German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im really scared to leave my dog at the vet on monday.
I know this isnt a question, but I cried today because of it.
I see his face when I leave for second to start my car & its heartbreaking.
Will he think Im leaving him forever????
Can I ask them to sedate him while Im standing there??
Sorry.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Why is he going in?
A hint....
Most of the support staff isn't there for the money!

I'm a certified tech and believe me, the pay sucks.
Why do I stay?
I love what I do.
I would love your dog. He would be nervous but find a friend to attach to. He would wonder where you were, and then he would get a sedative, get nice and sleepy, feel peaceful, and before he knew what was happening, you'd be there to pick him up!

On that note...... The longest separation I have ever expirenced with a dog was Sika, who walked into my house 2 years later and picked up her life the same night, like no time had gone by!

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Why would he need to be sedated?

I do understand how you feel. I left my 12 year old dog at the vet's office for two full days (very foreign to me) and I cried for most of those two days. She was elated to see me and when I took her back for a checkup, she had to be practically dragged back there; I know she thought I was leaving her again. One thing I had to keep telling myself is that I was doing it out of love and she had to have surgery. She knows that I was only helping her. Before her surgery she had become lame (her back leg) and now she can run, jump, and play again. I would do it again.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He has an enlarged salivary gland.
They had him on anti botics for 2 weeks & it went down.
But now its starting to swell up.
So they have to get some bloodwork done.
They MIGHT have to sedate him.
Im just nervous.
I hope he doesnt have to go through surgery!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally Posted By: BJDimockWhy is he going in?
A hint....
Most of the support staff isn't there for the money!

I'm a certified tech and believe me, the pay sucks.
Why do I stay?
I love what I do.
I would love your dog. He would be nervous but find a friend to attach to. He would wonder where you were, and then he would get a sedative, get nice and sleepy, feel peaceful, and before he knew what was happening, you'd be there to pick him up!

On that note...... The longest separation I have ever expirenced with a dog was Sika, who walked into my house 2 years later and picked up her life the same night, like no time had gone by!
REALLY? 2 years? I bet you were SOO HAPPY!

I just feel horrible leaving him.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Has he been to the vet before? I know dumb question. Just, I have a vet tech where Angeles goes and she just loves him and he her. So that keeps him calm and then he enjoys the visit and is more willing to follow her around.

I hope all is okay with your babe. I know the heartbreaking feeling as well!

EDIT - you were answering while I posted!

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I wouldn't worry to much,,Susie M, is the greatest:))) are you using her?

If they are just going to do bloodwork, they shouldn't have to sedate him. Further testing they might.

He'll be fine,,we worry more than our dogs, he'll be happy when you come to get him and won't remember you left him there:)))

Let us know how he makes out! Will keeping good thoughts for him!

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
2 weeks ago Karlo had to go stay w/ the vet for a cystlike owie at the base of his tongue. It had been there for about 2+ months and grew a bit, so I opted to have it removed.
I was the one to put him in that loud metal crate at the vet. He was reluctant to go in, but he was ok when I left. I hated leaving him too and would have liked to be w/him while they sedated him. I would have trimmed his nails while he was under, too! Should have asked them to do it...
I picked him up 3 hrs later, and he was fine! Luckily they brought him out of the antesthia very quickly, so he wasn't the least bit loopy.
I did have his growth sent to a lab, to be safe and the results came back clear. Just scar tissue from a puncture.

What was funny was, while he was there, we had our first real snow, 3" in 3hrs, (Karlo had never seen snow) He wouldn't pee in it.
Came home, he barked at the slider, I ignored it as I didn't want him rompin around. He pee'd on the floor!!
He has only had about 3 accidents since 8 weeks old, so I was a bit shocked! Not his fault at all, I didn't pay attention to his bark.
Kilo will be fine, they are very stoic, even though they are our babies!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally Posted By: JakodaCD OAI wouldn't worry to much,,Susie M, is the greatest:))) are you using her?

If they are just going to do bloodwork, they shouldn't have to sedate him. Further testing they might.

He'll be fine,,we worry more than our dogs, he'll be happy when you come to get him and won't remember you left him there:)))

Let us know how he makes out! Will keeping good thoughts for him!
THANKS so much!!!!!
I have Dr Andre Thouin.
Hes really nice too!
So is susan!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
they are both great! I'm sure Kilo will be just fine,,it's us who are nervous nellies;)))

Hey get ready for the snow, I hear it's coming! UGH!! dog will love it, I hate it !

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Lakota loves the Vet's office. He would be fine if I took him there once an week and dropped him off. The staff all spoil the big boy and he likes it there. If we just go in for a check up or shots he stands and whines by the door to the back, he wants to go back and say HI and get his loveies. So the Vet asks me every time if he can go back and say Hi, what is a dog owner to do???

I know it is normal to worry, but make it a fun outing for your pup and it will pay you back 100 fold over the years.

Val

·
Registered
305 Posts
As another posted we worry more than our dogs and since they don’t know whats coming they can’t dwell on it prior. Try to stay positive and think more about the image of you picking him up when the vet makes him all better (rather than thinking about dropping him off)

But know how you feel I remember my first shepherd was an abandoned dog and when I handed the leash to the vet tech to have her spayed she looked back at me with big sad eyes like “Are you leaving me too??” I felt sooo bad and promised her we would never leave her!!

Hope all goes well with the tests Mon!

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Sara, Just think what was going thru her mind when you picked her up! She knew then, that you would always be there for her.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I think we worry so much more about our dogs because we do everything for them...we feed them, exercise them, sleep with them, everything and they look to us for everything--then here we are, feeling like we're "dumping" them off to another's care for something we can't do for them! It's soooo frustrating!

He'll be fine, when I dropped Anna off for her spay, the tech took the leash and she happily went off with her. I think I was so hurt by that cause I expected her to be like "NOOOOO Don't take me away from MOMMY!" but she was fine. But it was worth it to see her so happy to see me when I picked her up. It sucks, but they know we'll be back for them!

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Sometimes, though, vet techs are not loving and kind. They are intimidated by certain breeds or burned out, so we feel vulnerable leaving our beloved pets with a person who we do not know....we wouldn't leave a child, we would stay, sit in a waiting room if we couldn't hold their hand.
That is why it is hard to leave a dog that cannot speak for themselves. We have to trust that the vet, and their employees will do right by that trust.
I can trust my vet all day long, but the employees are not as accessible, so it leaves me with a rock in my gut til I get to pick up my pup.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I TOTALLY competly trust the staff there. There is only about 4 vet techs & 3 vets. They all LOVE Keys and have known him since a pup.
They are all very kind. They have also let me have a "bill me later" kind of thing.
I just lost my job & its great that they understand I dont have 1,000s of dollars in my pockets.

I just feel bad bc I dont want him to think "Where is she going? Why is she leaving me here?"
I know things will be ok, I just hate the fact of leaving him there, all by himself.
Thanks everyone for the kind words & reassurance!
Hopefully the tests go good & they can drain his gland without having to operate on it.
THANKS AGAIN everyone.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally Posted By: JakodaCD OAthey are both great! I'm sure Kilo will be just fine,,it's us who are nervous nellies;)))

Hey get ready for the snow, I hear it's coming! UGH!! dog will love it, I hate it !

IM EXCITED! ARE YOU!??

LOL!

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Angel R, are you having the contents of the swelling sent to a lab for analysis? I would, just in case. It would be worth the extra $ to have your mind at ease with the reason for it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I liked the behind the scenes vet tech feedback from BJDimock above

When my guy was in for spinal surgery it was the vet techs that made the whole experience extremely positive and were so kind when we went for our hospital visits. We would bring donuts and cookies for them and when we picked him up to bring him home made a big candy jar with pics of our shepherds on it to thank them for their care of our loved one. Vet techs are so underpaid and many are there only for their love and devotion of animals as BJ noted--like Jane said I think many get burnt out and some aren't treated very well by mgt (I know one said her boss told her she was being too nice to the clients--sheesh)

Angel the bloodwork shouldn't take long at all - this will all be more painful for you then your boy and this is all good because its a step towards making him well and healing him!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts