German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wandering what I should do?
My Neighbors dog is a mix breed, I think maybe lab and pit, not sure.
It is a frendly dog, never been agressive to me, my dog or children.
However they dont really take care of it. They let it run around the neighborhood unleashed, no collar, nobody with it.
The dog doesnt bother me, the neighbor will see it running around me when I am walking Lily and come yell at it to leave us alone. I have told her that he doesnt bother me and asked if she wanted to walk with us. She said no, its not her "job" to watch the dog, her kids wanted it and now they havent taught it anything so its stupid, she cant even walk it on a leash. :confused:
He will come up to my fence when my dog is outside and sometimes he brings her gifts, its kinda sweet. Once he brought her a stuffed animal and scooted it under the fence for her to have. :wub: Lol my dog has a bf.
Now to the bad part, my neighbor on the other side is very angry about the dog. She has asked her to keep it leashed or in her home many times. I have also mentioned to her that it scares me with him running around so close to a busy road only two streets over.
Well it seems that the dog is creating hate and discontent. My neighbor says that it comes into her yard and tares up everything, lawn chairs, digs holes, chewed the water hose, just pretty much makes a mess out of her back yard. She tells me that her husband is so tired of it that he is ready to poison the dog or put it in his truck and take it up to the mountain and shoot it.:cry: I told her that she cant let that happen, its not the dogs fault. I dont know what to do. I dont want to see him killed. I know the neighbor wont put him up because she is mad at even having to have the dog in the first place. I cant take him in. He doesn't bother me because all my property is fenced so he cant get into my yard to do damage. I guess I could try to talk to the lady again and tell her people are getting upset and I am scared for her dog? Do I call the animal shelter? I dont like shelters but thats better than being poisoned. I dont know what to do. :help:

·
Registered
885 Posts
Not sure how it works where you are, but here is what I would do:

Grab the dog (since its considered "at large"), call animal control to come pick up the dog. Let them know that if the owners don't claim him, you will come get him. Its $65 to spring the dog here if its the first time. There is NO WAY that owner is going to claim that dog.

While the dog is at animal control (usually they hold it for 72 hours - 7 days to see if someone will claim it), you can contact rescues in your area to see if they can take the dog on. Explain the situation. Also, you may be able to network through other dog people someone willing to take this dog on. From the sounds of it, it is a nice dog who just needs some structure, rules, to be taught what the expectations are and to be engaged with on a regular basis.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I would be very leery about deliberately placing it in the shelter, the chances of it coming back out again are very slim

I would start with talking to the owner of the dog again and mention that you would be willing to help rehome the dog. Contact some rescues and find a few goods ones with spots open and the information ready in advance to give to the owner if they seem willing to listen. Offer to pay any fee the rescue requires if that helps seal the deal. Dogs aren't cheap to keep and feed even with just the basic needs being met. Be careful to keep it very non-confrontational

Hopefully the chance to get rid of the dog and not have to pay anything will be enough to at least have them consider surrendering it. A good rescue will be doing careful screening so you can trust they'll find a good appropriate home for the dog

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Personally I'd let Animal Control handle the problem ... either you call them or tell the other neighbor to file a complaint. You shouldn't have to live like this even if it's not the dog's fault that he has jerks for owners.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I agree with Shade. I would start by talking with the neighbor who owns the dog and offer to help her rehome the dog...and then follow through.

I'd be scared the dog wouldn't make it back out of the shelter, too. And, also, when it comes to neighbors, I am a firm believer in starting with open conversation before getting the authorities of any kind involved...even animal control. That can just start a fued. Even if she doesn't want the dog, you run the risk of being the neighbor who had the (irresponsible) kid (who visits once a year)'s dog taken away.. Yikes.

You're genuinely concerned for the dog's welfare. If you can share that without coming across as judgmental, I bet you will succeed.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you decide to do!

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Please do not send the dog to a shelter (e.g., by involving animal control) unless you have a plan to get it back out -- Shade is right. In many shelters in the United States a pit mix will be euthed the instant its mandated hold period is up (as little as 48 hours in some places).

If the dog is as sweet as you say, I would tell her about the problem, and offer to help her rehome it and "foster" it as long as it takes to do so, to help her. (I would offer to let her kids can come visit, as long as it's fostered too). A dog that shoved a stuffed animal under a fence as a gift would be a dog I'd go the extra mile to help.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Magwart: You are right about him being the kinda dog I want to help and when I seen him do that it melted my heart. Lily nicely picked it up and tossed it in the air and then they spent a minute or two running side by side around the yard with the fence between them. So sweet.

I did speak with the owner today and she pretty much told me she doesnt care and hopes that something happens to it so she can teach her kids a lesson. :mad:
The long and short of it is she has a 3, 5 and 11 year old who were complaining about her not letting them have a dog at her house and since the Dad has dogs at his house she felt like they were making her out to be the bad guy. Whatever.:confused: So to show them she got a dog but told them they have to do everything with it and she wasnt gonna touch it. Well the 11 year old is mostly at his dads so its just the two little ones. I dont know what to do. :cry:
The little girl will be in the front yard playing with the dog and if a car goes by it will take off after the car. She stands in the front yard yelling "spot come back" and crying. its all so so so sad.
I want to take the dog, just take it and find a friend who lives in the country to take it either foster or perm. Then on the other hand I dont wanna take those sweet little kids dog away because it seems like sometimes its the only bright good thing they have over there. :help:
This whole thing is just heart breaking and I have been searching my mind trying to figure out a solution. I asked my neighbor to give me time to see if I can find something to do with the dog and to keep her husband away from it.
So thats where I am in this mess, I know its not my place to meddle in other peoples business but its so hard not to try to help these kids and the dog. :(

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ask her to sign the dog over to you? then you can find it a good home or keep it. In the mean time you can train it a bit so it might be easier to place. It is certainly a tough situation. I am probably on the side of having animal control be involved however. Check with the shelters in your area to see what their policy is with pit mixes. In my area there is at least one no kill shelter regardless of breed. Good luck.

·
Registered
31,708 Posts
I did speak with the owner today and she pretty much told me she doesnt care and hopes that something happens to it so she can teach her kids a lesson. :mad:
There's a candidate for Mom of the Year award if I ever saw one.

I can't believe someone would be so stupid and mean as to get a dog, expect young children to properly care for it and hope something happens to break their hearts. What kind of person purposely hurts their children. :(

The long and short of it is she has a 3, 5 and 11 year old who were complaining about her not letting them have a dog at her house and since the Dad has dogs at his house she felt like they were making her out to be the bad guy. Whatever.:confused: So to show them she got a dog but told them they have to do everything with it and she wasnt gonna touch it. Well the 11 year old is mostly at his dads so its just the two little ones. I dont know what to do. :cry:
The little girl will be in the front yard playing with the dog and if a car goes by it will take off after the car. She stands in the front yard yelling "spot come back" and crying. its all so so so sad.
I want to take the dog, just take it and find a friend who lives in the country to take it either foster or perm. Then on the other hand I don't wanna take those sweet little kids dog away because it seems like sometimes its the only bright good thing they have over there. :help:
I wonder if the ex husband would take it?

Would the mother have an issue with you working with the kids (11 and 5) to train the dog?

I would be concerned that the young child would chase the dog into the street and get hit. So many horror scenarios for this situation.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
No she wont give it to the ex. Thats how I got the whole story about the dad having a dog and the kids wanting one at her house. I asked that question first.
She wont let me work with them either, already asked that, she doesnt want anyone helping them because its up to them(alone) to care for the dog. Apparently they havent even gotten shots for it yet because the kids were suppose to do work around the neighborhood to earn money for the vet bills.:rolleyes: THAT I can help with, I have snow to shovel for the bigger kid and I can always use help with laundry and washing dishes from the two little ones and sometimes Lily can be a real handful and I might need help training her in basic commands like sit, down,stay and how to walk on a leash.;) If they learn how to train a dog by helping me with mine, then I guess they could do it on their own with their dog.:cool:
She did say she was going to tell them about people being upset with the dog, and this morning when I took my kids to school, It was tied up in the yard. Its safe from the cars that way but it also is in the cold. its 29 here and we have really deep snow and more falling. So if they help me around the house(lol) I guess I do have an old dog house that I was looking to replace that they could earn for their dog. Its a little to small for Lily :D
Plus my 14 yr old will be happy that she doesnt have to shovel the walks. LOL!

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Dogs allowed to roam irk me just about as badly as anything can. Personally that dog would have been loaded up and taken to a foster/perm home far away. Depending on the animal control, though, I'd take him there. My SPCA gives dogs a pretty fair chance, vet care, and will fine the owner if they show.

What is the standard procedure for owner surrenders and strays there?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dogs allowed to roam irk me just about as badly as anything can. Personally that dog would have been loaded up and taken to a foster/perm home far away. Depending on the animal control, though, I'd take him there. My SPCA gives dogs a pretty fair chance, vet care, and will fine the owner if they show.

What is the standard procedure for owner surrenders and strays there?
Strays=If ac sees them they try to pick them up(sometimes) If they are taken into the shelter they are given a few days for a owner to pick them up, then they are not available for adoption for 30 days, then once they are available for adoption they have a week to get adopted or they PTS. Owner surrender have a 30 day wait and then a week for adoption also.
I used to volunteer at the shelter its an ok shelter but its really sad. Nobody else wants to volunteer there because they are a kill shelter. I figured those dogs need love too and I would walk and play with them, never seen anyone else there doing that, they were so crazed for attention when I would take them out of the tiny cage they were in that it was really hard to do much with them.
We have a no kill shelter here but it is always full and no way to get a dog in there. I already checked the day that my neighbor told me what her husband was thinking.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Perhaps you can arrange something out of the area. A foster, or a rescue, or even new home.

I do not consider it stealing a dog if they do not care if it lives or dies, and it's loose on public property, posing a threat and a nuisance to people and animals.

·
Registered
10,361 Posts
I think I would ask her to sign the dog over to me, train him and find it a good home. In the meantime the kids could see how responsible you are and hopefully remember this alternative to their "mother".
Just keep fingers crossed they won't adopt a new dog.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Perhaps you can arrange something out of the area. A foster, or a rescue, or even new home.

I do not consider it stealing a dog if they do not care if it lives or dies, and it's loose on public property, posing a threat and a nuisance to people and animals.
I have really struggled with this and it has crossed my mind, and its still an option.
I think about my kids and how upset they would be if one of our animals just went missing. Thats where the struggle comes in. I get the impression(I could be wrong because I dont live there) that these kids need a friend. Its pretty sad.
I dont want to go against what the mom said. I think I can work within her rules to help the dog and the kids. If that doesnt work out then I can look at the other option.
Yes people who let their dogs run loose make me angry too. In this case though I think its just because they are to young and dont understand. Of course mom isnt gonna help at all. :rolleyes: I dont know anyone who gets a dog for kids this young and just leaves everything up to them. My kids call our dogs "their's" but I do most of the actual work involved. As it should be, I am the adult and its my responsabilty.
I think I could really help the kiddos out too. Not to long ago (last summer) there was a big deal over there with dfs and cops. They came to my house asking questions about the kids and things. Since then the older one is hardly ever there. i dont know the story but I want to help. Maybe having the kids over here helping with chores will give Mom a break too.
I dont know I might be totally wrong here but as a mom its really tearing at my heartstrings. If it wasnt for the kids, yeah I would take that dog to one of my friends who live in the country and really love thier animals.
This is something that I have really been racking my mind about the past few days.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Oh I do feel for the kids. But eventually they're going to see their dog get mangled by a car, fight with another dog, shot by someone, taken by animal control. Something even more traumatizing than just disappearing.

Or, you could talk your neighbor into letting you help the kids be more responsible. Starting with a dog house, a sturdy tether system or escape-proof kennel, and walking, training, etc.

Sounds like she's a right bitch though, so that might not be possible.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh I do feel for the kids. But eventually they're going to see their dog get mangled by a car, fight with another dog, shot by someone, taken by animal control. Something even more traumatizing than just disappearing.

Or, you could talk your neighbor into letting you help the kids be more responsible. Starting with a dog house, a sturdy tether system or escape-proof kennel, and walking, training, etc.

Sounds like she's a right bitch though, so that might not be possible.
Yeah thats kinda my first plan. I have all those things, dog house, good tether even a dog run. I am gonna have them work. so they can earn them for their dog, I dont really need it. My dog is trained and mostly inside. They are very small kids so I figure helping load some clothes into the washer , or do some dishes. whatever. I really dont care about them working its just a rule from the mom. The older one can shovel some snow. I am gonna have them help me "train" Lily because she so unruely I cant do it alone.;) Since she wont let me help them train their dog. So they can kinda learn how to do it and use what they learn on their dog. I do have a really good tether and collar and a dog house, I will give them first. Then after a few days of "working" I will have my vet give some shots and take a look at him.
She wont let me give the dog a ride to the vet. So I think Lily's blowing to much coat out all at once, I might have to have him come take a look at her and while hes at my house he can just look at their dog too. :rofl:

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
It sounds like a good plan, you're not just helping the poor dog but the children as well :) I really hope she accepts the help

1 - 20 of 44 Posts