German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with a dog that has been diagnosed with having a nerve sheath tumor?
My boy Bahstun showed signs of ataxia (incoordination in the rear), and through various diagnostics Finally diagnosed the tumor based at the lumbrosacral junction.
Without the use of the MRI he was being thought as to having DM, even at 5 years of age.
Currently we are just doing physical therapy techniques to maintain rear muscle strength- underwater treadmill, sit to stand exercises.
No progression noticeably since his diagnosis in March or April.

Catherine

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
So sorry to hear about Bahstun's diagnosis. I've never heard of nerve sheath tumors until I read your message. Wishing you my best!!!

For those of you like me who have never heard of this condition, I found this link that explains it in simple English: Nerve Sheath Tumor in Dogs | petMD

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for the links.
Unfortunately Bahstun's is located around the spinal cord, and surgery was guarded even by a boarded surgeon and neurologist :-(.
Both hind limbs are affected, we didn't want to risk losing function for a surgery that would most likely not be successful.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hopefully so, thanks for the links. I will read through them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts