German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 12wk old rescue pup is very calm and submissive. He has practically no training. I have only begun housebreaking him using the crate. But sometimes if I might sudden or even slight movements he backs off or walks away with his head hanging. He has only been in my house for over 24 hours now, I realize it's a new environment, new people, and new rules.

I just want to know what to do to make the change easier for him. I feel like I shouldn't start doing engagement/obedience training, I could be wrong though. I'm in new waters here, seeing as this is my first dog.

Also, I'm having a tough time housebreaking him. I have caught him peeing in the house twice, I don't know how or if I'm supposed to correct him when I catch him. I know that when I don't catch him I don't do anything. Any recommendations/advice? I really would like him to whimper and/or go to the back door to let me know he has to go.

·
Registered
906 Posts
It's good that your not screaming your head off at him or rubbing it in his nose. As soon as you catch him peeing or pooping..pick him in mid pee or mid poop and bring him outside and let him finish. If he finishes...make a big deal out of it for him so he feels good about himself and will want to do that more outside. If you don't catch him while he's doing it, you cant really do anything about it. Keep taking him outside every hour or two. My mom has her dog trained with a bell...when she was potty training him, she hooked a bell to the door and everytime they would take him outside to pee, they would ring the bell. Now he just runs up to the bell and bats it with his nose :) He's prob very scared being in a new surrounding and will take time to warm up!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I would give him time to adjust before trying to do any training with him. Just the basics right now(housebreaking). As suggested just pick him up and take him outside and when he goes praise him like crazy!! Make it positive. I would not worry about him going to the door right now just try focusing on getting him adjusted to his new enviroment.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
It's good that your not screaming your head off at him or rubbing it in his nose. As soon as you catch him peeing or pooping..pick him in mid pee or mid poop and bring him outside and let him finish. If he finishes...make a big deal out of it for him so he feels good about himself and will want to do that more outside. If you don't catch him while he's doing it, you cant really do anything about it. Keep taking him outside every hour or two. My mom has her dog trained with a bell...when she was potty training him, she hooked a bell to the door and everytime they would take him outside to pee, they would ring the bell. Now he just runs up to the bell and bats it with his nose :) He's prob very scared being in a new surrounding and will take time to warm up!
The bell is a cute idea!

·
Registered
682 Posts
As everyone else is saying, give him time to adjust. You said he has only been in the house for over 24hrs? That is not enough time to housebreak him, be patient. You should make sure he is on a leash in the house or in the crate so you can keep your eye on him at every second, if his head is down and he's sniffing the ground, odds are he will go or has to go. Relax and have fun with him.

·
5,627 Posts
Get into a routine with him as soon as possible.

Take him outside every hour. Make every time he goes potty outside a party. WHILE he is going say "yes, good potty" in a super happy and fun voice. Lots of petting and treats when he's done.

If you catch him going in the house, make a noise (eh eh) to startle and stop him (don't say no) and take him outside quickly. Have a party when he's finished going.

I would be doing lots of short sessions of training and walks. These provide structure for the dog and help to form your bond. The sooner you start training, the better behaved he will be. Look up NILIF and start doing that.

Congrats on the new pup!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
All good advice- you might want to walk around dropping little treats on the floor without looking at him or talking to him, just so he knows all good things come from you. You also might want to hand feed some of his food. It won't take too long for him to get comfortable and take it slow for now. Congrat on the new pup, what's his name?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the good info! NILIF looks very interesting, I like the approach. I actually think he is starting to understand that if he goes outside and potties, then he gets love and treats. He has been real good not to potty in his crate, I tried to make it as comfortable as possible in there for him. Nice bed, and some toys and a chew bone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts