German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have neighbors that seem to feel that watching dogs fight through a fence is some kind of fun thing to do.

My 100' run of fence on the alley has a 2 foot tall and 2 foot wide embankment that these dogs have to jump up to in order to fence fight with my dog.

I have two neighbors that never pull their dogs down from running that line with my dog, yet they yell at my dog and not their own. The one that just caused all heck to break loose is the third time for this labradoodle and it's 400lb woman owner that though we are in a very busy part of the city chooses to walk her dog unleashed.

This dog has escaped her yard twice and she has very poor control over it. When it first came after my dog I asked her to restrain her dog (get it away from my fence line) she called but it totally ignored her. I explained I didn't want through the fence contact as my puppy had not completed her shots yet. She yelled at me that my puppy should have finished her shots by now and called me a bad owner. My pup was only 15 weeks old at the time.....

I think the next time this happens I will let the hose do my talking with both dogs and maybe her - if necessary.:)

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Stonevintage,

Hope I don't read about you in the Coeur d'Alene Press but I do like the idea of "accidently" watering her down a wee bit:D

SuperG

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I'm so sorry and I totally feel your pain sadly, so frustrating when dealing with uncaring people

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha! Hose it is. SuperG it could end up on the front page of the Press. Today's front page news included bowling scores lol - I love this weird little city.:laugh:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Lol @ the hose. If you want to be sneaky about it, install some sort of sprinklers by the fence and just turn them on remotely whenever she's walking by your house. Even if you and your dog are inside.

Pros:
-Train her like a dog! If you keep walking by, you're going to get sprayed. If you walk on the other side of the street, you won't!
-It also prevents you having to deal with having a confrontation with an idiot. Debates and discussions are great...just not when you're talking to a brick wall.
-Your dog may end up like playing in the sprinkler. Easy entertainment.

Cons:
-More expensive than just using the hose.
-Requires setting up.
-Your dog may end up like playing in the sprinkler. Wet doggy hugs.

If other dogs and people become a frequent problem, you could install a second fence with an 18 inch gap between the two as a buffer. The grass in between can be an issue, though. Maybe remove grass and add fill rocks? The double fence would be tedious to do, but may be worth it long term if a lot of dogs start doing the same thing as hers.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
For the original description I thought there was a second buffer fence.

I've heard of motion activated sprinklers being used when wandering/feral cats are bothering indoor cats. I'd put those inside the buffer fence and set them to activate when the fence is approached.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts