German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a GSD named Kona 1 year 3 months old. She is a big baby though and usually scared or shy of people outside and when they come over.

I live in a condo, and I have a new neighbor with a small pomerainian and a small yorkie. They are both extremely aggressive and bark at us all the time. She always walks them off leash, letting them run free and do their thing in the grass and yard that we all share. Whenever we go outside they run up to my wife and i and it irritates us. But, while walking my dog, she lets her dogs run up to her and it scares the crap out of Kona, and she tries to run and flails on the leash and the lady wont do anything about it, even though she knows my dog is pretty shy and scared of things like that.
That made me mad and i talked to the office about it and they were very understanding and sent out a letter telling her she needs to always have her dogs on leashes, especially being in a small neighborhood like this.

A month later, it is still happening, and the lady is mad at us and yells at us and purposely lets her dogs run out the door barking at us whenever she sees us outside, sometimes it is very abrupt and scares us, for example at night. Its getting very irritating and was wondering what i can do about it. We have a law in the county i live in that dogs cannot be off a leash.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I would call AC and report her. you can do it anonymously I believe.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Well, it doesn't matter if it's anonymous or not. Her neighbor will still know. But you should either call them or give her fair warning and tell her that if she doesn't control her dogs, you will call animal control.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Try speaking to her again. This is a neighbor, better to be friends then not. In the meantime, find out what your leash laws are and what the condo policies are regarding leashing pets. If speaking to her still doesn't work, send in writing a complaint to the property management, follow it with a complaint to AC about loose dogs. Document EVERYTHING.

The biggest concern is your girl. From your description, it appears she is in a flight state and on leash. It may come a time she decides fight is better then flight. If the little dogs are injured, your dog may be blamed. Keep yourself between her and the little dogs. If any way possible walk a different way to avoid the little dogs. For me, I would be tempted to carry spray for the little barkers.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Try speaking to her again. This is a neighbor, better to be friends then not.
True. I would probably give her another shot as nicely as I could WITH a warning that if she won't correct her behavior, you will take this further, to not only the apartment this time, but to animal control. She needs to know that she will not get away with it.

Also, she'll probably make excuses due to their size, but you know what? Leash laws don't have size requirements.

·
Registered
431 Posts
A month later, it is still happening, and the lady is mad at us and yells at us and purposely lets her dogs run out the door barking at us whenever she sees us outside,

I agree you might want to try talking to her, but based on this I think talking probably won't do you much good.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
True. I would probably give her another shot as nicely as I could WITH a warning that if she won't correct her behavior, you will take this further, to not only the apartment this time, but to animal control. She needs to know that she will not get away with it.

Also, she'll probably make excuses due to their size, but you know what? Leash laws don't have size requirements.

I like the last part. I may borrow that and use it if you dont mind :)

Some things i failed to add to the posting to keep it somewhat short is that she doesnt like us. We have been sweet to her and she has been very nasty because she doesnt like it here. Hates the neighborhood, hates florida, and seems to hate everyone around her, so trying to settle it civilly is out of the question. I actually think shes doing it on purpose to try and get kicked out.
Also, she lives right under me, so there isnt too much i can do to avoid her.

I will submit a letter in writing and start writing everything down, and probably start calling AC every time they bother us from here on out.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Do not speak to your neighbor directly. Contact your HOA mgt again, have them send out another letter. Make sure your rules and regulations have something that says dogs must be on leashes. If it does, then they may be able to be fined if it continues after the second letter. If you have no rules, then go to a HOA meeting and request that be put on. Be patient, with associations it seems like everything takes forever to resolve. I know, we live in a condo also. From my past experience I find it best that these issues are handled threw a 3rd party.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
The biggest concern is your girl. From your description, it appears she is in a flight state and on leash. It may come a time she decides fight is better then flight. If the little dogs are injured, your dog may be blamed. Keep yourself between her and the little dogs. If any way possible walk a different way to avoid the little dogs. For me, I would be tempted to carry spray for the little barkers.
I'm with you. Some people think it's funny when the little dog acts tough. Well, it's funny right up until the point where the big dog gets sick of it and/or perceives a real threat given it doesn't have the chance to avoid the confrontation.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Talking to her may help,but I doubt it will. She has already made it clear that she doesn't care,and it seems like now she just wants to be spiteful. I would just call AC at this point. She should be glad that she has neighbors who are trying to be so nice about the situation.I'm sure if it were YOUR DOG, things would be a lot different.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I guess my question is that when you said a common yard area for the dogs, is it fenced in? Is it on private property? I would think that if its on private property animal control will not get involved and it will be up to the property owner or management to enforce the leash laws.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I would get a can of pepper spray/bear spray, whatever is legal in your state and when the little ankle biters come running out and get close enough , spray them..
You are protecting yourself from getting bit and from them attacking your dog. If she calls the cops, she can explain why her little monsters are off leash so they could get close enough for you to spray them.
Also, carry your phone or camera on your walks, start taking pictures as soon as they are let out of the door, that way you have proof.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I would get a can of pepper spray/bear spray, whatever is legal in your state and when the little ankle biters come running out and get close enough , spray them..
You are protecting yourself from getting bit and from them attacking your dog. If she calls the cops, she can explain why her little monsters are off leash so they could get close enough for you to spray them.
Also, carry your phone or camera on your walks, start taking pictures as soon as they are let out of the door, that way you have proof.
This would work if its a public area, but not if its private. I'm guessing that if its a private property, the police would probably get involved on the side of the person with the dogs that got sprayed. This is not happening when the OP walks the dogs, but when they are in a common yard area for the dogs, that I am assuming is on the property of where they live.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
This would work if its a public area, but not if its private. I'm guessing that if its a private property, the police would probably get involved on the side of the person with the dogs that got sprayed. This is not happening when the OP walks the dogs, but when they are in a common yard area for the dogs, that I am assuming is on the property of where they live.

That would depend on where she lives, but where I live the same laws would apply. She is purposely and knowingly letting her dogs loose to antagonize people/dogs. Here that would get her into trouble.

The best case would be to call a lawyer (most do free consultations and/or a few questions over the phone) and ask them how it is in the OP's area.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
As the OP stated in his original post, management has already sent a letter to the neighbor. So it would be appropriate to assume there are association rules involved. AC would get involved public or private property if there is a threatening dog involved.

Spray would be the thing to use. Plus side is there is already a paper trail regarding this.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
That would depend on where she lives, but where I live the same laws would apply. She is purposely and knowingly letting her dogs loose to antagonize people/dogs. Here that would get her into trouble.

The best case would be to call a lawyer (most do free consultations and/or a few questions over the phone) and ask them how it is in the OP's area.

I agree, I think that this will turn into a civil case. I know that where I live and if this situation was happening both the police and animal control would tell us that it is either going to fall on the property management or a civil suit.

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
Since she is now doing this on purpose and escalating, I would report to management one more time and I would start carrying a camera on me to video these dogs and the owner during each incident.

"Smile...you are on candid camera"

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I agree, I think that this will turn into a civil case. I know that where I live and if this situation was happening both the police and animal control would tell us that it is either going to fall on the property management or a civil suit.

*nods* here she would get citations for having a nuisance dog and not keeping them under control since its a shared area. Unless the dog actually bit someone that's about all they would do though, just keep upping the fines and say take it to court. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts