German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was very happy for my neighbors who just got a dog after wanting one for several years. It's an adorable little 4 month old male papillon. Soldier got out the door the puppy's first day with them (I wasn't home) and went after the puppy, who was leashed by the neighbor's teenage daughter. He didn't bite it but was chasing and snapping the air the way he does when he herds another one of my dogs. My husband ran out and tackled Soldier. The puppy and my neighbors were terrified. The neighbor dad told my husband that he "wanted my dog dead" after it happened. My suggestion was for us to walk the dogs together (on leash of course) so Soldier can get over his "attack" or whatever mode, and their puppy can get over his fear. They are too afraid to do this!

Soldier is a pushy, high drive puppy at now almost 12 months. He takes a very firm hand, and doesn't listen well to anyone but me. He's not overly popular with the neighborhood kids because of his temperment, though he doesn't jump up or growl. He will nip to herd if children run in the house. Soldier has a very strong prey drive. He is really great off leash, as long as I tell him no BEFORE he starts chasing an animal. So I have to be hyper vigilant with him and usually don't let him off leash unless I have a good view of our surroundings. If I see an animal, and he sees it and I say "no" he'll listen. If he starts the chase, he stops hearing me. He has never injured any animal, but I know it's certainly within the realm of the possible that he could kill a small dog. He's okay with some small dogs (the ones who don't show fear), but if any dog shows fear, he will immediately corner it and dominate.

We have an invisible fence in our yard that we've had for years, all our dogs before Soldier were reliably trained on it. But, it broke and we haven't had it fixed so Soldier hasn't been trained on it. We put him out on a tie out. So, the first order of business is to get the fence fixed. My husband just lost his job, so now is not a great time for that expense, but it seems urgent now. My neighbor called me the next day, wanting to "coordinate" when to walk her dog so Soldier wouldn't be outside barking and scaring her dog. *Sigh* (Well, he's never out for long, and when he does bark outside, we do go out immediately and hush him up, so he isn't out there barking his head off.)

Advice to make this situation with my neighbor better?

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
the only advice I can give, is to be VERY VERY Vigilant with Soldier.

Unfortunately the neighbors now are going to be on high alert and one little slip up by Soldier, they are most likely going to be all over it:(

My sister has two papillons, her two are bulldogs in a small package, they are not afraid of ANYTHING, (which is going to get them into trouble someday:) certainly not the 'norm' I would say..

Masi grew up with one of them, they all get along great , but those paps like to tease her, so to get back at them, when we are out hiking or whatever, Masi will charge them and put the breaks on just before any contact is made:))

My sister gets rather paranoid,she thinks masi will accidently hurt one, because face it, a 70 some pound dog vs a 12 pound dog is really no match. We are always supervising.

Anyhow, I would try the walking together thing again , see if they'll go for it..If anything happens no matter who started it, it's always going to be the gsd at fault, so you have your work cut out for you in keeping a tight rein on Soldier.

Good luck hope it works out

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I agree, see if they'll go for a walk or a trip to a park, someplace where there are distractions. And I'd bake some cupcakes or brownies, bring over some baby pictures of Soldier and have a visit so they'll see that he's not a Papilion eating monster and you're interested in their little baby and its' safety and well being

·
Registered
485 Posts
I would be very careful with the e-fence, since the main trouble with them is that they don't keep critters out. If their puppy happened to get out there's nothing stopping it from wandering into your yard, which could end in a less desirable manner.

Small dogs are tricky for us too - Kokoda is good once she figures out they're dogs, but the ones that run away are a lot like squeaky toys! I agree with the previous posters - definitely approach them about the walk again, because they can both get over it! I've never laughed so hard at my girl as when she spent half an hour being chased through the woods by a mini daschund! She had a ball - and this is a dog she had previously been constantly trying to pick up by the scruff because it squeaked.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Wasn't there a story here not too long ago where a GSD ran though the e-fence and killed a poodle? The poodle was actually trespassing and the GSD chased it home. I think the GSD was put down because that was the law.

If your dog's prey drive is that strong, I'd get a trainer in there to work on this.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i wish i had something for you. I agree with getting a trainer in there that may be able to help with the prey drive but i definitely wouldnt allow Soldier out without serious supervision. your neighbors have it in for him instead of listening. I personally think they're overreacting as you're the experienced dog owner and know ways that may help the two dogs to be okay with each other. Plus you're guy is still a pup as well.

they do know that GSDs are a herding breed correct? That may help to know.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, this little problem is solved. The wife told me that her husband (very tightly wound guy) "couldn't adjust to the disruption in his routine" so they gave the dog back to the breeder this morning. Poor Wife and Daughter are soooo disappointed, they wanted a dog for so long. It was the perfect dog for them, too, and I'm sure we could have worked it out between Soldier and their little dog.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Sorry for the wife, daughter and dog but if the guy is that anal about stuff you might have had a lot of problems!

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I know your husband just lost his job and I'm sorry, but a tie-out is a really bad idea for a dog like Soldier, even for short times. Being tied makes a dog more aggressive and territorial because it's frustrating.

I'd either rig up some sort of pen or take him out on a leash to do his business until you can get a fence built.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We had our Invisible Fence repaired this morning. Training starts today. We can't have a physical fence.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts