. Especially when you mentioned the head tilt. Classic sign.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you...it certainly sounds like vestibular disease.....

This is certainly something I bring up to the vet!

if this is the case......there is really nothing that the owner can do themselves...other than accomodate them eating wise (i.e. if they aren't feeling well...do what it takes to get food and liquids in them)...and let them rest?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Let her rest, Mary Ann. Some come out of this and some do not. Just had a boarder this weekend who still has the head tilt. Have her get a belly band for around her tummy so she can steady her when she is walking. she should do fine.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My friend wanted to thank you all for your advice! Callie is doing much better

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Thanks for the update Mary Ann, glad to hear Callie is doing better

1 - 7 of 7 Posts