German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone :)
My family and I moved a few months back into an acre lot that is fenced (4 ft chain link) off all around our home that sits in the center of the property.
After moving in, we got a female German Shepherd puppy. She is now almost 4 1/2 months old. She is a great dog outside of the usual puppy issues and is training very well.
My question is that our neighbors (at the back and sides) seem unable to keep their hands off of her and pet her over the fence. She loves it and so does my Pug dog. Anyway my concern is that she will become 'friendly' at the fence line or start to climb, jump or dig out to get to them. I really don't want her to be "friendly" to people at the fence. I don't want a mean dog but I did get her to not only be our pet but to be some protection for us and our boys ages 6 and 4.
Do I allow this to continue? Should I talk to them about petting her? Will she grow and start to bark when people approach the property? Will she distinguish between known neighbors and a stranger?
As of now she is barking but then they call her and she becomes friendly and goes to them.
Should I be concerned? :confused:
Thanks for your help.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
My last Shepherd was never "friendly" at the fence and never trusted anyone unless I or my husband was around. We inherited her after our a friend of ours passes away and she was already grown. She was my eyes and ears and I loved it. If someone came up to the property she would give a good warning bark and I loved it. I suffer from deafness in one ear and hearing loss in the other so I appreciate a good set of ears :) My son also suffers hearing loss as well.
I stay at home with the boys all day and home school them while daddy is gone at work.
I'm not wanting a guard dog that is a nuisance but a watch dog to let me know someone is near and look a bit more intimidating than my Pug while doing it. :D
Thanks for your input ")

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I suppose it just makes me nervous because I really just moved in this house a month or so ago and really don't know my neighbors too well yet. I'm friendly with them but I wouldn't say that I'm tight with them like in my old neighborhood. Hopefully in time that will change. They seem nice and just wanting to pet a cute Shepherd puppy. I understand that. But it's not something that I myself would do without asking the owner first or have them present. I just don't know them too well yet and it kind of bugs me.
I do realized some folks don't have the same boundaries as I do ;)
I do feel better about it after hearing some input on here.
Thanks so much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.